Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

🙌🙌Would you like to build your own bike or buy a completed-bike absolutely?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 09:56 PM
liv211

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

As for me, I always prefer to assemble my own bikes, as buying a complete bike is likely to involve low-end components.
How about you? Waiting for some helpful suggestions....thanks in advance

Old 08-16-22, 10:34 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Yes.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-17-22, 09:42 AM
J_Chickles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by liv211
As for me, I always prefer to assemble my own bikes, as buying a complete bike is likely to involve low-end components.
How about you? Waiting for some helpful suggestions....thanks in advance

Its more cost effective in most cases to buy one complete

Youd have a hard time duplicating the bike below for $7500 on your own

Uncaged 7 | Izzo | Bikes | Products | YT US (yt-industries.com)

However, even though that YT is a screaming bargain, - $7500 is still a big nut for a lot of people , so in that case, it may be worthwhile to purchase a lesser model and then keep an eye out for a deal on some good wheels or something. Everything with a bike is pretty transparent and out in the open now -- its hard to slip in cheap bottom brackets and headsets to cut costs - but house brand cockpit components are pretty common at the low to midrange level - but those are the types of things you can upgrade later. Kona, Specialized, Trek, etc. all get better deals on components than we do.

That said - i did my last bike the "one piece at a time" way when the Pro's Closet had a nice set of new Enve wheels for $1800 and i found a demo frameset that i paid 2k for that would have normally retailed for 3500
Old 08-17-22, 06:41 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You can't beat the price of pre built bikes. You can get whatever level components you think you need. I've been riding a long time and you don't need what you think you do.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 08-18-22, 08:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Most of my bikes are built from the frame up, way more expensive but I get what I want on it or as close as care to get. If you aren't particular about parts then a prebuilt bike will save you money potentially. If you spend the right amount you can generally get a good bike but it all depends on your needs.
Old 08-19-22, 11:59 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Build a bike up from scratch. Once you churn through enough, it's like Lego's for adults. You can have any bike you want for the cost of cables.
Old 08-20-22, 05:22 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
I prefer to build my bikes from the frame up but I have the tools, knowledge and experience to do so.
It is not easy, especially without the proper tools, and I've had to repair the mess from others who say "it's only a bike, how hard can it be"...
Old 08-20-22, 08:47 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I usually build my own bikes. This involves a smattering of parts i already have, a couple good deals on used gear, and a few more items found on sale. It works and is pretty fun to do.

On my mountain bike, I literally had no spare parts and my time to hunt down parts was extremely limited. I bought a brand new complete bike, Black Friday, pre-sale, and got a sweet ride for about price the frame, fork, and wheels would have cost. It was enough that I’ll probably never build a high end bike again.

FWIW, after 6 months of hammering it, the only thing I have changed is the grips and headset cap, because I wanted to go Rasta. On my other bikes, I spend half my time thinking about my next upgrade.
Old 08-20-22, 09:25 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Like rosefarts, if I have certain parts, I will build from frame. Even if I have to buy most stuff I will still build when its cost effective. I did a build from a Chinese carbon frame, that only cost $360, 105 parts were maybe another $400, wheels $450. I ended up with a 17 lb carbon bike for less then what I could have purchased new and complete, of course you place your faith in a no name frame. It has, as BTW lasted 6 years and over 7,000 miles. My gravel, HT and FS were all production bikes though as it was more cost effective that way.
Old 08-21-22, 04:04 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I built all my bike from the frame.