Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lateral play in quill stem

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-26-22, 12:33 PM
Nosnibor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Play in cinelli 1R quill stem. The 1" steerer measures 22.2mm ID as expected but the stem OD is 21.8mm which results in quite a bit of noticeable play when riding! Measured using digital calipers.

I'm confused as the cinelli stem is pretty common, surely they would have a better fit in a standard steerer?

Due to being a newbie, I can't post pictures yet unfortunately
Old 06-26-22, 12:57 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Check the top headset nut ID - it should be a snug fit on the stem.
Old 06-26-22, 01:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
IIRC at one time Cinelli made both Eng/Rtl diameter and French diameter stems. A French one would measure out as about 21.8 to 21.9mm. Andy
Old 06-26-22, 02:21 PM
Nosnibor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
IIRC at one time Cinelli made both Eng/Rtl diameter and French diameter stems. A French one would measure out as about 21.8 to 21.9mm. Andy
I've just done some research into this and yes the French (22mm) stems had a little dimple on the quill to denote the French fit. Mine has this so problem solved. Thanks!

Last edited by Nosnibor; 06-26-22 at 02:54 PM.
Likes For Nosnibor:
Old 06-26-22, 03:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Not by any instruction I know of. The nut needs a tad of clearance on the stem. Slightly more then the steerer has.

I just measured 4 Eng top nuts at between 22.31 to 22.55mm and the 3 steerers I have on hand at between 21.98 to 21.13mm.

One aspect of the Cinelli type cone expander stem design is that the stem is held by a very small amount of the quill, the very bottom where it is expanded out. The angled wedge typs (that most Asian stems use) provides far more contact and much higher up the quill too. Andy
Old 06-26-22, 03:34 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Not by any instruction I know of. The nut needs a tad of clearance on the stem. Slightly more then the steerer has.

I just measured 4 Eng top nuts at between 22.31 to 22.55mm and the 3 steerers I have on hand at between 21.98 to 21.13mm.

One aspect of the Cinelli type cone expander stem design is that the stem is held by a very small amount of the quill, the very bottom where it is expanded out. The angled wedge typs (that most Asian stems use) provides far more contact and much higher up the quill too. Andy
I had a similar problem once - with the bolt tightened the handlebar/stem could move a bit sideways and creaked. Found that the top nut had some play on the stem, replaced it with one that slided on the stem by hand but with almost no play, problem solved. I don't understand why the nut ID should be bigger than the steerer's.
BTW, your steerers measured way smaller than the nominal 22.2?
Old 06-26-22, 03:49 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I had a similar problem once - with the bolt tightened the handlebar/stem could move a bit sideways and creaked. Found that the top nut had some play on the stem, replaced it with one that slided on the stem by hand but with almost no play, problem solved. I don't understand why the nut ID should be bigger than the steerer's.
BTW, your steerers measured way smaller than the nominal 22.2?
It is small, but there is always some runout error between the threads and clearance diameter on the stem and on the nut. That alone doesn’t mandate which is larger, but it does imply that one side of the joint should have additional clearance to account for that.
Old 06-27-22, 03:25 AM
Nosnibor

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

my top nut has a plastic spacer to fill the gap between the stem and nut ID. The nut isn't designed to take the load of the stem.
Old 06-27-22, 05:11 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I'd say that's a water intrusion seal more than anything else. ^^^^^^