Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What got you into cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What got you into cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 12:44 PM
YellaFella

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7; Trek FX Sport 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by devianb
Basically I wanted to explore new places without spending a lot of money to get there.
I guess you never got real serious about cycling, then. I spend a LOT of money to get "there"...
Likes For YellaFella:
Old 01-26-21, 12:53 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It was the mad coaster brake skids when I was 6 years old.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 01-26-21, 06:27 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
running killing my knee's

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-28-21, 05:18 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
For me it was simple. Too many sprained ankles running. Tough to sprain an ankle while clipped in. dave
Old 01-28-21, 06:40 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I rode a lot as a kid. It was how we got around in the 70s. At least where I came up, parents didn't generally drive kids everywhere. And I loved riding. I had a gas pipe Raleigh ten speed, but it was a racing bike to me.

Then I got older, bought a motorcycle, and didn't ride a bike again for decades. The road I live in happens to be frequented by a lot of riders and did get a sort of wistful feeling watching them go by. But I never really thought of riding again until my wife said she wanted to get bikes to ride around the neighborhood. Bought a hybrid off CL and it was fine, but after a few weeks I bought a road bike and the old feeling immediately returned.
Old 02-02-21, 09:40 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
my bike was a life part beginning in the 1st grade as how i got to school and then 4th grade delivering groceries and from then on i have always ridden a bike either to school(s), job(s), or for work
Old 02-02-21, 02:28 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I can't believe I just read all of these stories. Loved every one of them.

As for me, I rode bikes all over the place as a kid and loved them. Cars came into play in HS, so I took a break. Enter college..... I borrowed a friends mountain bike (hadn't ever seen one before) and couldn't believe it had 21 gears. I went to college in Gunnison and that first ride up Signal peak was brutal, but the ride down was it. HOOKED!!. I bought my first mountain bike at the Tune Up bike shop in Gunnison in 86, a Trek 800. I pounded the crap out of that bike. Hartmans Rocks, Kill Hill (which we called hamburger hill back then). I rode with a group of guys that could really put the hammer down. Turns out one of them was a future Leadville 100 winner. I let you guess who that was. I've been riding and racing ever since.

I was recruited to be on a neo pro mountain racing team sponsored by Cannondale around 2008. I loved it, being sponsored and having kits, bikes and whatever else the team dished out. After a few years, it became too much. Riding wasn't fun anymore and I felt like I HAD to get on my bike. I think I dropped off of the team in 2012 and eventually quit riding. Enter 2020 and I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and was over weight. I got back on the bike and rediscovered how much I love being on a bicycle.
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 02-02-21, 03:07 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Here's one that may or may not have been mentioned yet: The bike is a good excuse to buy accessories for, upgrade and modify.

For a few years, I owned a Jeep Wrangler. The accessory aftermarket for Jeeps is enormous! Probably equals the GNP of many small nations... The bike industry is almost the same way. Here it is wintertime and there is a foot of new snow on the ground but I can keep busy with my bike ordering cool parts for it. If I throw enough money at it by buying CF parts, I'll have lost half a pound by the time I can ride it again. But it's fun.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 02-02-21, 05:47 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
My knees were too bad to continue running.
Old 02-02-21, 09:27 PM
feejer

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
... and is cheaper than motorcycling.
Uh, really not so sure about that part.
Old 02-03-21, 09:11 PM
jonkang

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Went to pick up a bookshelf on offerup and I ended up taking his bike as well!
Old 02-04-21, 06:43 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
All of the incessant and inane ‘what got you into cycling’ threads got me into cycling