Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it V-Brake or U-Brake

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is it V-Brake or U-Brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 04:06 PM
Allytech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it V-Brake or U-Brake

Is it V-Brake or U-Brake what do you think
Old 08-16-22, 04:08 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Given your previous posts about a BMX bike, I'm gong to guess U-brake. What do I win?
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-16-22, 04:19 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
"V" brakes were the replacement for canti's on canti studs that pulled 2x as much cable 1/2 as hard to avoid compression of coiled brake housing.

"U" brakes were the BMX equivalent but the studs were mounted further away from the wheel axle and were operated via a long "U" shaped center-pull style straddle cable.

Both are considered "long pull" so you will need matching brake levers or if have an option set the levers set to "long." Meaning the cable head attaches at the location further from the brake lever pivot.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 08-16-22, 04:28 PM
Rolla

U-brakes are often run underneath the seatstays, or sometimes under the chainstays behind the bottom bracket. V-brakes are always on the top of the seatstays.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-16-22, 04:49 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
"V" brakes were the replacement for canti's on canti studs that pulled 2x as much cable 1/2 as hard to avoid compression of coiled brake housing.

"U" brakes were the BMX equivalent but the studs were mounted further away from the wheel axle and were operated via a long "U" shaped center-pull style straddle cable.
For clarity, U-brakes debuted on MTB bikes— well before they appeared on BMX— as the high performance brake option of the ‘80s to replace weak and clearance-challenged cantilever brakes. The V-brake came after the U-brake as the high performance option, and effectively replaced U-brakes.

Also, the U-brake takes its name from the shape of the brake arms, not the straddle cable, and in fact, U-brakes needn’t even use a straddle cable, as some models can run the cable housing right to one of the arms directly..

The U-brake was, as I recall, Shimano’s high volume interpretation of Charlie Cunningham’s roller cam brake.
Old 08-16-22, 05:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Allytech
Is it V-Brake or U-Brake what do you think
Another senseless, detail free post.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-16-22, 05:44 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by chaadster
For clarity, U-brakes debuted on MTB bikes— well before they appeared on BMX— as the high performance brake option of the ‘80s to replace weak and clearance-challenged cantilever brakes. The V-brake came after the U-brake as the high performance option, and effectively replaced U-brakes.

Also, the U-brake takes its name from the shape of the brake arms, not the straddle cable, and in fact, U-brakes needn’t even use a straddle cable, as some models can run the cable housing right to one of the arms directly..

The U-brake was, as I recall, Shimano’s high volume interpretation of Charlie Cunningham’s roller cam brake.
Thanks for the clarification. Your way makes more sense.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 08-16-22, 06:12 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
mountain bike u brakes were short lived - a couple, two, three years in the late 80's. They filled with mud/debris due to location.

​​​​​​https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...1bb58&Enum=117
Old 08-16-22, 06:48 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
No photo, no opinion
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-16-22, 07:02 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
V-brakes are always on the top of the seatstays.
And usually in front of the fork... but not always!

Front brake behind the fork. IMO, this makes adjusting the brake shoes a bit more difficult.
Old 08-16-22, 07:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Also lets keep in mind that V-Brakes are a trademark from Shimano. Linear pull brakes would be the proper name for non-shimano brakes of that style.

However yes nonsense post for no reason.
Old 08-16-22, 07:32 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by dedhed
mountain bike u brakes were short lived - a couple, two, three years in the late 80's.
I had a 1992 Grove Innovations X-frame that had an under-chainstay U-brake. With a seatstay mounted brake, heel strike would have been an issue.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-16-22, 08:17 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by dedhed
mountain bike u brakes were short lived - a couple, two, three years in the late 80's. They filled with mud/debris due to location.

​​​​​​https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...1bb58&Enum=117
It wasn’t really the location that was the problem— you could find MTBs both with under-chainstay and typical seatstay mounted U-brakes— but rather due to the nature of the design, which restricted wheel clearance and caused mud to build up. They were also heavy because of the design.

The response was to develop low-profile cantis, designs which evolved into the V-brake.
Old 08-17-22, 05:58 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
It wasn’t really the location that was the problem— you could find MTBs both with under-chainstay and typical seatstay mounted U-brakes— but rather due to the nature of the design, which restricted wheel clearance and caused mud to build up. They were also heavy because of the design.

The response was to develop low-profile cantis, designs which evolved into the V-brake.
Not accurate as far as the timing. Cantilever brakes were around well before (and during and after) MTB U-brakes were designed. The primary reason for U-brake development was the relatively poor performance of cantis. Leverage was much higher with the U-brake but as noted, they quickly mucked up in muddy conditions, and they were heavy-- so everyone went back to Cantis rather quickly. Circa 86 I had an MTB with the under-chainstay Shimano Deore U-brake (Cantis on front) and in non-muddy conditions the power and better modulation of the U-brake was definitely an advantage IMO. In muddy conditions I just left that bike at home and took my other bike with the standard-of-the-time Cantilevers.
Old 08-17-22, 06:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by redcon1
Not accurate as far as the timing. Cantilever brakes were around well before (and during and after) MTB U-brakes were designed. The primary reason for U-brake development was the relatively poor performance of cantis. Leverage was much higher with the U-brake but as noted, they quickly mucked up in muddy conditions, and they were heavy-- so everyone went back to Cantis rather quickly. Circa 86 I had an MTB with the under-chainstay Shimano Deore U-brake (Cantis on front) and in non-muddy conditions the power and better modulation of the U-brake was definitely an advantage IMO. In muddy conditions I just left that bike at home and took my other bike with the standard-of-the-time Cantilevers.
Note that I said “low profile” cantis followed the U-brake.

Similarly, discs followed V’s, which is not to say that discs didn’t exist before nor that V’s disappeared after, I’m talking about trends and common usage. Suntour didn’t eliminate the rollercam from it’s lineup until after they launched the lo-pro XC 9000 series cantis, nor did Shimano drop the U until after the ‘92 intro of XTR and the lo-pro canti.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-17-22, 07:20 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Note that I said “low profile” cantis followed the U-brake.

Similarly, discs followed V’s, which is not to say that discs didn’t exist before nor that V’s disappeared after, I’m talking about trends and common usage. Suntour didn’t eliminate the rollercam from it’s lineup until after they launched the lo-pro XC 9000 series cantis, nor did Shimano drop the U until after the ‘92 intro of XTR and the lo-pro canti.
I did note that.. I just don't put the low-profile arms in their own category, I suppose. The braking performance of the low-pro versions were at best the same-- and with poor setup, even worse than the medium or longer arm canti's. I suppose most everyone, including me, moved quickly to V-brakes, and were elated when disc brakes came along

Edit - I see the first Shimano V-brakes weren't available until 1996 - that was a lot of years of canti-s and u-brakes. I guess the developments in forks and suspension were dominating all my memories of those interim years.

Shimano History (mombatbicycles.com)

Last edited by redcon1; 08-17-22 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-17-22, 08:31 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
U brakes were popular for like 2 years, the odds of finding a bike with them is low. V brakes were popular for a long time and work great.
Old 08-17-22, 09:26 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Both [U and V brakes] are considered "long pull" so you will need matching brake levers or if have an option set the levers set to "long." Meaning the cable head attaches at the location further from the brake lever pivot.
This does not agree with my experience. U brakes were put on bikes before 'long pull' levers were available. Long pull levers weren't a thing, AFAIK, until Mid 90s when V brakes came out. All bikes with U brakes came with the standard 'short pull' levers of the time. There were also brakes very similar to 'u brakes' that were common on old road bikes - 'centre pull caliper brakes' and I think these had very similar geometry to the U brakes, which were typically mounted on posts above the rim... these were used with standard road levers which are definitely 'short pull'
Old 08-17-22, 09:36 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
U brakes were popular for like 2 years, the odds of finding a bike with them is low. V brakes were popular for a long time and work great.
U-brakes are still popular and very much in use on BMX bikes, which the OP's other threads indicate he is riding.
Old 08-17-22, 09:46 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
This does not agree with my experience. U brakes were put on bikes before 'long pull' levers were available. Long pull levers weren't a thing, AFAIK, until Mid 90s when V brakes came out. All bikes with U brakes came with the standard 'short pull' levers of the time. There were also brakes very similar to 'u brakes' that were common on old road bikes - 'centre pull caliper brakes' and I think these had very similar geometry to the U brakes, which were typically mounted on posts above the rim... these were used with standard road levers which are definitely 'short pull'
Also my experience. I have one of those late 80s MTBs with a rear U-brake. I have used it both with vintage road levers and with standard flat bar levers and it works properly with those levers which are now called “short pull”.

Otto
Old 08-17-22, 09:53 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Also my experience. I have one of those late 80s MTBs with a rear U-brake. I have used it both with vintage road levers and with standard flat bar levers and it works properly with those levers which are now called “short pull”.

Otto
When I initially read base2 's post, I thought maybe I was wrong, and maybe long pull levers would have worked better, but, as I recall, U brakes with short pull levers were very crisp and firm feeling, nothing like the unacceptable mushiness that V- or other long-pull-brakes feel like when used with short-pull levers. I am quite certain they are mistaken, or misspoke.
Old 08-17-22, 11:14 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by redcon1
I did note that.. I just don't put the low-profile arms in their own category, I suppose. The braking performance of the low-pro versions were at best the same-- and with poor setup, even worse than the medium or longer arm canti's. I suppose most everyone, including me, moved quickly to V-brakes, and were elated when disc brakes came along

Edit - I see the first Shimano V-brakes weren't available until 1996 - that was a lot of years of canti-s and u-brakes. I guess the developments in forks and suspension were dominating all my memories of those interim years.

Shimano History (mombatbicycles.com)
Not just cantis and U’s, but as I mentioned earlier, roller cam brakes too, which were the design precedent Shimano created the U-brake from.

Charlie Cunningham invented the roller cam and sold it through WTB, later licensing it Suntour in ‘85. Shimano couldn’t directly copy Suntour’s brake, so they came up with the U-brake as the workaround to bring a competitor into that space. So really, Us and roller cams should be considered together, and enjoyed a good 10 years of usage on some of the most interesting, creative, and important framesets dating back the early days of MTB.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-17-22, 11:46 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Well, everyone has a time to eat a big ol' bowl of crow.

I think today is my day. All this time I thought U's (& BMX calipers) were long pull & just accepted things it as-is.

Time to onboard some knowledge in this here noggin' o' mine.

Thanks all.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-17-22, 12:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Let's get down to the root of all this. "V"s and "U"s. If you double up a "V" you get two double "U"s as in "W", not double "V". Spelled out clearly in out alphabet. I rest my case.
Likes For 79pmooney: