Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 09:17 AM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Nice. Those copper fenders... were you actually able to find them in 26-inch size? I have a pair in 700c that I want to fit to a 1st generation Schwinn High Sierra (Pre-Cimarron). It's black, so the copper fenders will really class it up. But I figure I'll have to fit some pretty large tires to fill the gap, and I don't think these 50mm fenders are wide enough. Any advice?
These were some fenders for another project, I slapped them on this bike for riding at the beach. I think they were 700c, I mounted them high for clearance ( I was in a hurry), and extended the front fender down for salt splay by splicing in a mtb fender. I'm using them on 38x700c tires, and are plenty wide. There are some youtube videos on re-curving fenders to different wheel sizes, and I bet you could get them pretty close if you tried. I didn't really try very hard LOL... (Just look at it .. laughable really, I think I even mounted the rear fender OVER the vbrake cable to clear it. Also notice my classy zip tie on the seat tube. I just wanted something to clear without rubbing. This is more my beater bike. I'm thinking I might restore it this fall it did so well on this weekend's ride, and that would include fitting the fenders better.

Last edited by dualresponse; 08-16-22 at 09:24 AM.
Likes For dualresponse:
Old 08-27-22, 07:58 AM
Hi_c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
[QUOTE=Lbxpdx;22530659]My 91 TREK 990.

/QUOTE]

is that the factory paint?
Old 08-27-22, 08:00 AM
Hi_c

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
[QUOTE=Hi_c;22625627]
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
My 91 TREK 990.

/QUOTE]

is that the factory paint?
never mind, I zoomed in and an see it’s a partially removed rattler can job, but it’s striking none the less and a nice build!
Old 08-27-22, 08:27 AM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
[QUOTE=Hi_c;22625631]
Originally Posted by Hi_c

never mind, I zoomed in and an see it’s a partially removed rattler can job, but it’s striking none the less and a nice build!
it’s factory. Black fade to conch. Someone tried to scrap off the black. I think they thought it wasn’t factory.
Old 08-28-22, 10:14 AM
Sluggo

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts

An alternate approach to standard MTB fit with riser stem to compenate for the low stock handlebar position is a road-size frame with a short stem and HBs that sweep back to compensate for the long top tube. I could have gone shorter on the stem, but this fit the rider reasonably well.
Likes For Sluggo:
Old 09-01-22, 02:38 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Golden Hour, Morning Edition

Love this bike!
* (Secret tribute to Kurt Vonnegut. If you know, you know. If you don't, it would be hard to explain...)

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 09-01-22, 08:51 PM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
The bike, the build, the light & the composition...
Spot on!
Likes For OutnBack:
Old 09-05-22, 12:36 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 408 Posts

My latest project...a mid 90's, maybe 96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo mtb.

I prefer the old school 1" threaded steerer tube bikes , stems and headsets.

Even though this Gary Fisher has a 1 1/8th threadless set up with the fork steerer tube already cut to original owner's preferences
I decided to give it a go to get the bars up to my preferred riding height.

I finished it up today and like the position now.
I may go from a 10cm to 12cm stem but it rides very well with the new taller stem and new handlebar as well as the smooth rolling 26 x 2.1 Tioga Powerblock tires I have on it.

That deep purple is kinda cool I think.

Last edited by cooperryder; 09-05-22 at 03:24 PM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-05-22, 02:31 PM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Better pics:

Took the front rack off because it looked too goofy. Wheels came from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse (XT disc hubs, 36 spokes for commuting/touring durability!), the bar is a Kalloy AL-030. I like this bar so much I have one on 3 other bikes. I have another bike with a Bontrager Satellite handlebar that I’m pretty sure is just a rebadged AL-030. So I guess you could say I’ve got 5 bikes with this bar…

The bike originally came with some dismal SunTour 3x7 components but I built it up with full XT 7 speed for a while. After accumulating enough bits and bobs, it’s now sporting a mishmash of Shimano 3x9 and a sweet SunTour XC Comp crankset. Shifts perfectly and rides really nice.
I was looking back through some of this year's posts to this thread. Your Panasonic 4500 looks terrific and what nice upgrades.

I think my early 90's Miele mtb has a similar tubing sticker. I'm going to double check that.

My Miele is a great riding vintage mtb with upright bars.

Is your Panasonic a 22 or 23" frame?

That crank blends in in nicely and looks great.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-05-22, 02:55 PM
cooperryder

This is another project bike from around 2 months back. It's a vintage Peugeot from late 70's best I can figure. I think it may be an UO10 but not certain. At any rate it's a real frankenbike build but it rides oh so nicely.

I completely disassembled and rebuilt with mostly parts bin components.

I spent about 30 to 40 minutes sanding that 22.2 tall dirt drop style stem to 22.0 to fit.

It allows me to get the bars to my preferred height.

Those are 650b wheels/tires. I'm going to add a tan saddle as soon as it arrives.

I've since changed out the black Tektro super long reach calipers to Tektro silver super long reach ones.

Last edited by cooperryder; 09-05-22 at 03:21 PM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-05-22, 03:16 PM
cooperryder

Love this bike!
* (Secret tribute to Kurt Vonnegut. If you know, you know. If you don't, it would be hard to explain...)
DQRider, your Dawes Ranger looks terrific and great pic.

I saw one listed on United Kingdom eBay for $405 listed as a 1984 model with 531 Reynolds and seller says it's been powdercoated.

Did all of them have Reynolds tubing from this era?
What year model is yours?

I screen shot 3 of the pics of that eBay listing.

Here's seller's description...

"Dawes Ranger ATB. Full Reynolds 531 all-terrain. Powder-coated and partially lug- lined. The original paint wasn't in great condition, but the frame is very sound. No cracks, bends, dents etc. I was going to fix that broken cable guide but it wasn't causing any issues.
It's been swapped to a deore 7 speed group with shimano freewheel over the heliomatic/maillard combination.
Got the original badge if you want it."
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-05-22, 04:52 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by cooperryder
DQRider, your Dawes Ranger looks terrific and great pic.
I saw one listed on United Kingdom eBay for $405 listed as a 1984 model with 531 Reynolds and seller says it's been powdercoated.
Did all of them have Reynolds tubing from this era?
What year model is yours?
I screen shot 3 of the pics of that eBay listing.
Here's seller's description...
"Dawes Ranger ATB. Full Reynolds 531 all-terrain. Powder-coated and partially lug- lined. The original paint wasn't in great condition, but the frame is very sound. No cracks, bends, dents etc. I was going to fix that broken cable guide but it wasn't causing any issues.
It's been swapped to a deore 7 speed group with shimano freewheel over the heliomatic/maillard combination.
Got the original badge if you want it."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I know is that this was probably the first mass-produced ATB/MTB imported to the USA from the UK. Mine is a 1984 as well. Remember, all of the quality manufacturers of the period were putting their best efforts into this potentially HUGE new market, which is one reason why I've made them the focus of my collection.

The catalog claims they were all hand-built, as does the original decal - I'll get some shots of those as I begin my painstaking preservation this winter. But I've just gone out to the shop and shot this for you:

"Guaranteed built with Reynolds 531 All-Terrain Forks, Stays, and Butted Frame Tubes" - The other decal on the right shows the tail end of"Hand-Built"

I looked-up the ad: It looks to me like the eBay seller removed the slingshot stem and took other liberties that significantly reduce the value of his offering. Also, I'm pretty sure he has the exchange rate wrong... things have changed, mate!

(Why is Pink Floyd playing on my internal gramaphone?)

Honestly, these first-generation ATB/MTBs were no great shakes off-road. They were modelled after the Mt. Tamalpais "klunkers", after all. And those were just stripped-down cruisers built by stoners. Dude! I raced my Lotus Pegasus at Big Bear and Mammoth mountains back in 1985-6, with the Marine Corps team "Devildogs" out of the special services lodge at Big Bear. My most vivid recollection involves descending on single track through the forest, arms straight-out in front of me, chest on the saddle (no dropper posts or suspension), hanging my arse out over the rear wheel for balance, then holes in my shorts and knobby-rash on my cheeks from the back tire bouncing over the rough terrain. At the end of a typical race, I looked as though I'd been sodomized by a Grizzly!

I know... you're welcome!

The way I've built mine up, it is the most comfortable of all my bikes on any terrain I would dare to ride. If you are interested in that eBay Ranger, I would show the seller this post and renegotiate the asking price.

Best of Luck!
* (Don't worry, Kurt. I didn't forget.)

Last edited by DQRider; 09-05-22 at 08:17 PM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 09-05-22, 05:02 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

This is another project bike from around 2 months back. It's a vintage Peugeot from late 70's best I can figure. I think it may be an UO10 but not certain. At any rate it's a real frankenbike build but it rides oh so nicely.

I completely disassembled and rebuilt with mostly parts bin components.

I spent about 30 to 40 minutes sanding that 22.2 tall dirt drop style stem to 22.0 to fit.

It allows me to get the bars to my preferred height.

Those are 650b wheels/tires. I'm going to add a tan saddle as soon as it arrives.

I've since changed out the black Tektro super long reach calipers to Tektro silver super long reach ones.
Wow!
Just... wow.

My imagination has been nudging me in this direction for a while now, but it looks like you have set the bar pretty high. What a beautiful machine!

What inspired you?

Likes For DQRider:
Old 09-05-22, 07:36 PM
cooperryder

Wow!
Just... wow.

My imagination has been nudging me in this direction for a while now, but it looks like you have set the bar pretty high. What a beautiful machine!

What inspired you?
Thank you DQRider.
I appreciate the compliment as your builds are all so very nice.

I confess I just look at Craigslist and FB Marketplace way to often for good deals on bikes that appeal to me with the idea I will disassemble it and build it up to accommodate my aging body. I cannot get comfortable on original road bars and low stems.

I guess there are lots more expensive hobbies to have and I try to keep my overall build costs reasonably low.

With lots of bikes coming through my hands over the years I have a pretty good supply of extra parts.

A fellow no more than two to three miles away listed this for $80.

It was my size ,60cm, and that color just hooked me.
I really like the aesthetics of most vintage Peugeots as their decals are so cool looking to me and this particular blue green looking color I really liked. They call it blue Astral but it looks more of a green than a blue to me.

I looked up blue Astral color and sure enough some shades of it look like this frame color.

It was a bit rough with some rust on various parts and a some scratches here and there but we call that patina don't we or I've heard Grant Petersen call it beausage.

The wheels were not in great shape either but I had this decent pair of 650b wheels and thought , why not try it?

After a complete disassembly I reused the original French bottom bracket , headset, and a crazy size 24 seatpost.

I'm actively looking for a better looking seatpost in that size.

I've had maybe 3 or 4 other Peugeots but not with a seat post that size.

After resolving the tall enough stem sizing by sanding I had trouble on long enough reach brake calipers to hit the 650b rims.

Tektro 559's, my go to long reach calipers just did not have enough reach.

I had these super long reach Tektro cruiser calipers in my parts and they worked.

Surprisingly I had bought them 5 to 7 years back for a vintage Peugeot Orient Express mtb with the under the chainstay brake.
I didn't care for the black so I got the same calipers in silver.

They are a bit on the funky side in my opinion but they are working well enough.

The bike originally had 27" wheels.

Best I can tell from the Peugeot catalog is that a 1978 Peugeot UO10 looks very similar with the decals and original parts and blue astral is listed as one of the available colors.

Goodness I got wordy.

But in summary the color and decals appealed strongly to me and I just got going picking this and that part from the bins until I had it rolling.

I like to get a bike rolling as soon as I can to see if I like it well enough to keep and then tweak and add this or that part or accessory to it.
The ride is superb even though the tubing is just listed as Peugeot lightweight tubing.
I would guess it's straight gauge.

I am very pleased overall with how this one came together.

A good friend that loves vintage bikes as well rode it and was impressed with the nice ride.

I'll snap some more pics after the tan saddle comes in and gets installed.

Thanks again and forgive the excess verbiage.

Last edited by cooperryder; 09-05-22 at 07:41 PM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-05-22, 08:14 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

I am sort-of snipping the bits that I want to reply to here...

Thank you DQRider.
I appreciate the compliment as your builds are all so very nice.
Likewise, my friend. We share a common aesthetic and physiological circumstances as well.

Goodness I got wordy.
Keep it up! Some of us here actually like to read!

But in summary the color and decals appealed strongly to me and I just got going picking this and that part from the bins until I had it rolling.
Not sure who originally wrote it, but you and I work through the same formula: Quality lugged-steel frameset + quality MTB or touring drivetrain + comfortable, quality cockpit arrangement + quality mission-specific accessories = The Perfect Gentleman's Express Bicycle. They come in many shapes and sizes, but all of them possess these attributes in common.

I look forward to your ride photos and reports on this bike. And cooperryder? Do, please, be wordy.
* 4U, Kurt.

Last edited by DQRider; 09-05-22 at 10:42 PM. Reason: 11:42pm - Can't sleep again.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 09-06-22, 07:33 AM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
1988 Fisher Montare Deore. I restored this a few years back and it became the cruiser I’d take on family trips. Now set up for commuting duties after I sold my old LHT. Waiting for some fenders.

The big Bosco bars are great and it takes a front load well with the slack head tube angle.

Old 09-06-22, 07:47 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
my big BMX bike

Old 09-06-22, 08:42 AM
cooperryder

'Eye' like this bike...Bridgestone CB Zip.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-06-22, 08:57 AM
cooperryder

Here's the type of sturdy cloth bag I sometimes use if on one of my bikes without a rack or basket or panniers and need to carry a few items.
I double tie it up high enough to avoid tire contact. Tire contact can cause a crash. I learned the hard way.

The cloth handle usually unties pretty easily. It helps to have two of the bags to balance the load .

I ride slower when riding with bags on the bars.

Caveat... Attempt this at your own risk.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-06-22, 08:19 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Guess I could add this goofy thing in here. '96 Trek 930 converted from a Rock Shox Quadra5 to rigid, and a Soma Clarence bar for style:

Rack may or may not stay....
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 09-06-22, 08:24 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
I was looking back through some of this year's posts to this thread. Your Panasonic 4500 looks terrific and what nice upgrades.

I think my early 90's Miele mtb has a similar tubing sticker. I'm going to double check that.

My Miele is a great riding vintage mtb with upright bars.

Is your Panasonic a 22 or 23" frame?

That crank blends in in nicely and looks great.
Thank you! I think its a 20" frame. I bought it from my local collective as a complete, whole, unmolested bike for $70. A real score. The mid/low level Suntour components were dismal to say the least, so I spent a few years tuning and tweaking. It is supremely comfortable and surprisingly fast in spite of the upright position. Thanks for the complements; it is at the top of the list of favorites of mine.
Old 09-07-22, 06:35 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Stumpjumper with risers in Manhattan

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 09-07-22, 12:04 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts

Agree on the purple, yours reminds me of the purple on my '93 Mongoose. Love it.
Old 09-07-22, 04:28 PM
cooperryder

I prefer the old school 1" threaded steerer tube bikes , stems and headsets.

Even though this Gary Fisher has a 1 1/8th threadless set up with the fork steerer tube already cut to original owner's preferences
I decided to give it a go to get the bars up to my preferred riding height.

I finished it up today and like the position now.
I may go from a 10cm to 12cm stem but it rides very well with the new taller stem and new handlebar as well as the smooth rolling 26 x 2.1 Tioga Powerblock tires I have on it.

Today I checked the vintage Trek site Gary Fisher catalogs and found this is a 1994 Hoo Koo E Koo and the color is Ballistic Blue not purple.
The decals are purple but not the paint, however it still looks purple to me.

Last edited by cooperryder; 10-10-22 at 10:20 AM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-08-22, 02:48 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Today I checked the vintage Trek site Gary Fisher catalogs and found this is a 1994 Hoo Koo E Koo and the color is Ballistic Blue not purple.
The decals are purple but not the paint.
As someone more famous than me said "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.