Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Gorilla glue for inner tube punctures?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-22-22, 12:38 PM
BrenZan

Bikes: Trek DS2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

complete noob to bike repair here...I've been looking online regarding glues for inner tube punctures (with patches) - I've only got Gorilla Glue at home currently, and it seems the concensus is to get rubber cement. I'm still curious as to just how effective Gorilla Glue would be.

also, how true is the stuff bike shops say about patching inner tubes being a short-term?
Old 06-22-22, 12:53 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Get a REMA repair kit.
Don't screw around with less.
https://www.rematiptop.com/products/...pair-kits.html
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 06-22-22, 01:02 PM
Tawraste666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
No, get good stuff.
A friend of mine used a poundshop puncture repair kit and had the glue melt right off the tube due to the heat generated from braking on a fast and long descent.
Personally, I prefer a brand new tube every time.
Likes For Tawraste666:
Old 06-22-22, 01:03 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
+1 on Rema Tip top kits. The patch, if done correctly, will last decades. I also like that the patch is thin and tapered at the edges but the most important thing is that it works. Bike shops always provide a new tube. This is just how they work. They get money for the tube and the labor.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 06-22-22, 01:12 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Rema, as prev stated. When there is a tried and true product, why would you use something else? If no LBS nearby, a local auto store probably has them. I've never considered a well done patch job as temporary.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-22-22, 01:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Another Rema fan. Good thing is there are plenty of other kits that use the same glue and patch system that work but Remas are consistently the best so I I have a choice I always go there. (Good patch kits use vulcanizing glue, not a cement. Fundamentally different system.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-22-22, 01:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
+1 on Rema patch kits. Skip the Gorilla Glue and rubber cement, go straight to the best.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-22-22, 01:42 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You do not want glue, you want "vulcanizing fluid" which, when correctly used, causes a chemical bond between the tube and the patch. Sulfur something something, one of the organic chemists in the group might chime in.
Ther previously-mentioned REMA kits have the right stuff.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 06-22-22, 03:21 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I have had patched tubes that lasted thousands of miles. Rema, IME, is the best. Also, I sometimes use glue less patches, again IME, they work well and I have had some last long term, some not. With all tube patching, it has to be done properly to work properly.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-22-22, 04:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by BrenZan
complete noob to bike repair here...I've been looking online regarding how effective Gorilla Glue would be.
Very poor, don't use it. Go to a bike shop or REI (heck, maybe even Walmart sells them) and simply buy a patch kit. Rema and Park make nice compact ones. I personally buy bulk patches and large tubes of glue, but keep the little compact kits in the saddle bag of all my bikes, either Rema or Park.

also, how true is the stuff bike shops say about patching inner tubes being a short-term?
False. A properly applied patch (which is simple to do) will last as long as the rest of the tube. I've never heard any knowledgeable person say such a thing. Was it the same person who suggested Gorilla Glue?

Last edited by Camilo; 06-22-22 at 04:26 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-22-22, 10:46 PM
BrenZan

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks all, will order some REMA as suggested!

also, I've heard of some anecdotes regarding a patched tube losing integrity over time when left unused - I'm assuming this also holds no water?
​​​​
Originally Posted by Camilo
False. A properly applied patch (which is simple to do) will last as long as the rest of the tube. I've never heard any knowledgeable person say such a thing. Was it the same person who suggested Gorilla Glue?
I was just thinking of Gorilla Glue since I was a little desperate for a fix at the time and that was the only thing I had lying around - it's good to hear the patch will last long-term, though
Likes For BrenZan:
Old 06-22-22, 11:13 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
I've only got Gorilla Glue at home currently, and it seems the concensus is to get rubber cement. I'm still curious as to just how effective Gorilla Glue would be.
Neither rubber cement nor Gorilla Glue are very good fluids for patching butyl tubes. You want a fluid that will react properly with the patch: the safest bet that's widely-available and convenient is to go with a Rema patch kit.

If you're using TPU tubes, you'll probably need a special patch kit.

Latex tubes are very easy. Patches for butyl tubes work very well with latex. Or, you can use a piece cut from an old latex tube as a patch, just apply the vulcanizing fluid to both the tube and the patch.

Not true.
Old 06-22-22, 11:25 PM
jsdavis

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I rotated through 3 tubes for my commuter bike over 12 years. Each of them have about a dozen patches. The only thing that eventually killed one was the valve broke.
Old 06-23-22, 11:32 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
++++1 on Rema kits. Take your time, use the sand paper well, put the glue on AND LET IT DRY put patch on....ride

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-24-22, 10:19 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
A properly patched tube (with a separate patch and glue/vulcanizing fluid like Rema Tiptop) is not a temporary repair. The only time I have had a flat at a properly applied patch was when I was not able to find and remove the object stuck in the tire that caused the initial flat, and it eventually poked a hole through the patch.

The one-step peel-and-stick 'glueless' patches, in my experience, are a temporary fix at best, although others have had better luck than I.

There are a few kludges that can replicate the less-than-100%-reliable glueless patches (Gorilla tape, and the stretchy plastic tape we call 'hockey tape' might work), but nothing that works nearly as well as Rema vulcanizing fluid and the patches made to bond to it.
Old 06-25-22, 01:54 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 132 Posts
If you have been around long enough you know once you open the little Rema Tip Top glue tube it will be dry the next time you use it. So my SOP is to carry a couple of inner tubes and just replace as needed.
Walmart sells an 8 oz can of SLIME brand Rubber Cement "for use with patches and plugs" that I have used. NAPA Auto Parts also sells some kind of vulcanizing fluid that I have used.
So when I'm home and at my leisure I patch my tubes with the Tip Top patches (the best IMO) and save opening the Tip Top glue (vulcanizing fluid) until I have an emergency on the road.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 06-25-22, 02:48 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
If you have been around long enough you know once you open the little Rema Tip Top glue tube it will be dry the next time you use it. So my SOP is to carry a couple of inner tubes and just replace as needed.
Walmart sells an 8 oz can of SLIME brand Rubber Cement "for use with patches and plugs" that I have used. NAPA Auto Parts also sells some kind of vulcanizing fluid that I have used.
So when I'm home and at my leisure I patch my tubes with the Tip Top patches (the best IMO) and save opening the Tip Top glue (vulcanizing fluid) until I have an emergency on the road.
The trick with the Rema glue tube is to squeeze the tube gently until the glue reaches the top of the nozzle and then thead the top back on. With no air in the tube or nozzle, the glue will stay properly viscous more or less indefinitely.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-25-22, 07:27 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The trick with the Rema glue tube is to squeeze the tube gently until the glue reaches the top of the nozzle and then thead the top back on. With no air in the tube or nozzle, the glue will stay properly viscous more or less indefinitely.
+1. Since doing this years ago, I've gone through a few tubes of fluid and not had any dry up yet. Just finished off a tube that was opened 3 years ago and was able to use every last drop of it.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that, I believe it was cyccommute, pointed out some time ago that it's not the air that gets in but the solvent that evaporates through a poor seal at the cap so basically using the same solution is to keep an airtight seal and a little fluid at the cap helps to do this.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 06-28-22 at 08:37 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-25-22, 05:30 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Here's an oldie but a goodie classic take on the question

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...er-cement.html
Old 06-25-22, 11:10 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
I've done the Gorilla Glue thing as an experiment (to fortify a peeling edge of a regular patch job) and while it seems to hold up it should not be the primary recommendation. It takes forever to cure properly and when it does it expands and hardens. Best to go with the popular opinion already mentioned in this thread.
Old 06-28-22, 12:27 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
I have large tubes at home, and little ones in the saddle bag. I buy the little ones in multiples from eBay sellers and consider them one time use - although they often surprise me and don't harden up between uses.
Old 08-05-22, 09:10 PM
BrenZan

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Got the Rema patches and applied them - 1 week in and they're holding well! Thanks all
Old 08-06-22, 10:20 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
complete noob to bike repair here...I've been looking online regarding glues for inner tube punctures (with patches) - I've only got Gorilla Glue at home currently, and it seems the concensus is to get rubber cement. I'm still curious as to just how effective Gorilla Glue would be.

The tube needs to sanded or use acetone to clean off the mold release then coat the tube with cement, let it dry and put on the patch and rub it in with a hard object. Properly patched tubes last the life of the tube. I have friends who have ridden on tubes with 5 or s 6 patches with no problems.
Old 08-07-22, 03:10 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 195 Posts
Gorilla glue won't hold up because it won't stretch as the tube expands with air. You would be better off for about 12 hours using the black Gorilla tape!

Rema is the best in the USA, as others have stated. I've used Rema for years till I switched to glueless patches about 30 years ago and was using nothing but Park glueless patches, the other brands of glueless patches sucked, the Parks would last till the tube dry rotted! But then about 3 years ago I started having problems with the Glueless patches holding up, they would only last maybe 48 hours. I thought I got a bad box, so I tried another box, same thing, I then e-mailed Park and asked them what was up, they said the tube manufacturers changed the composition of the tubes which in turn made glueless patches a fail. That was sad, because I loved glueless patches.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 08-08-22, 11:30 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
rekmeyata Never tried it on a tube, but I was told that Gorilla tape can be used as a rim tape for tubes AND tubeless setups on fat bikes. It works on my fat bike with tubes, haven't tried tubeless yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.