Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Best Tadpole Trike for the Buck

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Best Tadpole Trike for the Buck

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 09:19 PM
AlexZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
Frame quality is way better on the Performer.

Just look at these two example of the welds:

Looks like toothpaste on the Stowaway:

Textbook fillets on the Performer:

Yes, one is steel and one is aluminum, so they will look different at the welds, but I think these two pics tell the tale quite well.
Toothpaste?! You are way too kind sir....That really looks like crap.
Old 10-24-15, 09:16 AM
Brickguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gbalke
I'm interested in buying my first recumbent, something both my wife and I could ride.
My thoughts were to find a good quality trike, tadpole design, that won't break the bank. I did some research online and like the looks of the TerraTrike Path. I'd like to get some opinions from trike owners on the Path and other bikes.
I bought an electric assisted recumbent tadpole from China.
Recumbent Tricycle - Shop Cheap Recumbent Tricycle from China Recumbent Tricycle Suppliers at Merck Cycle on Aliexpress.com

It is an excellent trike. Everyone that has test rode it loves it. The assist helps you get up a grade or pull away quickly at a stop sign. I am 63 and enjoy the ride. It has all the options I think you can get on a trike.
Old 10-24-15, 11:32 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Looks as if the OP bought a trike for his wife four years ago but I don't see a recumbent in his list of current bikes. Still looking? (This Zombie Thread has been asleep four years.)
Old 10-24-15, 12:12 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Looks as if the OP bought a trike for his wife four years ago but I don't see a recumbent in his list of current bikes. Still looking? (This Zombie Thread has been asleep four years.)
I'm here, I'm here. Saw the thread had been resurrected, so time for an update. Home built trike I bought for the wife was given to my son. I did buy a Path, from mobilemiall. Great deal as he installed a Patterson drive up front. Trike is generally used on bike paths, paved as well as compacted limestone as with the Katy Trail.

Thinking of adding some type of electric assist, just not sure which one. Looking at either a Ridekick trailer or a self contained hub motor. The Ridekick is less expensive at around $700 and I can use it on my trike or any one of my vintage British bicycles. The two hub motors are $1,000 plus and will need to be permanently installed on the trike, so I loose some flexibility as far as what I choose to ride.

I also need to check out that Chinese E trike Brickguy mentioned. At $1,500, I could buy that and keep the Path for my wife.
Old 10-24-15, 01:29 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Pretty heavy trikes from China

I went and took a look at the trikes that showed up on the Alibaba link above. The best word for these trikes based upon the specifications listed is OBESE. Here's the comparison for three of the 8 at that link
Best Seller: $1,444 + $595 for shipping Stated weight 28 kg which converts to 61.6 pounds
Least Expensive: $829 + $595 for shipping Stated weight 28 kg which converts to 61.6 pounds
Model with 500W motor: $1,559 + $669 for shipping Stated weight 33 kg which converts to 72.6 pounds
The others aren't any lighter or cheaper to ship. Note: The shipping weight is listed separately.

You can make fun of the Stowaway II which costs $1,800 + $125 for shipping but at least it has decent components and weighs 38.8 pounds (17.6 kg). The drive train components on the China trikes are the lowest, entry level Shimano parts. The cost of shipping from China is the real killer. I don't hesitate to buy stuff from China sellers but wouldn't consider anything so heavy and expensive to ship. I've seen a Stowaway I up close and rode with the owner. It was pretty impressive, considering the low cost compared to comparable trikes. If you have a problem with a Stowaway, the seller is here in the US (NC). Thom Flor has a good reputation for dealing with customers after the sale. Try dealing with sellers half a world away. These trikes all have a rear brake. Very few trikes come with rear brakes that are not parking brakes. For good reason as applying a rear brake can cause the rear wheel to slide sideways while stopping.
Old 10-26-15, 06:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Being generally at the lower end of the cost scale, one of the Terratrike models probably has the best bang for the buck. I ride a 4 year old Terratrike Cruiser, and it has been flawless, and great fun to ride.
Old 10-27-15, 02:58 AM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
You can score some pretty good deal by watching the classifieds at Bentrider Online. (and Craigslist). I would buy a good used trike over a low end or unknown trike any day.
Old 10-27-15, 03:05 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by mobilemail
You can score some pretty good deal by watching the classifieds at Bentrider Online. (and Craigslist). I would buy a good used trike over a low end or unknown trike any day.
Agree....got one from them, 11 years old with only less than 400 miles on it.

Seller included 3 New Tire and tubes

Old 10-28-15, 08:13 AM
dit

Bikes: 2 Centurian Ironman, Rossin Genisis, Greenspeed GT3, Stowaway (wife)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did both....bought new and used and I have no complaints about either. I ended up with a used Greenspeed GT3 and it is a fine machine IMO. I then bought the wife a new Stowaway II and she just loves it. I also considered a Performer but I liked the idea of the seller of the Stowaway being here in the states and Tom did do us a real favor. He suggeted a 154mm set of cranks and they been great for the wifes bad knees
Old 05-10-16, 05:30 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Just ordered a Sun EcoTad from Utah Trikes.Cant wait to get on it and ride to see what all the fuss is about with these bent trikes.lol
Old 05-11-16, 11:10 AM
teddie

Bikes: Sun Eco Tadpole SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Sun Eco Tad SX i can not say enough about it, I ride just about everyday and it's a pleasure to ride, I'm not sore when I get home, one has to get use to it, it uses different muscles than the traditional bikes, but this is way better for me! I'm the one saying c'mon son lets go for a ride!

Best investment in my health I've ever bought! You won't be sorry
Old 05-14-16, 06:39 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by teddie
I have a Sun Eco Tad SX i can not say enough about it, I ride just about everyday and it's a pleasure to ride, I'm not sore when I get home, one has to get use to it, it uses different muscles than the traditional bikes, but this is way better for me! I'm the one saying c'mon son lets go for a ride!

Best investment in my health I've ever bought! You won't be sorry
Thanks Teddie I just received the trike last night and took it out this afternoon.Its a nice trike and already I'm starting to outfit it with a rack.It will take me a little bit of time to adjust to since I noticed it does work a few different muscles then usual.I find I can't cheat by standing up on the crank and giving it the old heave-ho lol like you can with a regular bike. How have you outfitted your ride so far?
Old 06-06-16, 08:01 PM
mriley
mriley

Bikes: vintage Schwinn

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I have ridden a Terratrike Rover 8 for several years and am very happy with it. Less expensive than most as well. If you and your wife have much different leg lengths, sharing any trike will be a problem. Seat adjustment is not as easy as on a DF bike.
M Riley
Old 06-21-16, 08:02 PM
Guntrainer

Bikes: Catrike 700

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being an old Roadie, I decided to "Buy once, cry once" and bought a new Catrike 700.

Speed is close to my old Cannondale and is a lot more fun. I can go off into woolgathering mode or crank it up.

Won't ride the DF bikes again. No complaints, the trike exceeded my expectations.
Old 06-26-16, 07:16 PM
Brickguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trike

I am very satisfied with my trike from ZZMerck.com. It has electric assist and has been very dependable. For a 63 year old guy that needs exercise, this is a good buy. $1,500 total price, delivered in 48 hours to Missouri.