Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Commuting

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Commuting

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 06:16 PM
MasiMoe

Bikes: '72 Bottecchia Giro, '74 Masi Gran Criterium, '06 Masi Gran Corsa, '15 Giant FastRoad SLR, Bianchi Veloce (Totaled), Ranger Zebra, Felt 80 (Dump find-$8.00 fix)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts
Probably heading over to Central Park for one of them early spring training races.
Old 06-01-22, 06:22 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
it's not exactly an example of commuting, but perhaps more like utility riding...
I've been scanning some of my dad's old photos & slides, and some are from the mid 50's when he was serving in the Army in Germany. It looks pretty interesting, overall, and sure beats fighting the North Koreans at that time.
In any case, it's been fun poking around and looking at the various details in the photo.

Steve in Peoria
My dad signed up voluntarily in 53 with a deal that let you move up your number and get a 2 year stint. He just missed Korea and went to a field hospital unit that spent his whole stint in Honolulu. Some life, huh? Finished his high school diploma, stole pineapples, got written up for passing out drunk on the beach and getting a bad sunburn. I wish we had photos of him like this. His big brother was on an aircraft carrier in no worse danger, watching the propeller planes get replaced with jets.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-01-22, 06:40 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My dad signed up voluntarily in 53 with a deal that let you move up your number and get a 2 year stint. He just missed Korea and went to a field hospital unit that spent his whole stint in Honolulu. Some life, huh? Finished his high school diploma, stole pineapples, got written up for passing out drunk on the beach and getting a bad sunburn. I wish we had photos of him like this. His big brother was on an aircraft carrier in no worse danger, watching the propeller planes get replaced with jets.
I wonder if my dad volunteered like that? I've never heard. Knowing the history of the Marines at "Frozen Chosin", I'm certain that Germany or Honolulu or even a carrier would have been preferable to being in the infantry in the Korean conflict.

My own time in the Marines was during the peaceful time after SE Asia (i.e. Vietnam), so I'm grateful for the lack of trauma, injuries, or PTSD. I did ride my Raleigh Gran Sport from the barracks to the hangar (which was about a half mile), so I guess it counts as vintage commuting??

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-01-22, 07:32 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Nice pic, he's got the calm demeanour. He's in the right spot anticipating the light, he'll get the jump and be steady at pace by the time, or if they catch him.
Also love the C&V film quality.

Now I'm thinking of Ed Harris in Kodachrome.

Last edited by clubman; 06-01-22 at 08:08 PM.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-02-22, 01:16 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
I wonder if my dad volunteered like that? I've never heard. Knowing the history of the Marines at "Frozen Chosin", I'm certain that Germany or Honolulu or even a carrier would have been preferable to being in the infantry in the Korean conflict.

My own time in the Marines was during the peaceful time after SE Asia (i.e. Vietnam), so I'm grateful for the lack of trauma, injuries, or PTSD. I did ride my Raleigh Gran Sport from the barracks to the hangar (which was about a half mile), so I guess it counts as vintage commuting??

Steve in Peoria
where were you stationed?
Old 06-02-22, 02:05 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by branko_76
where were you stationed?
Mostly at MCAS Yuma, in Yuma, Arizona.
This is at the southwest corner of Arizona, close to the borders of Mexico and California, and sitting on the Colorado river. Lots of sun and sand, which means good weather for flying and lots of space that isn't suitable for anything other than flying aircraft over it or dropping bombs on it (not entirely true, but...). Yuma Proving Grounds was nearby, where the Army did a lot of weapons development and testing.

There was some irrigation from the Colorado river, so there was a lot of citrus grown locally too, which was nice.

It did make me appreciate the pleasure of riding at night, when it wasn't 120 degrees F.

Steve in Peoria (where the day's high temp is only 77F)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-02-22, 02:23 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Mostly at MCAS Yuma, in Yuma, Arizona.
This is at the southwest corner of Arizona, close to the borders of Mexico and California, and sitting on the Colorado river. Lots of sun and sand............

Steve in Peoria (where the day's high temp is only 77F)
I was stationed at Camp Pendleton for a few months of training, lots of sun and sand there as well
Old 06-02-22, 03:13 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by branko_76
I was stationed at Camp Pendleton for a few months of training, lots of sun and sand there as well
As a "Hollywood" Marine, I spent a few weeks at Pendleton during boot camp. Neat place, and having traveled on I-5 from San Diego to L.A. in the years afterwards, it's a welcome break from the cities. I can't imagine what that land would be worth if the real estate developers ever got their hands on it!

Steve in Peoria (not exactly sunny southern California, but at least we have water)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-02-22, 05:13 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Clearly, he is en route to work at the haberdasher.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 06-06-22, 08:10 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
I wanna know how he keeps that hat from flying off.....
Old 06-06-22, 09:07 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
I wanna know how he keeps that hat from flying off.....
I wear a trilby and if it fits well flying off is no issue.