Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bummed about knee pain

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bummed about knee pain

Old 04-21-22, 07:50 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Bummed about knee pain

Been riding almost 50 years. And although I sort of remember having sore knees way back when, none for decades. Seriously...decades. No change in seat height, cleats or anything for 5 years.

Then yesterday....have been off the bike for 2 weeks, but a decent base so far...out of nowhere, 25 miles in, my left knee hurts like hell! On the outside, towards the bottom. This was not a race or mountain assault. A fairly leisurely jaunt in 55º sun.

Doing the ice, rest and hops and barley rehydration therapy along with some advil. Just bummed because this weekend it is going to be 80º. (I'll probably ride anyway, or at least try.)

Damn, you turn 65 and everything falls apart.
Old 04-21-22, 07:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
You mean it gets worse! I'm looking at 65 in 11 months. <grin>

Hope the best for your knee.

I'm still wondering what they meant by old age being the golden years. I guess they meant you have to have a lot of gold to pay for medical expenses.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-21-22, 08:00 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Very unfortunate. Did you climb more (even if not aggressively) than normal? That might do it.

Best regards for a quick return to form.
Old 04-21-22, 08:03 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
You may want to have an orthopedic guy check that out before pushing it again. If you partially tore something in there, and don't give it time to heal properly, well, let's just say things can go SNAP inside, which can lead to some rather unpleasant surgical solutions, and a much longer recovery time.
Don't ask how I know this.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-21-22, 08:42 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Originally Posted by Tony Marley
Very unfortunate. Did you climb more (even if not aggressively) than normal? That might do it.

Best regards for a quick return to form.
No, actually took it fairly easy, since I had been off the bike for a few weeks. 50 miles, 2300 ft of climbing. Nothing quad-busting.

It didn't appear on a climb or a sprint or when starting off cold. Just....appeared out of no where. And hurt all night.

So, ice and rest today. A good excuse for avoiding yard work and dog walking.
Old 04-21-22, 08:43 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I'm also getting up in age (57) and I use to have a really bad right knees years ago in my 30's, which I first noticed on my first 1,500-mile bike tour. A doctor told me I'd eventually have to get surgery. I've yet to have surgery and instead got into weightlifting to strengthen the knee. I still have issues, but my issues come from doing stupid things, i.e. overdoing it. And when I do, I keep looking for exercises to help rehab my knees. However, the foundation are squats and deadlifts. Doing high reps with light weights are good for building a foundation, but if you want knees of steel you need to work towards heavy weights. This helps to balance out the strength of all muscle groups, that one activity cannot, such as cycling or running....

Some good resources, but many others available.

Good 3-minute introduction to importance of strength training

Myth busting that so many repeat about us old guys lifting weights.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 04-21-22, 09:05 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 1,935 Times in 1,381 Posts
Pretty sure this is a stretching issue, IOW you need to stretch. Needing to stretch increases with age. That's simple, no problem. Just need a routine to do every morning. I had the same thing happen many years ago, had to pedal the rest of the way one-legged. Stretching fixed me right up, never happened again. See: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post15372967
I did stretch like this 3X day for a few days.
Old 04-21-22, 09:08 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My knees get a little sore now in cooler temperatures unless I keep my legs covered. I used to ride in shorts at 60F and above. Now, it is 68F and above. It also takes me a lot longer to warm up.

I wonder if others have similar experience?
Old 04-21-22, 10:34 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
At 73 I get about 10 miles than have to stop and stretch for a minute due to pain in the knees. After a couple of toe touches I'm good to go for the rest of the day with little to no pain. Didn't need to stretch at all until I was in my late 60's. Everyone is different. Hopefully your's is nothing serious either. Get it checked out for peace of mind or find what works for you. Good luck,
Old 04-21-22, 10:34 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Five year ago I had total knee replacement on one knee because of cartilage loss. That knee is now my "good" and gives me no trouble when hiking, skiing, and cycling. Recently the other knee began to ache. X-rays and doctor's exam revealed minimum cartilage loss but some arthritis. No surgery is imminent, but the pain persists. Cortisone injections and ibuprofen work well. There is nothing else unless I have the knee replaced. All this is a result of age. I'm 74. Fortunately, the pain occurs at night while in bed and around the house when I am just sitting around. On the bike, the skis, or on the trail, little or no pain or discomfort. It's just the way the arthritis is affecting my knee. You would be wise to see a doctor.
Old 04-21-22, 10:53 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
A nasty, almost bone-on-bone pain in my left knee started up about a month ago. I suspect that it was a consequence of using the smart trainer over the winter while ignoring a slightly misaligned cleat on one of my shoes.

Honestly, it never occurred to me to ice it or stretch or see a doctor. Now, after a few 12-to-18-hour weeks of road riding, mostly on my track bike, grinding through the hills of Baltimore County, the pain is pretty much gone.

At 70, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to depend on my natural capacity for healing, but so far, so good. I suspect that many people around my age who are comparably physically active would heal just as fast without stretching. Guess we'll never know, since if stretching has been working, it makes sense to keep doing so.

Last edited by Trakhak; 04-21-22 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-21-22, 11:03 AM
bblair

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Pretty sure this is a stretching issue, IOW you need to stretch. Needing to stretch increases with age. That's simple, no problem. Just need a routine to do every morning. I had the same thing happen many years ago, had to pedal the rest of the way one-legged. Stretching fixed me right up, never happened again. See: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post15372967
I did stretch like this 3X day for a few days.
Been doing those stretches for a couple of years, because of my sciatica. But I could do better, no doubt.

Keeping with the ice/advil/rest for a while and see if it resolve. Hoping it was just an overuse issue due to time off the bike.

Never had it before, but then again, I've never been 65 yrs old before.
Old 04-21-22, 11:06 AM
work4bike

I do believe stretching is very important, especially as we age. I do full body stretches after every gym workout, cycling and running. A fun little test of flexibility is to try and do the Asian Squat. I first tried it when I started doing Ass-to-Grass (ATG) squats, instead of just going down to parallel.

See how far you can go...note your feet have to stay completely flat, as opposed to resting on the balls of your feet. I could not do it when I first tried it, let alone do it with weight on my back, but the body adapts quickly by just doing a little at a time. The secret is NOT doing a lot, rather just doing it consistently.

My next goal is to be able to do the Kazotsky Kick. That might take a while though....

Likes For work4bike:
Old 04-21-22, 11:20 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Just tried the Asian squat per the video in the post above. No problem doing it. I don't stretch or lift weights, though, just ride my bike, and I'm pretty light at 5' 8" and 115 lbs.
Old 04-21-22, 11:34 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Been doing those stretches for a couple of years, because of my sciatica. But I could do better, no doubt.

Keeping with the ice/advil/rest for a while and see if it resolve. Hoping it was just an overuse issue due to time off the bike.

Never had it before, but then again, I've never been 65 yrs old before.
It's the lateral knee stretches, like the figure 4 and hurdlers' stretches that help the most. There's a good chance that you had an inflamed bursa caused by a too-tight tendon. That should resolve quickly and be OK by Sunday.
Old 04-21-22, 01:00 PM
bblair

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It's the lateral knee stretches, like the figure 4 and hurdlers' stretches that help the most. There's a good chance that you had an inflamed bursa caused by a too-tight tendon. That should resolve quickly and be OK by Sunday.
Great! So Saturday's ride will be a little sore, but Sunday perfect!

It does feel much better today, and I picked up a knee brace at the drug store. And stretched this morning too. Thanks.
Old 04-22-22, 06:41 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Been riding almost 50 years. And although I sort of remember having sore knees way back when, none for decades. Seriously...decades. No change in seat height, cleats or anything for 5 years.

Then yesterday....have been off the bike for 2 weeks, but a decent base so far...out of nowhere, 25 miles in, my left knee hurts like hell! On the outside, towards the bottom. This was not a race or mountain assault. A fairly leisurely jaunt in 55º sun.

Doing the ice, rest and hops and barley rehydration therapy along with some advil. Just bummed because this weekend it is going to be 80º. (I'll probably ride anyway, or at least try.)

Just developed same problem and ride coming up on Sunday. Had been off our tandem for three months due to fractured pelvis and had been riding gently with e-assist for a few weeks. I’m 81! Will try foam roller. Don’t despair at your age!
Old 04-22-22, 07:05 AM
bblair

Originally Posted by Artmo
Just developed same problem and ride coming up on Sunday. Had been off our tandem for three months due to fractured pelvis and had been riding gently with e-assist for a few weeks. I’m 81! Will try foam roller. Don’t despair at your age!
The Mrs. and I are going to ride our tandem Sunday too. Only second time out for her, as she is a Goldilocks Rider. Not too cold, not too hot, not too early........you know the deal. We can leave from our house and do a 30 miler with coffee and cake half way.
Old 04-22-22, 09:32 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8258 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
I've had a little trouble with the IT band causing sharp pain on the outside of the right knee. I found that pressing on the band above the knee fixes it right up. Push hard with the thumb or I have a plastic ball massager that I run down the band, (outside of thigh. low spot between muscles).
Old 04-22-22, 10:43 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
The Mrs. and I are going to ride our tandem Sunday too. Only second time out for her, as she is a Goldilocks Rider. Not too cold, not too hot, not too early........you know the deal. We can leave from our house and do a 30 miler with coffee and cake half way.
That’s the way to do it!
Old 04-22-22, 11:04 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

That's fun! A section of our riding group is called Goldilocks - not too hard, not too easy. We also have Rabbit, Laugher, and Slacker groups. Thus Goldilocks is between Rabbit and Laugher.

I posted a ride last Sunday which had over 100'/mile of steep, short climbs for the first 10 miles or so.. Our tandem had a hard time with that, and my dear Stoker had sore tendons the next few days - the outer (lateral) hamstring tendons (biceps femoris), both legs. Never heard of that before. We've been doing a mix of easy spinning and strength work with them, is working. Should be OK for this Sunday (we hope). Besides hoping, this Sunday's route has easier climbs. We ride with Goldilocks on routes with lower gradients, Laugher on the steeper routes.
Old 04-23-22, 06:00 AM
work4bike

VMO squat progression -- start out small....

Old 04-23-22, 08:23 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I'm also getting up in age (57) and I use to have a really bad right knees years ago in my 30's, which I first noticed on my first 1,500-mile bike tour. A doctor told me I'd eventually have to get surgery. I've yet to have surgery and instead got into weightlifting to strengthen the knee. I still have issues, but my issues come from doing stupid things, i.e. overdoing it. And when I do, I keep looking for exercises to help rehab my knees. However, the foundation are squats and deadlifts. Doing high reps with light weights are good for building a foundation, but if you want knees of steel you need to work towards heavy weights. This helps to balance out the strength of all muscle groups, that one activity cannot, such as cycling or running....

Some good resources, but many others available.

Good 3-minute introduction to importance of strength training

https://youtu.be/5DDGOXkpZxI

Myth busting that so many repeat about us old guys lifting weights.

https://youtu.be/uo6pERdCRjo
Stronger support muscles is less stress on the joints and hopefully less damage to the ligaments
Old 04-23-22, 03:28 PM
bblair

Here is an update: Since Wednesday, I have been doing a lot of stretching, ice, Advil and mostly resting. Can't keep on the Advil long term as it upsets my stomach.

Today (Saturday): rode 57 miles, 4000 ft of climbing. Not hard, but decent pace. Wore a knee strap brace, drank 2 bottles of Perpetuem and one of Gatorade as it was 85º at the end.

Knee: perfect! No twinges or pains at all. I wish I knew what happened earlier, but I think I am back in business.

I'll continue with the stretching and thanks to all who offered advice. Ride On!
Likes For bblair:
Old 04-23-22, 06:16 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
FWIW, I had knee pain developing late late year. I eventually went to PT and we started working on the various supporting structures; hips, glutes, etc. which I had never done. I was plenty strong in the quads and hams.
Four times a week I am doing some version of squats or clamshells or steps ups. I believe these have made a difference for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.