Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Top Tube Bag

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Top Tube Bag

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 07:47 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Top Tube Bag

My top tube is longer than any top tube bag I have looked at. I like the Ortlieb top tube bag, but conveniently, in all the ads, the bag is the same length as the top tube. Can the bag be used effectively, and be held securely, when shorter than the top tube? Just mount it to the seat tube, and top tube, securely, and that should do it? Does anyone have any experience with the Ortlieb TT bag? I have their handlebar, and seat bags, and like them. Thank you.
Old 10-12-21, 05:51 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I assume you really mean frame bag - a bag that hangs from the top tube and uses the space in the main "triangle" of the bike between the top tube, down tube and seat tube? Top tube bags go on top of the top tube and are almost always shorter (much shorter) than the top tube.

I've never used an Ortleib frame bag, but on my old Trek 520 sometimes used a small frame bag and had no problems. I kinda liked it because it kept the down tube water bottle cage in the clear.
Old 10-12-21, 06:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
It looks like it is an under the top tube and supposedly one size fits all deal according to the pictures on the Ortleib site. How well it will fit your frame could be iffy. There is a PDF file of a template to check likely fit on the ortleib site that you can print out to get an idea of fit in your frame. Between the template and the pictures you should be able to get a good idea of how it will fit. https://www.ortlieb.com/en_us/frame-pack-toptube+F9942

From the Ortleib site:
"Here template Framepack Toptube
(download PDF - print on paper (no scaling) and glue parts together)"

The REI site makes it look like it mounts on the side of the top tube and the description says it mounts above the top tube, but I think that is an error and to the pictures misleading. The Q&A section seems to clarify both counts in that it hangs under the top tube. https://www.rei.com/product/188217/o...-pack-4-liters

It looks like a nice bag but seems kind of pricey to me.

Last edited by staehpj1; 10-12-21 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-12-21, 07:15 AM
staehpj1

Depending on what you want to carry in the bag and how/when you need to access it I might suggest cheap options. Do you need quick or frequent access during the day? How waterproof does it need to be? Depending on all that something like this bag may be a great choice.

Is end loading via a drawstring acceptable? If for example, you are carrying stuff you only need to access in camp, an $8 Granite Gear 3, 4, or 5 liter extra long stuff sack or a tripod bag and some velcro straps may suffice.

When a $160 bag is really the best answer great, but sometimes a $10 solution is just as good or maybe even better in some cases. Personally I love it when those $10 solutions work out. BTW, bar rolls are another area where I think an expensive solution is often overkill.

Last edited by staehpj1; 10-12-21 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-12-21, 07:27 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I decided that I could replace two panniers by not carrying cooking or camping gear and getting a frame bag. Since I carry water in a camelbak, I don't have a need for water cages and wanted a bag that completely filled my bike triangle. I had one custom made and really like it. I keep my rain/cold weather gear, tools, first aid kit, pump, and some biking food in it. The only issue is strong side winds (common on the Golden Gate bridge).

I wrote an article with lots of photos about having this bag made. Total price was $136 in 2016.
Old 10-12-21, 08:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
If you mean a frame bag that is shorter than the top tube, I picked up a cheap (not Ortlieb) bag some years ago on Ebay. It fits great when I leave room for one water bottle on my seat tube. I however did have to sew on a velcro strap to go around the head tube. Photo is six years old.

Would that work for you?
Old 10-12-21, 09:04 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Bag

Thank you guys for the replies. This is the bag. I did print out the template, and it is well short of the total length of my top tube. Most of the pictures on bikes that I have seen, it is the same length as the top tube. It isn't close on mine. So I was just wondering if anyone has used one of these when there is a gap one side or the other on the TT. I believe the velcro straps on either end can be removed, thereby making it work. I like the Ortlieb bags, and have their seat, and handlebar bag, so was trying to keep it in the family, so to speak, expense notwithstanding.
Old 10-14-21, 06:38 AM
jpescatore

The Ortlieb site shows that as a mini-frame bag, hanging under the top tube. As long as you have the velcro loop fastened at the head tube or the seat tube, the bag will stay put and you will be fine.
Old 10-14-21, 06:44 AM
CaptMike

Thanks, JP. It looks like it would make sense to attach it to the head tube, as the zipper pulls right to left.
Old 10-14-21, 09:10 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by CaptMike
Thanks, JP. It looks like it would make sense to attach it to the head tube, as the zipper pulls right to left.
It looks like they have loops to use both head and down tube straps in the pictures. That may make for a bit more steady mounting in the forward position.

Not sure why it makes much difference which way the zipper pulls. You have to open it and close it, so one direction will be against the unsupported direction, but I doubt that is a big deal. The only issue I see might be accidental opening, but waterproof zippers are pretty stiff to operate so I doubt that is an issue. If it really is an issue you might be able to mount it with the zipper on the other side of the bike if you wanted the pull to go the other way relative to the bike. The bag probably isn't designed to go that way, but I bet you could make it work if you wanted to.

Last edited by staehpj1; 10-14-21 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-16-21, 06:54 AM
jpescatore

Here's shot of the Revelate small frame bag I use. I switched the water bottles to side load models so I can reach down and get them out while riding.

Old 10-16-21, 09:51 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I believe this is the situation you are describing. I just run a longer strap to the seat tube and it is very stable that way.

Old 04-01-22, 08:22 AM
CaptMike

I am back at this again, and think I am going to be going your route, Happy Feet. I appreciate the responses, and the pictures.
Old 04-01-22, 09:51 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Another option are the Revelate Designs bags that were already mentioned.. they come in three sizes to fit many/most frames. I have the Tangle 1/2 frame bag. They also sell the Ripio full frame bag.

Originally Posted by CaptMike
I am back at this again, and think I am going to be going your route, Happy Feet. I appreciate the responses, and the pictures.
Old 04-04-22, 12:42 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
As this seems to be resolved, I’ll go a bit off-topic and ask if people have had to adjust their riding style to accomodate a frame bag? Do your knees/thighs not bump or chafe on the bag?
Old 04-04-22, 07:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
As this seems to be resolved, I’ll go a bit off-topic and ask if people have had to adjust their riding style to accomodate a frame bag? Do your knees/thighs not bump or chafe on the bag?
Mine have not, but I have never bumped on a water bottle either. My frame bag is about the same thickness at the widest point as a water bottle.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 04-06-22, 06:49 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
If I’m riding with baggy pants there’s an occasional brushing on the right side of the Revelate medium Tangle bag. With shorts no problem. It’s been the best accessory bag I’ve ever put on a bike. For around town I fit a 4’ chain in it, easy to get in and out.
Likes For LeeG: