Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

On sabbatical

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

On sabbatical

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 10:02 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
On sabbatical

Duty calls --- I may not regale the C&V kingdom with tales of ebay wrong doing or major parts bike scores for a little while

My vocation , )and what keeps many Oklahoma C&V machines alive ) is claims adjuster and I just got the call to go to Baton Rouge to help

I take for granted the fact that i'm pretty fortunate overall despite my complaints
My late summer/early fall plans included lots of downhill MTB'ing in NM and CO, as well as plenty of C&V Tomfoolery

Duty calls instead ----- after trying to make contact with a number of my policyholders to set times to inspect and hearing about people with 4', 6', 8' of water in their homes -- I had to shake it off by saying
-- "My job is an extreme sport - just a slow burning one "

Waiting for flood waters to recede so you can help someone put their life back together can be fulfilling in its own way --- even though, as an insurance company "stooge" - I will get dog cussed 50 times before this stint is over

I'll likely check in when things start to level out down there ---

Last edited by DMC707; 08-16-16 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 12:09 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Duty calls --- I may not regale the C&V kingdom with tales of ebay wrong doing or major parts bike scores for a little while

My vocation , )and what keeps many Oklahoma C&V machines alive ) is claims adjuster and I just got the call to go to Baton Rouge to help

I take for granted the fact that i'm pretty fortunate overall despite my complaints
My late summer/early fall plans included lots of downhill MTB'ing in NM and CO, as well as plenty of C&V Tomfoolery

Duty calls instead ----- after trying to make contact with a number of my policyholders to set times to inspect and hearing about people with 4', 6', 8' of water in their homes -- I had to shake it off by saying
-- "My job is an extreme sport - just a slow burning one "

Waiting for flood waters to recede so you can help someone put their life back together can be fulfilling in its own way --- even though, as an insurance company "stooge" - I will get dog cussed 50 times before this stint is over

I'll likely check in when things start to level out down there ---
Good on ya, when the powers that be give the green light its a beautiful thing right when people need it most.
Old 08-17-16, 03:28 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Helping others is a very rewarding way to invest one's time. Kudos to you and best of luck with helping those in need.
Old 08-17-16, 06:48 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
For those families and businesses not in flood plains, I wish them the best. For those in flood plains, I hope they have flood insurance and wish them the best as well, but I think they really need to understand the inherent perils of living where they live and consider relocating to higher ground for their own safety and peace-of-mind.

I know nothing about LA building codes, but I would hope it incorporates Federal standards which require new construction or major rebuilding to be raised above flood stage and that your client, the insurers, or Federal flood insurance will pay for that added construction cost.
Old 08-17-16, 06:52 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
As said above, doing good for others is a worthwhile project/profession. Take care while you are down there, like my location, it gets some kind of hot and humid, and with the flooding it will be even worse, now. Be safe and let us know how things are should you have a chance.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-17-16, 06:58 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Bless the souls of all those in LA. Thank you for your help. Be well.
Old 08-17-16, 07:45 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Be safe. Carry DEET.
Old 08-17-16, 08:01 AM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked 3,095 Times in 913 Posts
Best of luck, be safe.

I have to ask. I'm sure the occasion arises when you're surveying some unfortunate damage and you see a nice bike, maybe gathering dust in the rafters of a garage. Do you ask about it? "Nice bike, get out on it much?"
Old 08-17-16, 08:32 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by velocivixen
bless the souls of all those in la. Thank you for your help. Be well.
+1
Old 08-17-16, 09:58 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by oddjob2
I know nothing about LA building codes, but I would hope it incorporates Federal standards which require new construction or major rebuilding to be raised above flood stage and that your client, the insurers, or Federal flood insurance will pay for that added construction cost.
There is some assistance for that -- but there are a lot of slab foundation homes in this area (can't be raised ) and older homes were built before the flood zones were mapped that don't require being brought up to compliance -- so mostly its just repairing what they have and moving on

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
As said above, doing good for others is a worthwhile project/profession. Take care while you are down there, like my location, it gets some kind of hot and humid, and with the flooding it will be even worse, now. Be safe and let us know how things are should you have a chance.
Bill
Thanks
packing the truck now --- Florida is overdue for a hurricane as well -- i'm already tired so i'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen this year

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Be safe. Carry DEET.
Will do --- DEET and a Camelback --this is a cycling accessory I get a lot of use out of for hot muggy home inspections as well

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Best of luck, be safe.

I have to ask. I'm sure the occasion arises when you're surveying some unfortunate damage and you see a nice bike, maybe gathering dust in the rafters of a garage. Do you ask about it? "Nice bike, get out on it much?"
It hasn't happened as often as one might think --- in this case, Louisiana is even less cycling friendly than Oklahoma -- I doubt i'll see much . I keep my eye out but I don't know how I would ever broach the subject about liberating their dusty gold while at the same time handling their insurance claim

Last week I did see a formerly high end GT Avalanche XT equipped mtb from 1990 (I remember wanting one back then) leaning against the back of someone's home, and had been for years -- was a nice bike once and sort of a classic MTB model- such a waste , but after looking at all the alloy bits that were chalked over with oxidation and a chain and freewheel welded together with rust and corrosion on all steel fasteners , - I just shook my head and kept walking

I do recall a customer in Baltimore with a nice Pinarello and his whole house was decorated with cycling-centric framed posters , --- when his claim was concluded, we had beers and seafood a couple of times at a neighborhood pub. I'm currently trying to renovate a loft over my garage in a similar fashion

Another customer in Colorado with a pair of his n hers fillet brazed Ritchey mtb's from the very early days which were supposedly brazed by Ritchey himself -- alas, i'm 5'9 and these machines were for tall folk-- but they were just hanging on the guys' garage wall , unridden for 25 years or more

BAton Rouge in particular - DOES have a velodrome though-- its tucked back into a city park somewhat like San Diego's -- you would think there would be some dusty old track bikes lurking about

Last edited by DMC707; 08-17-16 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-17-16, 10:15 AM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked 3,095 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
T I keep my eye out but I don't know how I would ever broach the subject about liberating their dusty gold while at the same time handling their insurance claim
Yeah I wondered about that. " Well, if you're looking for a way to recoup some of your deductible"
Old 08-17-16, 10:37 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
Good luck, you're doing good work.
Old 08-17-16, 10:49 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Be safe,
watch out for snakes, fire ants, gators and other displaced wildlife.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 08-17-16, 10:52 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
For those families and businesses not in flood plains, I wish them the best. For those in flood plains, I hope they have flood insurance and wish them the best as well, but I think they really need to understand the inherent perils of living where they live and consider relocating to higher ground for their own safety and peace-of-mind.

Just as an FYI, the areas that were hit hardest have never flooded like this before. Tangipahoa Parish is not in the major floodplain- it is not the Mississippi River that is overflowing. There has been so much construction in these areas, especially around Baton Rouge, due to people relocating from the higher-risk areas farther south that there is no where else for the water to go now and rivers are quite literally flowing backwards in some areas. And no, quite a few of them do not have flood insurance because they were not living in a flood-prone area. Our local news is reporting that 75% of the homes in Tangipahoa Parish are rendered unlivable now.
Old 08-17-16, 03:03 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
If you want some inspirational (and somewhat harrowing) reading material for your trip, I recommend "Zeitoun" by Dave Eggers, a totally gripping real-life story of a guy who stayed behind during Katrina and the post-hurricane ordeal that he endured.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 08-17-16, 05:29 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Any particular reason for bringing up our now overdue status for a fresh hurricane? I still cringe from 2004-2005 with Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina raking us over. And even '95, with Erin and Opal hitting us dead on, still gives me the willies.

At least I won't have to help the Navy stack aircraft in the hangers like I did in way too many of the 95-09 storms, while we were working on the hangars, and ATC tower, at NAS Whiting Field.

Take care, and listen to all of us advising you to be safe, please.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-01-16, 10:09 PM
DMC707

Hi fellas ! --- I'm sort of back

Ive been to Louisiana and seen things that will stay with me forever, but sadly, as an insurance adjuster, --- my participation requires people to have insurance for flood ---- (a lot of areas of Baton Rouge were never projected to flood )
So this trip was relatively short ----- I checked the forums on my I-pad periodically at bedtime , and even commented on a couple, --- but I dare say my ebay Tom-foolery slowed down to a crawl

-- I am back home now, but am actively monitoring the Florida situation

---- Very very poor C&V pickins' on the local BAton Rouge and even New Awlins CL --- BAton Rouge has a velodrome that didn't flood -- I wrongly figured I could pick up a track bike at a modest price to get some spirited exercise on the boards (well .... not boards anymore .. concrete 333m)

I have spent many days at that 'drome in the past so I was glad to see it was still alive and well

Anyway --- i have resumed my normal activity ---- current challenge is trying to outfit my 90's era Italian machines with Campy branded pedals --- Fun Fun