Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubular tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-22, 01:57 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Tubular tires

Ive been keeping my eyes out for some carbon wheels, and found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/11533679859...cAAOSwFVxiJpnv which looks like a steal, but ive never dealt with tubular. From a short google search it seems like slightly dated technology, but still useful for racers. I was thinking about putting this on a bike to ride around town for errands instead of racing, is tubular a stupid idea for that application? This wheel is much cheaper than others listed, and I wonder if its because its tubular or because there aren't enough close pictures or something else. thanks.

edit: placed bid

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 04-12-22 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-12-22, 02:02 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts

Last edited by mprince; 04-12-22 at 03:53 PM.
Likes For mprince:
Old 04-12-22, 02:37 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I was thinking about putting this on a bike to ride around town for errands instead of racing, is tubular a stupid idea for that application?
Yes.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 04-12-22, 03:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Very practical. Go for it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-12-22, 03:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Go for it...hopefully tubulars will stop you from being a nuisance to other riders by asking them for tubes.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-14-22, 09:42 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Ive been keeping my eyes out for some carbon wheels, and found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/11533679859...cAAOSwFVxiJpnv which looks like a steal, but ive never dealt with tubular. From a short google search it seems like slightly dated technology, but still useful for racers.
Tubulars are still used extensively in bike racing. However, those wheels are really, really dated technology
Old 04-14-22, 09:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Doesn't sound like a great move for someone who does not want to be self-sufficient, but sure, I'll follow along...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-14-22, 10:25 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Woah, Spinergy Rev X, the "spinning blades of death". Blast from the past!
Old 04-14-22, 10:27 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If you have never used tubulars, I’d pass. Just because the wheels look cool, don’t buy them. They are freewheel wheels and most likely will just sit and never be used. And few people will be interested in buying them from you. A waste of $200.

Also, there is exponentially less chance anyone will be able to help you out if you get a flat.

I’m not sure you can retract your bid, but because there are more than 2 days before it ends, you should be able to cancel it. Don’t wait.

John
Old 04-14-22, 12:06 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If you have never used tubulars, I’d pass. Just because the wheels look cool, don’t buy them. They are freewheel wheels and most likely will just sit and never be used. And few people will be interested in buying them from you. A waste of $200.

Also, there is exponentially less chance anyone will be able to help you out if you get a flat.

I’m not sure you can retract your bid, but because there are more than 2 days before it ends, you should be able to cancel it. Don’t wait.

John
What do you mean by this, whats wrong with the 7 speed freewheel?
Old 04-14-22, 12:11 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Woah, Spinergy Rev X, the "spinning blades of death". Blast from the past!
Yeah i'm kind of excited, hopefully it doesnt explode. Plan on keeping it on a commuter/shopper for a weird flex
Old 04-14-22, 12:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
With those wheels, you'll be able to bandit any charity event at any time, and no one will ever question your participation. In fact, you'll have so much bike cred, you'll be able to bring a dozen friends with you on the ride, and it won't cost any of you a dime.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-14-22, 12:26 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
If you ride on tubulars, it's easier to strike up a conversation with the opposite sex... shirt or no shirt.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 04-14-22, 12:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
You are headed down a path that could become a real pain. 7-speed FWs are known to break axles because there is a long portion of axle between the bearings on the drive side and the dropout. Larger and stronger riders have much more issues with them. I gather from your previous posts you are strong and not easy on gear.

I don't know what you know about tubular tires. They and their mounting system is radically different and there is zero cross-compatibility. Also, no-one else on your ride is going to be using them. That means when you flat *(and you will) it is fix, replace, get a ride or walk home. Fixing takes hours, skill and a special patch kit none of your fellow riders is going to have. Replacing the tire isn't hard but two caveats. 1) you have to be carrying a spare. No one else is going to have one and very few shops will have one. And 2) unless you address this specifically, a road change spare will have minimal "stick" and have to be babied along until you get home and can re-glue it.

Edit: The wheels are cheap because on one wants the system. Plus Spinergy wheels were famous for issues decades ago. but even high quality conservative race and training tubular wheels are easy to find cheap now.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-14-22 at 12:45 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-14-22, 12:46 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
You are headed down a path that could become a real pain. 7-speed FWs are known to break axles because there is a long portion of axle between the bearings on the drive side and the dropout. Larger and stronger riders have much more issues with them. I gather from your previous posts you are strong and not easy on gear.

I don't know what you know about tubular tires. They and their mounting system is radically different and there is zero cross-compatibility. Also, no-one else on your ride is going to be using them. That means when you flat *(and you will) it is fix, replace, get a ride or walk home. Fixing takes hours, skill and a special patch kit none of your fellow riders is going to have. Replacing the tire isn't hard but two caveats. 1) you have to be carrying a spare. No one else is going to have one and very few shops will have one. And 2) unless you address this specifically, a road change spare will have minimal "stick" and have to be babied along until you get home and can re-glue it.
yeah ive broken atleast one (I think two but one is undiagnosed) axil on 7 speed freewheels, kind of thought that the one on this spinergy might be an older and better build quality than the new trashy ones I'm used to.
Old 04-14-22, 01:38 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Uh huh.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-14-22, 02:01 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

What do you mean by this, whats wrong with the 7 speed freewheel?
30+ years ago, not a lot. I still have one bike that is running a 7 speed freewheel. I’ve been doing this since there were cog boards at your local LBS.

The problem arises when you buy a tubular racing wheelset. If it doesn’t work out for you, few people will want that wheelset.

My understanding is that tubeless sealant can be used in tubulars. This helps if you get a flat. But if the sealant fails, the only access to the tube is to open the stitching, tubulars are sewn together, and hopefully pull the tube out far enough to patch and then sew it back together and glue it to the rim.

For a grocery getter this seems an enormous amount of effort for the accolades you’ll get for those rims.

John
Old 04-14-22, 02:04 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
30+ years ago, not a lot. I still have one bike that is running a 7 speed freewheel. I been doing this since there were cog boards at your local LBS.

The problem arises when you buy a tubular racing wheelset. If it doesn’t work out for you, few people will want that wheelset.

My understanding is that tubeless sealant can be used in tubulars. This helps if you get a flat. But if the sealant fails, the only access to the tube is to open the stitching, tubulars are sewn together, and hopefully pull the tube out far enough to patch and then sew it back together and glue it to the rim.

For a grocery getter this seems an enormous amount of effort for the accolades you’ll get for those rims.

John
I thought spinergy rev x wheels will only go up in price over time. The technology is outdated but the cult following is not going to go away any time soon, its a timeless wheel. Tubular makes it more unique even if only I know. People will buy them just to hang on a wall. I admit the 7 speed is pretty ugly on it
Old 04-14-22, 02:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Go for it...hopefully tubulars will stop you from being a nuisance to other riders by asking them for tubes.
Post of the Day.

So you start a thread looking for advice, and then -- before anyone posts anything -- you make a bid.

Gosh, Larry, it's almost as if you don't really want honest advice.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-14-22, 02:11 PM
70sSanO

Depends on the cult. Most of them die off with the generation. And tubular wheels are probably dead for most people regardless of generation.

If they were clinchers, that “may” be a different story. Still, when the cult needs to explain the desirability to later generations who run tubeless on better wheels, I’d expect a shrug.

John
Old 04-14-22, 02:30 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I thought spinergy rev x wheels will only go up in price over time. The technology is outdated but the cult following is not going to go away any time soon, its a timeless wheel. Tubular makes it more unique even if only I know. People will buy them just to hang on a wall. I admit the 7 speed is pretty ugly on it
If I recall, those wheels were close to $1000 per pair back in the 90's. I have yet to see them go up in value.
Old 04-14-22, 02:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
The cheapest tubular tires you can get are probably going to run you $50 each, and they'll be really skinny.
And they need to be glued on.
And if you get a flat, you can't just put in a new tube, you have to put on a whole tire, which you'll have to carry, so you'll need to buy 3 tires. You may be able to get by bumming $5 tubes from passersby, but nobody's gonna give you their tubular tire if you get a flat.
And any tubular you could afford will probably be really skinny.

Then there's the wheel. You weigh 250, you say, which may be beyond what NEW Spinergy wheels were rated for.
You're looking at a rear wheel, which would be carrying most of your weight.
If it's a 130mm wheel, the axle is prone to bending, and you'd be putting a lot of weight on it.
Rev-X wheels are famous for catastrophic failure, even under riders who weigh a lot less than you
These wheels are probably 30 years old, with who knows how much use
You'd be buying without having seen or handled them.
You're not known for taking good care of your stuff.

But apart from all that.....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-14-22, 02:45 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
a weird flex
This might happen.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-14-22, 02:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
You knew nothing about the wheels at the start of this thread and you are now a confident speculator on the projected value of the wheels moving forward?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-14-22, 03:15 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by urbanknight
If I recall, those wheels were close to $1000 per pair back in the 90's. I have yet to see them go up in value.
I thought that they were couple hundred dollars a decade ago and have been steadily increasing in price. Atleast the ones that have been converted to fixed with the surly fixer are rising in price

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.