Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lynskey Premier

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21, 12:24 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Lynskey Premier, Litespeed

Any thoughts on these bikes. I have been looking at possibly getting a titanium bike. I read the Premier is not butted , straight tubes .Chorus . Asking 2200, the other 1400, Litespeed, Durace , Any info? Opinion , etc Thanks

Last edited by rossiny; 03-17-21 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-17-21, 01:03 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
That Litespeed is not only a much older frame, so are the DA components and likely 9 speed.

If it were me, I’d choose the Premier with Chorus 11.
Likes For primov8:
Old 03-17-21, 01:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Yes, the Lynskey is well worth the price difference. The Litespeed is overpriced, IMO. The Lynskey has better wheels, components, fork and the Ti seatpost is an expensive extra. You'll likely have clearance for 28s on the Lynskey while limited to 25s or even 23s on the Litspeed.
Old 03-17-21, 02:50 PM
rossiny

Originally Posted by primov8
That Litespeed is not only a much older frame, so are the DA components and likely 9 speed.

If it were me, I’d choose the Premier with Chorus 11.
yes I like the look on that one and has the comfort geometry , what about that the Premier is is not butted.
Old 03-17-21, 02:52 PM
rossiny

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yes, the Lynskey is well worth the price difference. The Litespeed is overpriced, IMO. The Lynskey has better wheels, components, fork and the Ti seatpost is an expensive extra. You'll likely have clearance for 28s on the Lynskey while limited to 25s or even 23s on the Litspeed.
YES I noted about the clearance and that would be better with these roads in Kenosha , Wisconsin...
Any info at all on this model . I only have vintage steel road, and vintage steel mountain bike..
Thanks

Last edited by rossiny; 03-17-21 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-17-21, 03:03 PM
rossiny

PS, both are in my area and frame size .. So they got that going for them
Old 03-17-21, 03:09 PM
primov8

Originally Posted by rossiny
yes I like the look on that one and has the comfort geometry , what about that the Premier is is not butted.
From what I've read and been told is that butted tubing helps in weight reduction. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker for not being butted. If anything, everything else included on that Premier makes it a pretty good buy.
Old 03-17-21, 03:13 PM
rossiny

From what I've read and been told is that butted tubing helps in weight reduction. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker for not being butted. If anything, everything else included on that Premier makes it a pretty good buy.
woukd it effect performance , strength in any way ? NOT that I am a racer. , mind you...
Old 03-17-21, 03:27 PM
primov8

I highly doubt it. I remember reading how straight gauge and butted tubing having the same outside diameter, same wall thickness on the ends but butted tubing would be thinner in the middle for weight savings.

Take it for test ride and if the geometry works for you, I'll say it again, its a really good buy. Plus, I think the Premier frameset was released around 2018 or 2019.
Old 03-17-21, 03:59 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Not going to repeat all the good reasons previously expressed for going with the Lynskey vs the LS. My first LS was "plain" (unbutted) tubing. It rode great - a great "all day in the saddle" machine, and IIRC the weight saving over a similarly-sized butted frame was ~4-6 oz. I only sold it because I got a good deal on my "dream frame" - another Litespeed - which I ride to this day - it's 6/4 Ti, which is built differently from standard 3/2.5 Ti - I honestly don't know it's butted, but it really makes little difference. If "un-butted vs butted" is the only thing holding you up, don't let it.
Trying to figure out what model the LS is, but I'm guessing it's a mid/late-90's Natchez or Catalyst (they ditched DT-mounted cable stops in '98) - not saying that it's not good for the mileage, but it's bordering on obsolete - betting that's a 1" steerer, for example. It'd be an easy choice for me, even with the price difference
Old 03-17-21, 04:28 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

re butted tubing

I have an earlier version similar to the Prestige. Mine was called the Peloton, IIRC. Straight gauge tubing and "endurance" geometry. When I was shopping for it I discussed the tubing with the folks at Lynskey. I told them I wanted whichever of the frames rode most like steel but was lighter. The Peloton was what they recommended. At the time, the straight gauge frame was actually lighter than the butted R2XX frame. Apparently the R2XX used larger tubes for additional stiffness. They used to have a series of YouTube videos describing the differences in the frames. My frame does not seem "noodly" or otherwise compromised by the tubing. Anyway, I've been very happy with the bike. With GP5000 28s it's as close to comfortable on a bad road as I have any right to expect!
Old 03-17-21, 06:57 PM
rossiny

Thanks for all the good info. If any one has this model would be great. I am probably going to take for a test ride at least see how it goes. Its a big jump for me never rode anything but vintage steel .. 80s .. hehehe
Old 03-18-21, 03:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
That’s “comfort geometry” on the Lynskey? It looks pretty short and steep, and has lots of saddle-to-bar drop. Is that what Lynskey calls the geometry?
Old 03-18-21, 07:48 AM
primov8

Originally Posted by chaadster
That’s “comfort geometry” on the Lynskey? It looks pretty short and steep, and has lots of saddle-to-bar drop. Is that what Lynskey calls the geometry?
That saddle to bar drop has to do with the sloping TT and the current owner utilizing what looks like a -17º stem. I think the Premier was being sold as a "light touring" frameset/bike and definitely does not have the geometry of Lynskey's Pro lineup with longer TT and shorter HT lengths.
Old 03-18-21, 07:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yes, that's just a bizarre set up the seller has. Bike didn't fit him, maybe why he's selling.
Old 03-18-21, 08:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Yes, that's just a bizarre set up the seller has. Bike didn't fit him, maybe why he's selling.
I'm curious as to why you say this? The exposed seatpost suggests the owner needs a larger frame...But that will have a taller headtube, and so he would have even more trouble getting the handlebar as low as he seems to want it.
Old 03-18-21, 10:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

That saddle to bar drop has to do with the sloping TT and the current owner utilizing what looks like a -17º stem. I think the Premier was being sold as a "light touring" frameset/bike and definitely does not have the geometry of Lynskey's Pro lineup with longer TT and shorter HT lengths.
Saddle to bar drop has nothing to do with a sloping top tube; the bars and saddle would have the same drop if the TT were level, of course, because they’re set for the rider’s preferred location.

Like I said, the bike looks short (chainstays & wheelbase) and steep (headtube angle); it doesn’t look like what I’d call comfort geometry, but it could just be a trick of the camera angle making me think that.

It’s also confusing if Lynskey billed it a light tourer, as there are no rack or fender mounts, either.

Maybe we’re confusing model info here?
Old 03-18-21, 10:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

It doesn’t look bizarre to me, but rather purposeful, racy, and cool. Given stems of that angle are non-standard, without seeing the rider on the bike, I’d assume the opposite of what you have, and guess that the bike fits the rider perfectly. I think it would be exceptionally rare for a novice to set up the bike with that much bar drop, or even to buy a bike with that much seatpost extension. Plus, it’s clearly spec’d with considered components, further suggesting the owner knows exactly what they like and want.
Old 03-18-21, 10:45 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Ok, yeah, it’s not comfort geo...here’s from Lynskey’s FB page:

“The Lynskey Premier is tribute to the era of clean lines and beautifully conservative aesthetics. This frame design was inspired by our immensely popular R260 frame. Responsive, quick, and nimble, yet buttery smooth for your epic solo road adventure or weekend group century. The 44mm Oversized Headtube is extremely versatile as it can accept either straight or tapered steerer tube forks depending on which headset you install. Featuring our legendary sport geometry that has always been the pinnacle of efficient power transfer and confident handling. The straight seat stays provide for a solid yet compliant ride quality in the saddle, perfect for longer club rides. https://lynskeyperformance.com/2019-...road-frameset/
Old 03-18-21, 10:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I stand corrected on all counts Nevertheless, still think it would be a good choice for OP.
Old 03-18-21, 11:00 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I stand corrected on all counts Nevertheless, still think it would be a good choice for OP.
Nah, c’mon...there are so many bikes, it’s hard to keep them all straight! It seems there have been a lot of Lynskey models over the years, too. But yeah, I agree that’d definitely be a sweet bike to have in the stable! I love the spec on that one in particular.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-18-21, 11:30 AM
rossiny

Considering the frame is a 58cm, with that seat post he must be a giant and like to ride in an aero tuck position. I guess will take a ride up and look . I want responsive but comfort. Looking at the frame only it looks like if you flip the stem and lower the post would be much better for me. I guess I've heard so much about titanium and like the all campy,. I'll post back if buy it. Thanks again.
Likes For rossiny:
Old 03-18-21, 11:53 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Considering the frame is a 58cm, with that seat post he must be a giant and like to ride in an aero tuck position. I guess will take a ride up and look . I want responsive but comfort. Looking at the frame only it looks like if you flip the stem and lower the post would be much better for me. I guess I've heard so much about titanium and like the all campy,. I'll post back if buy it. Thanks again.
How did you determine it’s a 58cm? It looks
like Lynskey used T-shirt sizing on these, none of which have 58cm seat tube lengths. If it’s a size Large, for example, the seat tube is only 54cm, so by eyeballing it, I’d guess the owner has an inseam around 33-34”, kinda typical for 6’er, not a giant. If you’re shopping 58s, you may find you run more seatpost extension than you’re used to on this too, due to that shortish seat tube.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-18-21, 12:56 PM
primov8

Originally Posted by chaadster
Saddle to bar drop has nothing to do with a sloping top tube; the bars and saddle would have the same drop if the TT were level, of course, because they’re set for the rider’s preferred location.

Like I said, the bike looks short (chainstays & wheelbase) and steep (headtube angle); it doesn’t look like what I’d call comfort geometry, but it could just be a trick of the camera angle making me think that.

It’s also confusing if Lynskey billed it a light tourer, as there are no rack or fender mounts, either.

Maybe we’re confusing model info here?
You're right. I worded it wrong as I was thinking how much more of the seatpost can be exposed when the TT is compact/sloping as in the case with this Premier.
Likes For primov8:
Old 03-21-21, 07:43 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
If that is important to you, then you better check it in person.

I have a Lynskey R230 and love it, but the tire clearance is minimal. I can run a 25 in the back but need a 23 in the front. Small rocks or even leaves get stuck between the fork and tire and can bring you to a quick halt.
Likes For bblair:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.