Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 07:07 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A bike is 40 inches long? You riding a strider?

1 up vs 2 up with two riders whether 40 or 100 inches wheelbase is trivial for a vehicle passing at 1000 inches per second. Get it?
Old 05-07-22, 07:09 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
1 up vs 2 up with two riders whether 40 or 100 inches wheelbase is trivial for a vehicle passing at 1000 inches per second. Get it?
We get it - neither math nor logic are strong points.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-07-22, 07:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
that’s a national championship jersey on the left is it not?
It is not.
Old 05-07-22, 07:26 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
It is just so very damned sad thinking of all the cyclists that I have ridden with who have died or been hit.

I take the lane plenty. But my first thought is not whether I am allowed by law but is there any chance I could be killed. Several times per year, I stop. Wait for traffic to clear. And walk across the street. I get yelled at. The funny part? I am usually exceeding the speed limit (on my recumbent) when taking the lane and the idiot cager usually almost crashes to yell at me. The other thought that I have taking a lane is the extent to which I will be inconvenienced vs further perturbing a demented cager. In short.....not an easy environment for us cyclists to ride on the roads.
Old 05-07-22, 07:39 PM
Koyote

It is just so very damned sad thinking of all the cyclists that I have ridden with who have died or been hit.

I take the lane plenty. But my first thought is not whether I am allowed by law but is there any chance I could be killed. Several times per year, I stop. Wait for traffic to clear. And walk across the street. I get yelled at. The funny part? I am usually exceeding the speed limit (on my recumbent) when taking the lane and the idiot cager usually almost crashes to yell at me. The other thought that I have taking a lane is the extent to which I will be inconvenienced vs further perturbing a demented cager. In short.....not an easy environment for us cyclists to ride on the roads.
Why do you keep calling motorists "cagers"?
Old 05-07-22, 07:44 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yeah, basketball is a popular sport, but not every driver plays basketball.
Old 05-07-22, 07:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Well I guess that's one way to convince yourself that you're right.

Seriously though, a windy descent sounds like a place where a car shouldn't try to overtake a cyclist in the first place. Maybe they were riding two abreast to try and discourage such dangerous driving. Like WhyFi, I'm open to hearing more details to see if maybe we're misunderstanding you, but feel free to block me too if you feel that's more productive than civil discourse.
. I have lead rides for years for Seattle’s largest cycling club where one rule at the beginning of each ride lecture is always ride single file if there are cars around. Why? So we don’t piss them off and/or get killed. Seems like very clear reasoning to me since there are plenty of aggressive drivers who don’t like cyclists. The curves in question that day had a 6’ shoulder, which I have ridden dozens of times either alone with the club. There was zero reason to take the lane to impede traffic since the shoulder is plenty wide, nicely paved with no obstacles. IMO, they were being inconsiderate, needlessly endangering themselves and creating ill will for no good reason. Being considerate of all is good practice when practical and in this instance it was very practical. If there was zero to little shoulder we would be having a different conversation since there are decents where I do take the road because the guard rails are right against the lane with no shoulder. My safety takes precedence there but I can also travel as fast as the cars at 40 MPH. Hope this clarifies things.

Last edited by rsbob; 05-16-22 at 08:56 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-07-22, 08:11 PM
WhyFi

Are you under the impression that we're advocating taking the lane out of pure spite or entitlement? No, we're not.

We know it's not easy and most of us are just looking to make things safer for ourselves. We know that there are times when taking the lane is safer, even it if rubs someone the wrong way because they don't understand our need, logic, or intent. I think that I'm judiciously assertive. You think I'm an ******* that inflames relations. You think your caution is warranted. I think that to regularly demure sends and reinforces the wrong message - that we're second-class users of the infrastructure.

Frankly, I think that we just need to act like we belong there, because we do. Be predictable. Respect when others have the right of way and don't shrink when you have the right of way. Be courteous when you can. Be assertive when it's warranted.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-07-22, 08:14 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by rsbob
I blocked WhyFi months ago, so no worries. I have lead rides for years for Seattle’s largest cycling club where one rule at the beginning of each ride lecture is always ride single file if there are cars around. Why? So we don’t piss them off. Seems like very clear reasoning to me since there are plenty of aggressive drivers who don’t like cyclists. The curves in question that day had a 6’ shoulder, which I have ridden dozens of times either alone with the club. There was zero reason to take the lane to impede traffic since the shoulder is plenty wide, nicely paved with no obstacles. IMO, they were being inconsiderate, needlessly endangering themselves and creating ill will for no good reason. Being considerate of all is good practice when practical and in this instance it was very practical. If there was zero to little shoulder we would be having a different conversation since there are decents where I do take the road because the guard rails are right against the lane with no shoulder. My safety takes precedence there but I can also travel as fast as the cars at 40 MPH. Hope this clarifies things.
Let's see the road.
Old 05-07-22, 08:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Well, it’s apparent my initial post struck a nerve. Only you know whether or not the shoe fits.

Everyone posting in this thread (other than OP) is ignorant of the facts of the event as it occurred, you included. It’s entirely possible the whole story was fabricated. Offering opinion without knowledge of the facts is the very definition of speculation.

No your initial post and this one are so far off the mark as to be hilarious. So you're now saying we shouldn't be commenting because OP might be lying? Enjoy your clown shoes, that's literally the stupidest thing I've heard all week.
Old 05-07-22, 09:10 PM
Airfehr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You are safe in your enclosure, car, cage. You also miss experiencing the world around you. I know the term from the motorcycle world.
Likes For Airfehr:
Old 05-07-22, 09:19 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
No your initial post and this one are so far off the mark as to be hilarious. So you're now saying we shouldn't be commenting because OP might be lying? Enjoy your clown shoes, that's literally the stupidest thing I've heard all week.
What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to come at me? I never addressed you. I never mentioned you or your posts yet YOU felt compelled to quote “once again, the usual BF Opinion Police are in full force.” Triggered much?

Let’s look at the facts here -
OP posts about an exchange he had with a cyclist. None of us know the facts as they relate to the incident. We are all ignorant of the facts, and yet…
YOU posted “your concern wasn’t safety.”
YOU posted “you were mad because he slowed you down.”
YOU posted “you made up an excuse to tell him off.”
YOU don’t know whether the cyclist was in the lane legally or was required to “ride in the side lane.”
YOU claim “drivers yelling out of car windows is one of the major reasons cyclists hate drivers.”

Your statements are ignorant of the facts, and entirely speculative. Plain and simple. Please quote where I stated “we shouldn’t be commenting because OP might be lying.”
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 05-07-22, 09:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to come at me? I never addressed you. I never mentioned you or your posts yet YOU felt compelled to quote “once again, the usual BF Opinion Police are in full force.” Triggered much?

OP posts about an exchange he had with a cyclist. None of us know the facts as they relate to the incident. We are all ignorant of the facts, and yet…
YOU don’t know whether the cyclist was in the lane legally or was required to “ride in the side lane.”
YOU claim “drivers yelling out of car windows is one of the major reasons cyclists hate drivers.”

Your statements are ignorant of the facts, and entirely speculative. Plain and simple. Please quote where I stated “we shouldn’t be commenting because OP might be lying.”
Maybe you understand why I blocked him. Tired of reading that stuff.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-07-22, 09:34 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

He’s been doing similar to me. Replying to and quoting me when I’ve been talking to someone else. He didn’t seem to be comprehending well so I didn’t engage.
Old 05-07-22, 11:18 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
If he didn't want other people to express their opinions on the facts as he stated them, then he shouldn't have posted. And to call commenting on them "ignorant speculation" just demonstrates that you are ignorant of the meaning of the words "ignorant" and "speculation".
When and where did that happen?
Old 05-07-22, 11:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by MarcusT
When and where did that happen?

You stated your "facts" in your first post.
Old 05-08-22, 12:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Please quote where I stated “we shouldn’t be commenting because OP might be lying.”
It’s entirely possible the whole story was fabricated. Offering opinion without knowledge of the facts is the very definition of speculation.

There. I defy you to come up with any other plausible interpretation of " the whole story was fabricated."

Yes, I drew reasonable inferences from what op actually posted. No, they are not "ignorant speculation".
You chose to put out an insult of posters on this thread and want to pretend that just because you didn't put names on it, it's unreasonable to react. As far as being triggered, I guess "come after you" means quoting your own generalized insult and showing why it doesn't hold water. Why does that trigger you so much that you end up denying saying things you obviously said?

Hey, don't want an argument? Maybe don't insult people whether or not you identify them by name. It's enough identification that they are people posting on this thread that you either meant to troll a response or you're completely clueless about what happens when you insult people. Your choice.

By his own account, the OP was able to safely pass the cyclist after 1km. OP was very clear what he was claiming was the "safety" concern, and it's not just speculation on my part that the particular concern is transparently implausible. You want to disagree with that opinion, fine.

Also by his own account, OP was "yelling" at the cyclist while passing him. It's my informed opinion as a driver that that is never a safe practice, and I really don't care what the context is. People shouldn't do that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-08-22, 03:55 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Airfehr
Taking a bike lock to a car fight sounds like a good way to get run over. Or shot.

Fun thread where the OP calls out a cyclist for being an ass and the major response is the OP was in a cage and therefor impatient and rude.

Here is an example of a group of cyclists exercising their right to use up a 50 mph roadway. I bike here frequently. I'd say they have an elitist attitude by having no consideration for those they share the road with. I would give them a honk. The same way I would ring my bell to a group of pedestrians blocking the MUP. Most cases people have no situational awareness.

"every time i hit your crystal city
you know you're gonna make a wreck out of me."
Old 05-08-22, 05:05 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Given the massive imbalance between the numbers of drivers and the numbers of cyclists, I don't think there's any way that could possibly be true. I agree that the large majority of drivers are pretty good, but encountering scary bad ones is not an unusual occurrence in my neck of the woods. I was almost hit by one this morning.
I can't comment on theory or statistical probability. But, my experience in 40 years of cycling is what I said. To add a bit more context, I lived for 25 yrs in a semi-rural area that has a university that I lived near. The last 15 yrs I've lived two towns away in CTs most agrarian town. We have one blinking traffic light at the Town Hall. And, many of the idiot cyclists I see are in my club. Lots of middle aged, ex-runners who are strong but have no idea about cycling.
Old 05-08-22, 05:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by bruce19
I can't comment on theory or statistical probability. But, my experience in 40 years of cycling is what I said. To add a bit more context, I lived for 25 yrs in a semi-rural area that has a university that I lived near. The last 15 yrs I've lived two towns away in CTs most agrarian town. We have one blinking traffic light at the Town Hall. And, many of the idiot cyclists I see are in my club. Lots of middle aged, ex-runners who are strong but have no idea about cycling.

Fair enough. College towns are different.
Old 05-08-22, 05:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Most cases people have no situational awareness.
I agree 100%. I drive, ride and walk in highly populated areas. I constantly have to take action to avoid people who are moving around without any clue as to how their actions are affecting others around them. It’s as if they are the only ones around.
Old 05-08-22, 05:39 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Italian driver and cyclist both yelling and gesticulating with both hands.

What could go wrong.

(wife and family are Italian and hands/arms flail when excited)
this statement violates so many PC guidelines, there has to be many convulsing on the floor or curled up shaking in the corner
Old 05-08-22, 09:07 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my grandparents often exclaimed "oofa!" but this comes close
https://youtu.be/7oXtISrMwVc
"Oofa"....haven't heard that in a long time. My grandparents Teresina and Carmine said it a lot. As did my mom, Domenica.
Old 05-08-22, 09:10 AM
bruce19

You are safe in your enclosure, car, cage. You also miss experiencing the world around you. I know the term from the motorcycle world.
Truth. MSF Instructor and Ducatista here.
Old 05-08-22, 09:11 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I agree 100%. I drive, ride and walk in highly populated areas. I constantly have to take action to avoid people who are moving around without any clue as to how their actions are affecting others around them. It’s as if they are the only ones around.
Walking around a college campus is pretty interesting. If I didn't dodge them, I'd routinely be crashed into by young people who are deeply engrossed in their cell phones.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.