Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rear Rack

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rear Rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-22, 11:18 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hey guys reviving the thread, but what are the takes on Axiom DLX Streamliner Rack, or it does not suit as a touring rack.
Old 09-04-22, 04:50 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzen
Hey guys reviving the thread, but what are the takes on Axiom DLX Streamliner Rack, or it does not suit as a touring rack.
I like it. It is a nice sturdy well made rack. I find the narrow top to be a plus. It keeps the whole load a bit more narrow. Some who need a wide platform on top may find that a disadvantage.
Old 09-04-22, 07:35 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzen
The bike is a Mikado touring bike from the 80s, and for the time being panniers will be on the back rack? I am not exactly sure as once I have the rack, I will buy stuff accordingly. I am doing things a bit backwards
​​​​​​Don't overthink all this too much, the two racks you mention are perfectly good racks.

They will work fine.

Start buying stuff so you can get an idea of what volume and weight you'll be dealing with, this is more important than being overly concerned about the rack.
Old 09-04-22, 11:13 AM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I like it. It is a nice sturdy well made rack. I find the narrow top to be a plus. It keeps the whole load a bit more narrow. Some who need a wide platform on top may find that a disadvantage.
Hey Pete, thanks and someone is selling the rack for $30 used, so I will get it. Nice to see there are cyclists in Tally. I used to live there but it seemed like it wasn't ever safe to bike because of all the bad drivers and accidents. Btw, your link in your signature doesn't work and I had to manually copy it, will follow your posts to see your rides.

Originally Posted by djb
​​​​​​
Don't overthink all this too much, the two racks you mention are perfectly good racks.

They will work fine.

Start buying stuff so you can get an idea of what volume and weight you'll be dealing with, this is more important than being overly concerned about the rack.
Thanks DJB, I actually got busy with life and other stuff that I missed the entire summer to do some short tours (like the ones you mentioned to me in another post), hopefully I can still do something before November. I actually got a Miyata 615 for $210, but it does not ride as good as the Mikado (which also has these droplets in middle of the fork for front rack). But you are right, I just need to start buying stuff and jump on it.
Old 09-04-22, 07:24 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Hope you can try out touring this year.