Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is your average miles per week (or hours) for us old guys...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is your average miles per week (or hours) for us old guys...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-16, 12:49 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
About 90 miles/week last year.

60, working, mostly weekend warrior.

Oh and looks like it was 4,500'/week climbing.
Old 03-05-16, 04:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
My 2015 mileage total was 4400 miles - 85 miles per week but a lot more than that in the riding seasons and a lot less in Winter.
Old 03-07-16, 01:50 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Great Sense of Humor?

Originally Posted by StephenH
Last year, I got in 10,968.15 miles...
I'm assuming that you have a terrific sense of humor, to include quite a bit of irony, because one might question (otherwise) how you're sure you have achieved 5 ppm precision in your calibrated cyclometer...

...perhaps it was PhD dissertation involving cesium atoms...
Old 03-07-16, 02:15 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I'm assuming that you have a terrific sense of humor, to include quite a bit of irony, because one might question (otherwise) how you're sure you have achieved 5 ppm precision in your calibrated cyclometer...

...perhaps it was PhD dissertation involving cesium atoms...
There is a line of thought that in engineering calculations, all results should be rounded so that the number of significant digits shown reflects the accuracy involved. I disagree with this line of thought.
For one thing, the additional rounding never improves the calculation, but it can deteriorate the accuracy further if performed at intermediate states.
Secondly, many results have less than one significant digit of real accuracy involved. For example, in my work, I do some seismic analysis. The numbers will all be based on seismic coefficients tabulated as 3 or 4 significant figures. But in actuality, that calculation, when completed, is no more accurate than +/- 50%, if that.
Thirdly, the additional rounding requires additional effort, when the actual point of it is to save additional effort, dating from days of slide rules, etc.
And I find in normal usage, that this is not practiced.
For example, in your stats there, it shows you have a '77 Centurion Semi-Pro. Did you realize that our current system of BC/AD is estimated to be around 8 years off? So properly, that '77 should be rounded to either '80 or 2000, depending on the accuracy you mean to imply. But in fact, nobody cares and nobody does it that way. And if you see a car with 231,189.7 miles on the odometer, you never stop to think "Golly, a quarter inch of tread worn off the tires would throw those last several digits right out the window!"

On my longer rides, at my current settings, my odometer will read a bit over a mile off on a 200k. Sometimes, I'll enter the odometer reading, sometimes it's the RWGPS mileage. But in either case, roughly +/- 1%.
And, as a bit of trivia, on the tandem, I've got separate odometers reading off the front and rear wheels, so at a the conclusion of a ride, the difference in the readings must be how much longer the bike got, during the ride.
Old 03-07-16, 02:16 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
5.5 mile commute since mid-August, 2-8 miles at lunch depending on which restaurant sounds good, plus 0, 30 or 60 miles on the weekend. Not bad for 52.

Attached Images
File Type: png
Untitled.png (19.3 KB, 582 views)

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 03-07-16, 04:29 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 490 Posts
May-Sept=150M per week.

Oct-Apr=0M per week

So, about 2.2M per week avg.
Old 03-07-16, 05:17 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
New here, still working but fortunately my hours are 10-630 so I have time to get miles in in the morning. Living in south Florida I can ride year round and I usually get 5-6 days per week in and 130-200 miles depending on weekend rides. Friday I took the day off and closed out my 40's with a nice 66 mile ride from Deerfield to West Palm Beach and back. Last Sunday I did Tour de Broward and turned in my fastest 100K yet at 3:02:57. I soooo wanted to be under 3 hours, but hey, maybe next time.
Old 03-07-16, 05:26 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
9 to 16 miles a week,

But they are Intense Single Track rides mixed with Short punchy climbs that have been known to make me cry in pain and sometimes Intervals that often make me puke.

Hey, It's my way, I like the pain.

The Rewards are the rides where I seek and find the flow~

I stopped tracking the miles of my mid week Recumbent leg burn spin rides,, they are 30 minutes to an hour..
Old 03-07-16, 07:28 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
And, as a bit of trivia, on the tandem, I've got separate odometers reading off the front and rear wheels, so at a the conclusion of a ride, the difference in the readings must be how much longer the bike got, during the ride.
Interesting.
Hmmmmmm..............what if I added a second Garmin GPS computer for my stoker and compared the results............
Old 03-08-16, 10:34 AM
raincrosswrench

Bikes: '81 Helton tandem, '82 Somec, '96 Merckx Ti, '09 Gunnar XC, '13 Shannon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Average miles...

I'm 56 & still working 40+ hrs per week. I try very hard to ride an hour a day during the work week, with one rest day thrown in on whatever day is hardest to schedule that time in. In the summer, I'll commute one way (my wife works at the same place, so I've got an ideal back up!) 2-3 times a week (23 miles), or fit something in during the evening. In winter here in upstate NY that means riding on the trainer. On weekends I try to get at least one 40+ mile ride in each week. That brings my average to around 140 miles per week, and the last several years around 7k miles per year. My wife thinks I'm obsessed, but she likes me thin too ;-)
Old 03-08-16, 10:42 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by raincrosswrench
In winter here in upstate NY that means riding on the trainer.
No it doesn't.

Old 03-08-16, 10:46 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm 62 and still working full time, and I ride and bike commute year-round. I typically ride more than 9,000 miles a year, which works out to about 175 miles/week on average. My commutes are about 32 miles round trip, and I ride a lot of 40, 50, 60+ milers on weekends. I also ride several bike tours most years.
Old 03-08-16, 10:48 AM
raincrosswrench

Bikes: '81 Helton tandem, '82 Somec, '96 Merckx Ti, '09 Gunnar XC, '13 Shannon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're a better man than me on a day like the picture! I ride when roads are dry, and the temp is above 20, but I draw the line at riding through snow on the ground-- way too much chance I'll be on the ground too!
Old 03-08-16, 11:24 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I don't like cold toes, but I REALLY don't like getting hit by a car skidding on ice. TSL can have that slippery, sloppy wet snow that probably turned straight to ice as soon as the sun went down.
Old 03-08-16, 12:00 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I wont get the classics out until the road dries. At this point in the spring every ride produces a bike that needs a wash. Still some residual salt there, too.
Old 03-08-16, 12:02 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by tsl
No it doesn't.

There it is. I'm a convinced snowrider now. No more boredom.
Old 03-08-16, 01:24 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I don't like cold toes, but I REALLY don't like getting hit by a car skidding on ice. TSL can have that slippery, sloppy wet snow that probably turned straight to ice as soon as the sun went down.
Skidding cars certainly are a hazard peculiar to winter, from both forward and behind, so my rear view mirror is even more important for those unpredictable events. In addition, I ride a particularly safe and well-tended route in the outbound (reverse) commuter direction early in the morning.

With my studded tires I have been able to climb icy hills that the cars can’t.
Old 03-08-16, 02:40 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
The hard part for me is getting motivated to ride point A to point A. Why bother if you're only going to end up back where you started?
You need to look for interesting things along the way. I've ridden the same loop four times in the past week. Each time I see something different: the ice is starting to break up on the lake, snow melt is flooding some of the roads, the geese are back in abundance, red-wing blackbirds are back, the deer carcass from last fall is now exposed from under the snow and pretty well worked over, etc.
Old 03-08-16, 03:52 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Last Summer, I did 80-120 miles/week. (So Between 4.5-7 hrs, roughly.) This winter I've only put on about 100 miles, total, in little 11 to 15 mile bits. Sigh.
Old 03-08-16, 04:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
The hard part for me is getting motivated to ride point A to point A. Why bother if you're only going to end up back where you started?.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
You need to look for interesting things along the way. I've ridden the same loop four times in the past week. Each time I see something different....
I previously replied to this thread on the Commuting Forum, ”How to motivate myself to ride when I'll no longer be commuting to work?”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by jfowler85
I have a hard time riding unless I am commuting to a destination. Otherwise I just get bored.
Now while I enjoy cycling under my life circumstances, one discouragement over my usual routes is boredom. I have posted a couple mental tricks to alleviate boredom:

I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving. So when the commute is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view...
A local BF subscriber @rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same 11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that just the lighting / time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.” So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse.

And after buying a high end carbon fiber bike:

……I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting, making cycle-commuting [and riding in general] more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.
Finally, one mental trick I have used is an imaginary riding partner. Since Boston is such an interesting town, and I like showing visitors around, I occasionally "show" around a fellow BF subscriber from my native Midwest, whose posts I like, and point out various sights on my route.

Originally Posted by Daniel Tosh
Even when I was a kid, my imaginary friend would play with the kid across the street. I'd be like, "Hey, so I guess I'll see you later," and he's, like, "Whatever...
Originally Posted by tsl
...That's how I know my miles are likely to fall precipitously when I retire. Which is part of the reason I've pushed my retirement date out as far as possible. June 30, 2027 if all goes according to plan.
Just yesterday a colleague asked me when I was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, “I like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to.”

PS:
Originally Posted by jfowler85
Damn it jim, I keep clicking on the notice of my posts having been quoted without realizing it was you putting me in a quote box maze.
Fixed it for you.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-09-16 at 07:08 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 03-08-16, 04:09 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may have answered this already but it's about 200 mi per month
Old 03-08-16, 04:12 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
100-175 a week
Old 03-08-16, 05:25 PM
OldsCOOL

Just yesterday a colleague asked me when I was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, “I like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to.”
I like that.

I was riding my Trek 820 MTB to work and one guy that didnt know me said "you DO have a drivers liscense, dont you??". I said just because I ride a mountain bike to work doesnt mean I'm DUI. We both had a laugh.
Old 03-08-16, 06:03 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Last year it was 4600Km

2016 will be probably over 5000km
Old 03-08-16, 06:22 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
73 and retired. Normal five to 15 miles/day, six days a week weather permitting during riding season. Off season, less than that. Zero bike mileage during our roughly collective eight weeks/year of vacation travel.

Last edited by ltxi; 03-08-16 at 06:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.