Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

THOMSON X2 Stem Screw Removal

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 05:30 PM
Ce3308

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone 1. Give some advice on removing a stripped/almost stripped screw on the front of a THOMSON x2 stem?

I also don’t want to damage the 2nd screw so also wanted to know if anyone knows what direction I should be turning to loosen the bolt. Counter-clockwise?
Old 08-16-22, 07:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Make sure you are using the correct size hex wrench of high quality and it is properly seated in the bolt and when you do replace it make sure you are using the correct torque for the bolt, don't exceed it or go under it and again make sure you are using a high quality hex bit. Your most used tools should be of the absolute highest quality especially if you are spending money on high quality parts.
Old 08-16-22, 07:44 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
To answer your second question first, it is definitely a left handed thread, so yes, you loosen it CCW. As to the first question, the best way to start IMO is to use an impact wrench. If that doesn't work, then try an easy-out, which will destroy the screw, but should remove it. Also, apply some WD 40 or other solvent to the screw to reduce the torque needed to loosen it as much as possible.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 08-17-22, 06:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
+1 on impact wrenches. They work quite nicely on really stuck bolts. We came across one at the shop on the tech had broken 2 or 3 T25 wrenches and I said well try an impact gun and it was off in a second nothing damaged.
Old 08-21-22, 11:39 AM
TurboTrueno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Yep impact drivers are great. You can get the manual kind that you bump with a hammer if you don't have a power/air one

I could recommend some "grip paste" also. Can't think of the exact name I used right now, been a couple years since I used it. Googling "grip paste stripped screw" brings up a few options

Also dumb suggestion but make sure you use metric allen keys, not the imperial/inch ones

at work we just weld on to it, drill it out, or grind a slot for a flathead, but i wouldn't want to do any of those near my bicycle lol
Old 08-21-22, 07:57 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
If it's that tight I'd be concerned the faceplate was cracked... Those X2s don't like to be over torqued
Old 08-23-22, 09:27 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
A few things...

It's definitely counter-clockwise to loosen these screws.

The grippy, gritty stuff is called valve grinding compound. You probably don't want to buy even smallest available quantity of this stuff for one screw, but there are more widely available alternatives, like carbon assembly paste, maybe some kind of abrasive bathroom cleaner, anything with some grit to it that will stay in place long enough to get your tool in there.

I have a Thomson X2 that was really hard to torque tight enough to keep my bar from slipping. The faceplate doesn't appear to be cracked or stretched, but I never could get it to work. I replaced it with a cheaper four-bolt stem and it's the best thing I've ever done for that bike.