Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Belt drive, disc brakes, drop bars -- does it exist?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Belt drive, disc brakes, drop bars -- does it exist?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-13, 09:25 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I wouldn't mind a bike like that either except that I'd add to the requirements that the frame not be steel. Before we get into the steel vs aluminum vs CF debate, I'll just add that this requirement is due to the excessive amounts of salt my city uses on the streets in the winter. And that's the same reason I'd like a belt drive vs a chain, though if the belt drive proved to also be quieter that would be a bonus too.

Rusty chains has been a constant problem for me since I've started riding year round. Switching to an IGH a couple of years ago seems to have a helped a bit but that might be just because we've not had as much snow.

If brifters aren't an absolute requirement, I've been happy with the jTek bar end shifter but then I think you're stuck with Alfine for your IGH choices.
Old 11-29-13, 10:08 AM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel

If brifters aren't an absolute requirement, I've been happy with the jTek bar end shifter but then I think you're stuck with Alfine for your IGH choices.
The versa brifters work fine, too.
Old 11-29-13, 10:41 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Ignoring why I took issue with your statement and confounding the discussion with more silly statements like "Most flat bars have some rise too, unless you use them backwards..." makes it clear your mind has gone 'missing in action' here. Perhaps you're still in a Thanksgiving food coma?
Had to put it in there, you didn't explain why you were confused.
I say "most" to avoid conflict, the riser bars I've seen have rise.
What you consider to be a riser bar, may not.

Didn't really know what else I had to explain.
I'll ask what confuses you that isn't already explained?
(Since you seem like the type to have the last word)

My Thanksgiving was a month ago, you might be the one in the coma, cause I couldn't be more straight forward.

A lil common sense goes a long way!
You like to throw sarcastic jabs, 2 can play...

I'm happy I could give you attention on your lonely Thanksgiving.
Did you enjoy that Hungry Man entree last night?

You're welcome.
Old 11-29-13, 11:10 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
I say "most" to avoid conflict, the riser bars I've seen have rise.
What you consider to be a riser bar, may not.
So, your assertion is that riser bars have rise, and most flat bars do too, unless one uses them backwards?

Yeah...I'm done talking to you about such nonsense.
Old 11-29-13, 11:56 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I wouldn't mind a bike like that either except that I'd add to the requirements that the frame not be steel. Before we get into the steel vs aluminum vs CF debate, I'll just add that this requirement is due to the excessive amounts of salt my city uses on the streets in the winter. And that's the same reason I'd like a belt drive vs a chain, though if the belt drive proved to also be quieter that would be a bonus too.

Rusty chains has been a constant problem for me since I've started riding year round. Switching to an IGH a couple of years ago seems to have a helped a bit but that might be just because we've not had as much snow.

I have to agree that it's awful tempting, just on the concept alone if nothing else. I don't know much about the IGH and their shifters, but I suspect I'd be cool with thumb shifters even, whatever can shift the things with the least fuss and complexity.

I realize that for each piece of this we're probably giving up some small bit of drive train efficiency compared to a well-maintained road bike, but that's going to be way down the list of priorities for this kind of commuting bike.
Old 11-29-13, 12:15 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, your assertion is that riser bars have rise, and most flat bars do too, unless one uses them backwards?

Yeah...I'm done talking to you about such nonsense.
Again your only defence...
Shows your lack of humor, I've seen people using road bars,flat bars, risers upside down, you name it.
Even seen people wearing helmets backwards...
Is it practical for me, nope. But who am I to say its wrong for them? It works for them, why should I care?

You always talk big, but fail to understand the simplicity of handlebars.

Flat bar:

Notice they're not flat?

Risers:

Please get your thoughts in, I'd hate for you not to have the last word.
Old 11-29-13, 12:42 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Please get your thoughts in, I'd hate for you not to have the last word.
I guess when the OP saw the price of his dream bike, he fainted and went back to his regular commuter!
Old 11-29-13, 01:04 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12739 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Most flat bars have some rise too, unless you use them backwards which would put your posture @ a slight drop.
Nope. Flat bars have sweep. You can rotate them slightly forward to turn that sweep into rise if you'd like. If you rotate them 180° then they'll have negative sweep but no rise.

You can set up risers to have flat grip sections or slightly rising grip sections if you prefer also.

True flats/fixie style bars are straight/flat & short.
I wouldn't recommend these on anything other than fixie.
BITD there were Shotgun Bars, for the MTB market. Flat bars with no sweep at all. Always wanted a pair of those but was just a poor teenager.
Old 11-29-13, 01:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You can use cheap steel Northroad (ala old 3 speed's), flipped for drop, too..
greater hand grip angle than MTB flats/ low-risers ..
Old 11-29-13, 01:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Nope. Flat bars have sweep. .
Even if you slam your stem, tilt your head sideways, stand on one leg, and say beetlejuice three times?

Seriously, though, thank you!
Old 11-29-13, 01:36 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nope. Flat bars have sweep. You can rotate them slightly forward to turn that sweep into rise if you'd like. If you rotate them 180° then they'll have negative sweep but no rise.

You can set up risers to have flat grip sections or slightly rising grip sections if you prefer also.

BITD there were Shotgun Bars, for the MTB market. Flat bars with no sweep at all. Always wanted a pair of those but was just a poor teenager.
You're correct!
I meant to say sweep, i was trying to show flat bars aren't flat, & i missed that.
The ends of flats bars rise up a bit/sweep.
I was going to explain rotating them too but didn't think it would help.

I remember the shotgun bars too!
Poor teen as well, we rode what we were given until it broke.
Old 11-29-13, 02:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

straight 7/8" steel tube + a shim in the center, out to 1.0"... cheap and easy..
Old 11-29-13, 02:39 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12739 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
straight 7/8" steel tube + a shim in the center, out to 1.0"... cheap and easy..
Even simpler for brakeless fixie bros. Same diameter all the way across will work. Those bars are often nicknamed (pickle herb + female deer) bars.
Old 11-29-13, 03:09 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Those bars are often nicknamed (pickle herb + female deer) bars.
Nice clue! I had to think about that for a second.
Old 11-29-13, 04:55 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's another, at a more affordable price point, though you will sacrifice full cable housing: https://civiacycles.com/bikes/kingfield/
That doesn't have discs. The Bryant did;they're not made anymore,but do pop up occasionally on eBay. Norco had an SS one a few years ago that could be upgraded to an IGH,but they're not sold around here. I think Spot sells just frames;one of those could be built up as a drop bar. Also a couple belt drive SS MTB's that could be modded.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 11-29-13, 06:42 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by dynaryder
That doesn't have discs. The Bryant did;they're not made anymore,but do pop up occasionally on eBay. Norco had an SS one a few years ago that could be upgraded to an IGH,but they're not sold around here. I think Spot sells just frames;one of those could be built up as a drop bar. Also a couple belt drive SS MTB's that could be modded.
Whoops! Yeah, you're right; I was thinking of the Bryant, too. I kinda wish I'd bought one of those when I had the chance. It was such a handsome bike.
Old 11-29-13, 06:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Yea QBP sold through the Batch & didn't contract TW to make More.
Old 11-29-13, 09:11 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But slamming the stem with flat bars tend to place more weight on you hands. The lack of hand positions makes this more of a challenge.
If availability of hand positions is the issue check out the jones h-bar https://www.jonesbikes.com/h-bar.html. I want one but maybe not the handbuffed $300 titanium version.

Drop bars limit choice in disc brakes, mostly to cable-operated systems (i.e. bb7). Hydraulic discs have many advantages. They are very easy to set up, don't freeze up from moisture in the housing and have a very nice touch. I've used both and absolutely prefer hydros. Bleeding has not been required and is not an issue. Apparently drop bars limit choice in IGH shifters also so I don't really get the net benefit over the h-bars.

Anyhow, it's your dream bike, OP. Send a picture.
Old 11-29-13, 09:47 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SRAM has a few new hydro disc setup setups on the market, as well as hydro rim brakes. Both are quite expensive too.
You can get hydro adaptors that the CX crowd has been using the last few years.
Old 11-29-13, 09:58 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

titanium nitride coated chains are virtually rust proof. and they also come in a very pretty gold.
Old 11-29-13, 10:13 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Re-read this...
If you're trying to get aero on flats, you shift you weight forward on the palms of your hands, more importantly your ulnar nerve.
This is what causes numbness in the hands.
I don't think its possible to get aero on flats IMO.

The OP asked for a bike with dropbars, you brought up flats.
He also asked for a CX/tourer/ road style/type bike.
Most of these frame styles are more aggressive than a MTB, or hybrid, but not as much as a road frame.
I used my experience as an example since I have ridden all these type frames.

Slight change in hand position can alter the way your weight is distributed through your hand.
Same goes for exercising. Slight change in position will work different muscle groups even though your doing the same exercise.
ie:
Leg press/squat: toes in, toes out

Riser/flat bars do tend to raise your posture, yes the angle, & reach of the stem will have an effect too.
On a riser bar, the bar ends "rise", hence the name.
Dropbars, "drop" the rider into an aero position.
Most flat bars have some rise too, unless you use them backwards which would put your posture @ a slight drop.

Risers also have your hands usually wider than shoulder length apart, this is to steer, have more control in tight/technical sections on a mountain. Just this alone changes the way you weight is transfer to your hand.
Think conventional pushup, pull up.

Dropbars are either shoulder length or narrower.
We lean into turns, no real need to steer very often.
Think narrow knuckle pushup, pull up.

True flats/fixie style bars are straight/flat & short.
I wouldn't recommend these on anything other than fixie.
1. time trial flat bar bicycles are quite "aero".
2. some individuals do not suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome and do experience numbness when using flat bars.
3. individuals who have core strength and the ability to bend their elbows can achieve a full tuck on a flat bar bike.
4. twitchy chopped flat bars are useful for any bike intended to ride the river of urban traffic. your mileage and skill may vary.
Old 11-29-13, 11:12 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
If availability of hand positions is the issue check out the jones h-bar https://www.jonesbikes.com/h-bar.html. I want one but maybe not the handbuffed $300 titanium version.

Drop bars limit choice in disc brakes, mostly to cable-operated systems (i.e. bb7). Hydraulic discs have many advantages. They are very easy to set up, don't freeze up from moisture in the housing and have a very nice touch. I've used both and absolutely prefer hydros. Bleeding has not been required and is not an issue. Apparently drop bars limit choice in IGH shifters also so I don't really get the net benefit over the h-bars.

Anyhow, it's your dream bike, OP. Send a picture.
Flat bars, and various swept back bars, of which the 'h-bar' is just one of dozens of styles, all have one thing in common. They require a hand position that has the knuckles more or less pointing up, which requires wrist rotation. Drop bars provide a hand position (or more than one) where the hands can have their palms facing each other, which doesn't require rotation. Drop bars also do a better job of providing different body positions than most alternatives.
Likes For dscheidt:
Old 11-29-13, 11:19 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
1. time trial flat bar bicycles are quite "aero".
2. some individuals do not suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome and do experience numbness when using flat bars.
3. individuals who have core strength and the ability to bend their elbows can achieve a full tuck on a flat bar bike.
4. twitchy chopped flat bars are useful for any bike intended to ride the river of urban traffic. your mileage and skill may vary.
Not sure I've ever seen a TT bike fitted with these:

Yes TT bikes have flat bars, but they not called/considered "flat bars" I believe they're referred to as aero bars/aero cockpits.
The bars mainly used in time trials are the ones in the center.
They come in many different curves/sweep/rise/even slight drop. Its basically custom to make the rider as comfortable as they can in the work position.

I have a set of carbon dropbars that are flat on the tops.
My fit on my road bikes place very little weight on my hands.
In fact I'm barely even holding on the the bar when I climb.
I like the flat top because it feels better when my hands rest on then during a climb, & I prefer the wider grip.
I also like to lean my elbows on the flats while getting aero on long stretches. (Some group ride prohibit the use of aerobars.)

The way you grip flatbars, & aerobars are not even close to being similar, & there's no comparison between flatbars, & aero bars/aero cockpits.
So I don't really get your point.
Old 11-29-13, 11:22 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
Flat bars, and various swept back bars, of which the 'h-bar' is just one of dozens of styles, all have one thing in common. They require a hand position that has the knuckles more or less pointing up, which requires wrist rotation. Drop bars provide a hand position (or more than one) where the hands can have their palms facing each other, which doesn't require rotation. Drop bars also do a better job of providing different body positions than most alternatives.
Thank you!

I was starting to think I was the only one who's actually used dropbars.
Old 11-30-13, 12:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Have drop-bar bikes.. but none have an IGH, only derailleur drivetrains.
the IGH bikes have Trekking bars, but for the Brompton, It has concessions to Folding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.