Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why not use a double crank with a 10-42 cassette?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 12:05 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

In brief: I've never see anyone use a SRAM 10-42 11-speed cassette with a double crank, but the Shimano XT 11-speed rear derailleur I have seems to shift across the 10-42 range just fine with the chain on either of the 26 or 36 tooth chainrings (Shimano 11-speed crank). The cassette is only 1 tooth off of Shimano's normally quite conservative specs. The chain is a Shimano 11-speed. So is there any reason not to use this setup?

The full story: I'm getting my hardtail MTB ready to sell. I rode it with a Rohloff hub, but that's now going on my e-cargo bike, so I'm putting a mostly-new 2x11 transmission on the MTB to sell it. A friend has an ideal pair of wheels that come with an XD freehub body and a SRAM 10-42 11-speed cassette. The hub is unbranded and has no markings (OEM on a Boardman bike) and when I removed the freehub body it wasn't any brand that I recognize, so I'm giving up on the option of trying to source a Shimano freehub body. So, to use these wheels I need to use this cassette.

I thought about offering the buyer the option of having a single front chainring, 30 teeth instead of the 26-36 double, but then I thought why would anyone choose that given the option of having a double at the same price? Surely 2x11 is better than 1x11. More gears and wider range is better, right? I still don't get people's obsession with eliminating chainrings - front derailleurs are quite practical and generally work very well (as long as they're not labeled SRAM). Anyway, that's a bit off-topic.

As long as no-one points out something that I'm missing then this bike is being sold with 26-36 chainrings and a 10-42 cassette. Why not?

Old 05-12-20, 12:14 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
The limit of the rear derailleur's ability to take up chain slack is why you usually see super wide range cassettes used in 1x setups but not 2x set-ups.

But your cassette is a 10-42, not a 10-50, and your chain rings are 10 teeth apart, not 14 or whatever. Your max tooth differential (the amount of slack the derailleur has to handle) is 42, which is pretty close to slack a derailleur handles on a 10-50. It helps, too, that it's on a hardtail, and you don't have to worry about rear suspension travel.
Old 05-12-20, 12:16 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
The limit of the rear derailleur's ability to take up chain slack is why you usually see super wide range cassettes used in 1x setups but not 2x set-ups.

But your cassette is a 10-42, not a 10-50, and your chain rings are 10 teeth apart, not 14 or whatever. Your max tooth differential (the amount of slack the derailleur has to handle) is 42, which is pretty close to slack a derailleur handles on a 10-50. It helps, too, that it's on a hardtail, and you don't have to worry about rear suspension travel.
Yep, absolutely no problem with having a slack chain in the small-small and there's still a reasonable cage articulation in big-big, so I'm not worried about chain wrap capacity.
Old 05-12-20, 03:28 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Shimano made a mtn bike 2x11 setup using a 11-40 cassette option for XC racers so you aren't really pushing it much over the recommended going 10-42. As for why not use it? Because when mtn biking I don't need to be able to pedal at 35mph, it adds weigh and complexity. I don't need that gear range to make it simple. For a mixed use bike it can make more sense.
Old 05-12-20, 03:59 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Have you plugged your gears into a gear calculator to see what kind of overlap etc. you have?
How about after eliminating a gear on each end to allow for cross chaining?
I would imagine with some combinations that there is little gain. Especially compared to a "primitive" 3X9, which apparently has become overly complicated up front over the last few years with that FDER thingy.
Old 05-13-20, 04:56 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Have you plugged your gears into a gear calculator to see what kind of overlap etc. you have?
I would imagine with some combinations that there is little gain. Especially compared to a "primitive" 3X9, which apparently has become overly complicated up front over the last few years with that FDER thingy.
I am quite happy with my even more primitive 3X7 setups....
Old 05-13-20, 11:44 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
It was a brilliant idea to put the chainrings on the rear and a cog from a cassette on the front and charge 5 times the cost of a normal cassette. Tell everyone it is simpler and lighter and amazingly better.
Cos no one could make a FD that shifted nice. It just couldn't be done.