Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ok, so what's the big deal about TA bottle cages?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ok, so what's the big deal about TA bottle cages?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 08:34 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
I've enjoyed the Nitto water bottle cages on several of my vintage bikes. They are lovely things, here on my 70s Nishiki Professional in a Minora dual handlebar mount.

Old 06-03-19, 08:54 AM
kohl57

Bikes: https://www.ipernity.com/doc/286349/album/550107

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
The REG cages with the plastic top bracket are essential kit for 1970s Italian machines. And never mind that the plastic often broke. You gotta have one. Along with the Mariplast bidons with the lid keeper that also twisted and broke off. One of the joys of collecting (and more importantly riding) classic bicycles is coveting, spending lots on and using often defective and poorly made stuff. Indeed, the rare stuff is often also what broke or wore out in the first place.

Bidons have always been collectible on their own and often fetch eyewatering prices especially the early plastic ones from the 1960s; they are far rarer than the more durable alloy ones they replaced. Worse, you'll never find any of this on this side of the Atlantic and with shipping costs from Europe approaching $25-30 alone for a single bottle, these little details are wallet busters.

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

Last edited by kohl57; 06-03-19 at 09:00 AM.
Likes For kohl57:
Old 06-03-19, 10:23 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by kohl57
The REG cages with the plastic top bracket are essential kit for 1970s Italian machines. And never mind that the plastic often broke. You gotta have one. Along with the Mariplast bidons with the lid keeper that also twisted and broke off. One of the joys of collecting (and more importantly riding) classic bicycles is coveting, spending lots on and using often defective and poorly made stuff. Indeed, the rare stuff is often also what broke or wore out in the first place.

Bidons have always been collectible on their own and often fetch eyewatering prices especially the early plastic ones from the 1960s; they are far rarer than the more durable alloy ones they replaced. Worse, you'll never find any of this on this side of the Atlantic and with shipping costs from Europe approaching $25-30 alone for a single bottle, these little details are wallet busters.

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA
The beautiful imported French and Italian water bottles were part of the mystique of cycling, at least to a kid in small town America. I still remember ogling them in the bike shop glass display case. They were also an entry most of us could afford. I'm sure I'm not the only one. That's likely partly why the current prices are so high. BITD they were very inexpensive. To racers they were basically disposable, which is part of why they are rare today. I get warm fuzzy nostalgic feelings looking at them, but not so much I'd spend the current market price for one, just for a now useless prop to put on a display bike. If it's worth it to you I respect that though. Agreed that no new bottles look right.

FWIW, Mariplast bottles were my favorite bottles, and I have owned many of them. None of them ever broke at the lid keeper thing. Presumably the plastic was less brittle when they were new.
Old 06-03-19, 09:47 PM
michael.anger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all! There is surprisingly much to learn about bottle cages!
Old 06-03-19, 11:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
TA cages stuck around and stayed in (granted very small) demand for so long because they were one of the best ever for keeping your waterbottle on the bike. The aluminum cages that came about in the '80s were known to shed bottles on hard enough bumps. A properly bent TA never did. I heard (several times over the years) that TA was still making those cages long after they dried u in the US market because pro riders insisted. No, not the names you've heard of. The lowly domestiques on lesser teams who would be far from the team car but had to finish the stage to start the next. For them, a cage that didn't shed bottles could be career saving.

On top of that, really old TA cages didn't break mid-ride. The welds did fail, eventually. But I always noticed this at home. One weld gone. Never had a cage break mid-ride. And I used them for decades and many 10s of thousands of miles. When the source dried up (here in the US), I had to make my old cages go another decade or two until I learned of Chris King's cages.

The crazy TA prices are nuts - now, since you can settle for the excellent SS Chris Kings at $19. But compared to the cages of the 15 years after TA? If keeping your water bottle is a career essential move? Probably justified.

Ben
Old 06-04-19, 06:24 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I'm still using a Reg from the '70s. One advantage of a TA or similar cage over a King is you can clamp it on without any kind of external device. That was necessary back then because most bikes had no or 1 set of braze-ons.
Old 06-04-19, 08:38 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
I've enjoyed the Nitto water bottle cages on several of my vintage bikes. They are lovely things, here on my 70s Nishiki Professional in a Minora dual handlebar mount.
These Nitto cages are super nice.
Old 06-04-19, 08:40 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I have a two late 1960s TA cages that need to be re-chromed. I wonder what that would cost;
Old 06-04-19, 09:23 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
TA cages stuck around and stayed in (granted very small) demand for so long because they were one of the best ever for keeping your waterbottle on the bike. The aluminum cages that came about in the '80s were known to shed bottles on hard enough bumps.
The 70s TA aluminum cages didn't shed bottles. At least mine never did. They were far superior to the cheap 80s version. Plus they had metallic gold clips. Can't beat that...

Gratuitous pic below, since this is after all a thread on TA bottle cages. Lots and lots of miles on this one, obviously.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 06-04-19 at 10:44 PM.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 06-04-19, 10:40 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
What was not to like? They were the standard and they were way sturdier than the completion. You could rely on them holding your bottle and not breaking (unlike the competition).
Old 02-10-22, 12:25 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Yes this is an old thread, but I wonder if any respondents really noticed what the OP was describing.

I was idly wondering about obtaining a TA handlebar cage like the one I had on my '70s Romana long ago, partly because I thought it looked old-school even then. This one:

This particular NOS one with the label still attached is marked down from $275 to $219 now, due to end soon. A used one is listed at $123. I'm sorry, but this is nuts. Damn Darn the self-glorification exercise that is Eroica. A frenzy of one-upmanship that they charge you money to participate! I glanced at the California Eroica web page, and discovered that wearing sunglasses was frowned upon. Not for me. Maybe I'd feel differently if I took part, but I have no desire at this point. And prices like these are what comes of it, IMO.
Old 02-10-22, 06:49 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
...a frenzy of one-upmanship that they charge you money to participate!
See something shiny, covet it, buy it. Sounds like an average day in the western world.
Thank god I'm running out of money as I get older.
Likes For clubman:
Old 02-10-22, 08:02 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Yes this is an old thread, but I wonder if any respondents really noticed what the OP was describing.

I was idly wondering about obtaining a TA handlebar cage like the one I had on my '70s Romana long ago, partly because I thought it looked old-school even then. This one:

This particular NOS one with the label still attached is marked down from $275 to $219 now, due to end soon. A used one is listed at $123. I'm sorry, but this is nuts. Damn Darn the self-glorification exercise that is Eroica. A frenzy of one-upmanship that they charge you money to participate! I glanced at the California Eroica web page, and discovered that wearing sunglasses was frowned upon. Not for me. Maybe I'd feel differently if I took part, but I have no desire at this point. And prices like these are what comes of it, IMO.
The T.A. handlebar cages are great! I bought one back in the 70's, and then picked up a couple more about 20 years ago. The price was closer to $40 twenty years ago. Until someone starts producing replicas, or demand drops, I don't see why the price wouldn't keep going higher. Maybe this will provide the incentive for Nitto to copy the design in stainless steel rod??

I don't do Eroica, but do still use these bar cages on three bikes.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 02-11-22, 11:20 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's pretty silly. I really don't give a hoot what my bottle cages look like.

The TA might have invented that design, and many companies copied it for a few years. As a result, it looks as plain as can be to my eyes. That's probably because I "came of age" right around that time.
I am with you. Modern cages look "close enough" for my purposes.

1973 Brooks Pro on the 1959 Capo. Still serviceable, plan to put on a different bike. Campag. crankset shown

Old photo. Now has new maroon(!) Brooks Pro, Nervar Star two-ring crankset instead of three-ring Campag., and, by popular request, shortened brake cable housings.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-11-22, 11:49 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I am with you. Modern cages look "close enough" for my purposes.

1973 Brooks Pro on the 1959 Capo. Still serviceable, plan to put on a different bike. Campag. crankset shown

Old photo. Now has new maroon(!) Brooks Pro, Nervar Star two-ring crankset instead of three-ring Campag., and, by popular request, shortened brake cable housings.
That does look good! Glad to hear about the shorter cable housings.
I've used the Minoura adapter that allows a conventional bottle cage to be used on the handlebar, and it's not bad. Certainly better than paying $100 for a T.A. cage.

Still, the T.A. h'bar cage is such a nicely designed item that I'd love to see someone make a reproduction. One neat feature is the use of the raised portion at the forward side of the cage. As shown in the photo below, the bit that sticks up in the front acts as a nice guide when putting the bottle in the cage. By comparison, when you mount a conventional cage on the handlebar, the raised bit is at the rear, somewhat blocking easy access to the cage. Granted, it's not a problem, but the T.A. cage is just nicer to use, and a sign that T.A. was actually thinking about how improve the basic cage. That sort of thinking is probably why they dominated the bottle cage business for so long.

Steve in Peoria
Old 02-11-22, 02:52 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts

If you've got that kind of cage, you start looking for an anodized aluminum water bottle with a cork. Which were still available back when I started serious cycling ('70-71), but disappear rather completely by 1973.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-11-22, 03:26 PM
vtchuck

Bikes: Romic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
I once owned this spring clamp REG cage and insulated bottle. Looks like it was made from Erector set parts.

The spring clamp was apt to pinch my fingers.

Old 02-12-22, 10:42 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's pretty silly. I really don't give a hoot what my bottle cages look like.

The TA might have invented that design, and many companies copied it for a few years. As a result, it looks as plain as can be to my eyes. That's probably because I "came of age" right around that time.
We often overlook the best designs because their form fits so well with the intended function, especially if that design becomes ubiquitous. I was thinking this same thing when I had an 90's vintage Corelle Corningware coffee mug staring in front of me the other day. That mug was probably produce into the 100's of thousands, but the shape just feels "known" when you pick one up. The lines are graceful, without an atom of showiness or fad or waste. I think there would be a case to argue that the TA water bottle cage fits in this catagory. Only when things slide from ubiquity do we pause and give them a 2nd look and thought.
Likes For uncle uncle: