Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Video: cyclist broadsided

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Video: cyclist broadsided

Old 08-01-22, 01:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
This message is hidden because work4bike is on your ignore list.
Old 08-01-22, 02:00 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Assistance and aid are synonyms. As I predicted, he draws the distinction without a difference after I called him on the obvious honking error he made.
...honking your horn in an intersection, because the guy ahead of you is driving too slowly, ought to be good for another six pages.
Old 08-01-22, 02:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
TIL-awarding someone financial aid implies the provision of medical assistance.

Who knew?
Old 08-01-22, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...thank you. How is that different from : " 'Assistance' or 'aid' can be as simple as dragging the guy out of the roadway so he doesn't get run over again." ? I'm genuinely curious. Is it because it uses different words ? Is that the problem ? Or are you simply in agreement ? It's difficult to tell with you.

Assistance could also be as simple as standing in the roadway, signaling cars not to run over the guy until the ambulance (which you have perhaps summoned yourself by dialing 911) arrives.

All this nitpicking over the meaning of clear synonyms is because a guy can't just admit he was wrong when he decided to correct another person who had gotten the statutory requirements correctly. The fact that it's NJ law makes it kind of delicious.
Old 08-01-22, 02:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

...honking your horn in an intersection, because the guy ahead of you is driving too slowly, ought to be good for another six pages.

I'm looking forward to the argument that "aiding and abetting" a crime implies providing the crime with medical care.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-01-22, 02:41 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
...thank you. How is that different from : " 'Assistance' or 'aid' can be as simple as dragging the guy out of the roadway so he doesn't get run over again." ? I'm genuinely curious. Is it because it uses different words ? Is that the problem ? Or are you simply in agreement ? It's difficult to tell with you.
You said I was on your ignore list. Do me a favor and keep me there so I don't have to see your silly replies. Your "simple" here is stupid.

I'm looking forward to the argument that "aiding and abetting" a crime implies providing the crime with medical care.
Did you also put me on your ignore list?

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-01-22 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-01-22, 03:00 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
This message is hidden because work4bike is on your ignore list.
Oh geez, I'm back on your ignore list...again...I wonder how long it will last this time
Old 08-01-22, 04:42 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You said I was on your ignore list. Do me a favor and keep me there so I don't have to see your silly replies. Your "simple" here is stupid.

Did you also put me on your ignore list?
I'd be honored if I could join you on these two characters' ignore list.

But these fellows seem to enjoy sniping, insulting, misquoting and just posting OT Fooish snark for their own amusement and "likes" from similar characters to take that action.
Old 08-01-22, 05:27 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

But these fellows seem to enjoy sniping, insulting, misquoting and just posting OT Fooish snark for their own amusement and "likes" from similar characters to take that action.
...being on my ignore list is not what you suppose. It's not a free pass. You will still say ridiculous things, and I'll see them quoted by someone else, and the next thing you know, I'll make another lowbrow joke with you as the punchline. Then we go through this whole business all over again. I will put you on my ignore list, but to be a real solution, you need to stop saying stuff that is patently ridiculous. That's the only way this works.

As you can see, that's the big problem with njkayaker . He's long been on ignore, but he keeps on pitching me these high, hanging softballs.
Old 08-01-22, 05:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Here you go:

This message is hidden because I-Like-To-Bike is on your ignore list.
Old 08-02-22, 05:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Maybe you and the guy you're responding to could form a troll union.

You do everything you put on that list constantly, with the addition of the generalized repetitive insult you post in thread after thread regarding "bf posters".

BTW, at this point, I'm pretty sure I'm just about the only one still reading your posts.

Seriously, you just made a bunch of posts shocked at the idea that drivers need to watch out for red light runners at intersections and turned that into a claim that everyone needs to slow their vehicle to a crawl at every intersection. Don't you dare scold people for " misquoting " when you constantly do crap like that.
Old 08-02-22, 05:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

...being on my ignore list is not what you suppose. It's not a free pass. You will still say ridiculous things, and I'll see them quoted by someone else, and the next thing you know, I'll make another lowbrow joke with you as the punchline. Then we go through this whole business all over again. I will put you on my ignore list, but to be a real solution, you need to stop saying stuff that is patently ridiculous. That's the only way this works.

As you can see, that's the big problem with njkayaker . He's long been on ignore, but he keeps on pitching me these high, hanging softballs.

Kayaker seems to think that being on my ignore list means I can't react when I see a quote where he's aiming yet another of his stupid petty nitpicks at one of my posts. I wouldn't care except they're always wrong and so smugly stated.
Old 08-02-22, 08:48 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Seriously, you just made a bunch of posts shocked at the idea that drivers need to watch out for red light runners at intersections and turned that into a claim that everyone needs to slow their vehicle to a crawl at every intersection. Don't you dare scold people for " misquoting " when you constantly do crap like that.
Seriously this just another of your negative reactions to your own misquoting and distortions of my posts. Nowhere did I say anything, let alone about being shocked, about an idea that drivers do not need to watch out for red light runners at intersections. I discussed the idea of expecting drivers to gratuitously slow down when passing through clear intersections with the right of way and a green light.

You have made it a habit of reactions to your own misquoting and distortions of my responses (as well as other targets of your sniping) to other people's posts and adding personal insults as well. You seem to be taking advantage of a seeming free pass to make such negative posts on BF to several other posters as well.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-02-22 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-02-22, 09:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Seriously this just another of your negative reactions to your own misquoting and distortions of my posts. Nowhere did I say anything, let alone about being shocked, about an idea that ANYBODY does not need to watch out for red light runners at intersections. You have made it a habit of reactions to your own misquoting and distortions of my responses (as well as other targets of your sniping) to other people's posts and adding personal insults as well. You seem to be taking advantage of a seeming free pass to make such negative posts on BF to several other posters as well.

You created a straw man argument out of an observation that ambulance drivers slow down at intersections (which they actually do). You then posted a ridiculously misfiring attempt at "humor" in post 63 which was clearly an insult of at least one poster on this thread. There's no way you could have reasonably interpreted Daniel4 to be suggesting that every driver had a duty to slow at every intersection lest they hit the cyclist ignoring the red light. He actually disclaimed that in the quote about ambulance drivers you kept yammering about. You do realize that emergency vehicles with the sirens on are generally operating at speeds much higher than general vehicular traffic right? So, they are slowing to a speed which is fairly comparable to the speed at which a non-emergency vehicle would pass through the intersection.

I stand by that post 63 in the context of your other posts on this thread did all of the things you're accusing me of, as is typical of your general uncivil hypocrisy.
Old 08-02-22, 09:07 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Kayaker seems to think that being on my ignore list means I can't react...
No, it means you are incontinent.
Old 08-02-22, 09:16 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,190 Posts
Just like the video, it's not about who's right, only who's more wrong.
Old 08-02-22, 09:19 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Maybe you and the guy you're responding to could form a troll union.
Old 08-02-22, 09:20 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by njkayaker
No, it means you are incontinent.
...so he lives in North America ?
Old 08-02-22, 09:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Seriously this just another of your negative reactions to your own misquoting and distortions of my posts. Nowhere did I say anything, let alone about being shocked, about an idea that drivers do not need to watch out for red light runners at intersections. I discussed the idea of expecting drivers to gratuitously slow down when passing through clear intersections with the right of way and a green light.

You have made it a habit of reactions to your own misquoting and distortions of my responses (as well as other targets of your sniping) to other people's posts and adding personal insults as well. You seem to be taking advantage of a seeming free pass to make such negative posts on BF to several other posters as well.
Oh, and just one more thing about post 63--go ahead and quote every single person you based this on:

"A few posters recommend or allege that safety (or continued employment) dictates that good drivers slow down or even crawl through intersections dead slow, and it doesn't matter if the driver has a clear right of way."

That's not about ambulance drivers, so please lets see who these "few posters" are. And "imply" is a meaningless cheat, show us where they actually "recommend or allege" which is clearly explicit, not implicit. If you can't quote someone explicitly doing as you said they did, you have no business complaining about manufactured quotes.

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-02-22 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-02-22, 10:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

so please lets see who these "few posters" are.
Daniel4 #12
3alarmer #34, #36; the rest of his posts are just OT Fooish snark, insults and goofy Fooish/P&R style "humor"
tungsten #38
esos1 #71

Make of these posts what you will. Paraphrase and reinterpret them to fit your nit picking satisfaction.
I'm out. Find me on another thread to snipe at.
Old 08-02-22, 11:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Daniel4 #12
3alarmer #34, #36; the rest of his posts are just OT Fooish snark, insults and goofy Fooish/P&R style "humor"
tungsten #38
esos1 #71

Make of these posts what you will. Paraphrase and reinterpret them to fit your nit picking satisfaction.
I'm out. Find me on another thread to snipe at.

You are such a bad liar--it's not nitpicking to point out that literally none of those posts match your strawman assertions. You're flat-out caught doing exactly what you accused me of, and it's hardly the first time.

#12 as discussed endlessly only makes the slow-down assertion as regards ambulance drivers, and specifically said that the driver in the video would have been let go had she not done the running bit, #34, 36, and 38 are strictly referring to the practices of emergency vehicle drivers which they were calling you out for for bs-ing about what you assumed falsely were the standards, and #71 just says that their husband actually does slow down at all intersections due to his understanding of defensive driving. Nowhere does Esos1 indicate "that safety (or continued employment) dictates that good drivers slow down or even crawl through intersections dead slow, and it doesn't matter if the driver has a clear right of way." You want to argue with the husband's driving habits, you go right ahead, but there's nothing in the post that indicates that Esos1 believes that behavior is mandated by "safety". Hell, it's pretty clear from the post that Esos1 doesn't drive that way.

You trolled and you ended up losing the argument when everyone noticed you were a) claiming you never saw something people in cities see pretty much every day and b) attributed a really stupid argument to a bunch of people who said nothing of the kind.

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-02-22 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 11:39 AM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Interesting news story on DeGise and the pressure put on her to resign. What's new here is that it shows the same video as before of her entering a police station to report the accident, but it turns out it was six hours after the accident

Still unanswered is if she was contacted by police or if she came in on her own.

Also, what's interesting, if you look at the accident, starting at the 15-second point of the video and play it at 1/4-speed it seems as if there is zero reaction when she hits the cyclist. Crazy

https://youtu.be/ySysdIDEtZU
The reporter here that interviewed the cyclist overlooked the most important question he should have asked: do you feel at all responsible for causing the accident.?

Last edited by Route 66; 08-02-22 at 02:12 PM.
Likes For Route 66:
Old 08-02-22, 01:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

You are such a bad liar--it's not nitpicking to point out that literally none of those posts match your strawman assertions. ...
... after some reflection and introspection, I have concluded that I am ill positioned to make judgements about strawman construction.

In a state with as much acreage devoted to corn as Iowa, Strawmen might very well be essential to the economy. Thus the construction of them might be desirable.

For all we know, I-Like-To-Bike might very well be a pillar of the community in Burlington. Thus it stands to reason he presumes that everyone ought to get out of his way, when driving. Look no further than the city councilwoman in this news story. It is entirely possible she had pressing public business that precluded her from stopping after the collision. I don't like to stand in judgement when not in possession of all the facts. Without enough strawmen, the corn harvest will fail. People will die.

Old 08-02-22, 01:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

....just for a point of information, the accident stats in the United States list intersection collisions as the second most common, at around 40% in any given year. They teach that in every professional driving course I've ever taken. I forget whether it is before or after the lesson on safe following distances, the people who ignore them, and the number of rear end "accidents" that happen every year. Which is a lot.
Every year, the Federal Highway Administration (FHA) reports approximately 2.5 million intersection accidents. Most of these crashes involve left turns.

Nationally, 40 percent of all crashes involve intersections, the second largest category of accidents, led only by rear-end collisions. Fifty percent of serious collisions happen in intersections and some 20 percent of fatal collisions occur there.

An estimated 165,000 accidents occur annually in intersections caused by red-light runners. Fatalities caused by red-light runners run from 700-800 a year.

https://www.autoaccident.com/statist...accidents.html
Though Elvis has now left the building, it's worth pointing out that every single driver involved in a collision with a "red light runner", had a clear green light and the legal right of way. Sadly, the dead ones are still dead. Take it as you will. Me, I slow a little on approach until I'm certain that the cross street is clear in both directions. Even though I don't drive a Buick.
Old 08-02-22, 02:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

....just for a point of information, the accident stats in the United States list intersection collisions as the second most common, at around 40% in any given year. They teach that in every professional driving course I've ever taken. I forget whether it is before or after the lesson on safe following distances, the people who ignore them, and the number of rear end "accidents" that happen every year. Which is a lot.

Though Elvis has now left the building, it's worth pointing out that every single driver involved in a collision with a "red light runner", had a clear green light and the legal right of way. Sadly, the dead ones are still dead. Take it as you will. Me, I slow a little on approach until I'm certain that the cross street is clear in both directions. Even though I don't drive a Buick.

As a driver, I generally try not to speed through intersections at a rate where I won't have time to react when someone chooses to run the red light. I've been in cars when a car running the red light has struck us. The lack of fault is not a lot of consolation. I definitely am a lot more cautious about approaching any intersection without clear sight lines, I see motor vehicles running lights and taking blind right turns on red quite frequently.

Again, no one on this thread claimed that the councilwoman actually caused the crash. Her decision to flee the scene was the only thing that was clearly wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.