Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Sanity Check my E-bike build?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-22, 04:17 PM
guy1138

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts

I think this should be a pretty straight forward project, but I'd love to hear from the DIY folks here about the part selection and brands.

I'm looking at a Bafang 48v, 500 Watt Rear Hub Motor Kit from Greenergy Electric bike Store On Ali Express. They also sell on Amazon and seem pretty reputable.

Paired with the Hailong 48v 13Ahr Battery from the same store.

Total will be $620.

I'm using the Ohm Electric Bikes XU700 ebike frame. Got a great price since it has the BionX system on it. I just don't have the skills to re-wire the motor to make it work with a generic controller. (I only have the battery, wiring and rear wheel motor; missing the head-unit and charger).

About me: I'm a fairly fit cyclist (stopped road racing ~5 yrs ago), and an above average mechanic. Primary use will be school runs for the little guy. Less than 5 miles away; but a few big hills, a "switchback style" highway overpass, and generally uphill on the way there. I know the small battery will be the limiting factor, but I'm not looking for extreme speed or a motorcycle, really just want enough oomph to get the added weight of the "cargo" to school even on days that I don't feel to motivated. Firing up the SUV for that short trip is just killing my conscience.
Old 08-26-22, 10:42 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
Self projects are always a risk. The risk being that you mess up the install and more money needs to be spent, but then there are also the positives.
The satisfaction of a job well done.
The knowledge you gain by the project, should you want to build more
With the knowledge, being able to trouble shoot a repair most issues
And of course the money savings.

Of course, you should weigh the cost differences, seems like in the end it will be close to a factory made ebike
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 08-27-22, 04:31 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Should be pretty straight forward. There's often an unexpected snag on any project, but if you know what you're doing, you find a solution. You'll probably find the battery screws for the Ohm battery don't match the Hailong,

The biggest pitfall is buying the wrong motor/battery, If they use Samsung/LG/Panasonic as advertised, you should be OK.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 08-28-22, 04:23 PM
guy1138

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Of course, you should weigh the cost differences, seems like in the end it will be close to a factory made ebike
Thanks for your input! I'll be just over $800 all-in on this project (assuming I don't screw anything up), and I think since the frame is so nice (aluminum, hydraulic discs, 1x10 drivetrain, Brooks saddle, fenders, suspension fork) that I should come out a bit ahead vs buying commercial. Yeah, I won't have the warranty or support compared to a RadPower bike, and the 500w w/ 13Ahr battery is on the "entry level" side. If I could find a nice, lightly used E-bike in my area, I would go that way, but I just haven't been lucky in months, so I'm leaning towards this route.

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
You'll probably find the battery screws for the Ohm battery don't match the Hailong, ....If they use Samsung/LG/Panasonic as advertised, you should be OK.
Thanks for the heads up! The Ohm has 3 bottle bosses on the downtube, do you think that will increase my odds? If not, I have wanted an excuse to buy a RivNut tool for awhile, this may be it.

They *say* they use the good cells, so *fingers crossed*.
Old 08-30-22, 07:57 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I bought a box of Riv-nuts. I believe that for a couple of installs, one can suffice with ordinary hand tools,.I've not used them yet, as I still worry about weakening the frames. I've been using hose clamps to hold my battery cradles.
Old 08-30-22, 10:30 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Wolf Tooth Components has a product which can reposition water bottle based connectors (BRad); it has been effective for me.