Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Thank you!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-22, 06:29 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Thank you!

Hey…some out of the blue recognition is due! Probably stated before (my bad, I did not search).

There are quite a few people on this forum that give knowledgeable advice on every type/aspect of bicycles. It was amazing to see the explosion of threads during covid. They are people with bike shops (past or present) or with years of experience gained at home while fussing with their bikes. They offer this advice freely with only the hope that you use it as best you can. Why do they bother to do this? There are perhaps many reasons, but as best as I can figure, they love the idea that people are moving around on a mechanical device that is an amazing extension of the human body and they wish to help others to get around this world in a similar fashion. Thanks for your help.
Likes For IPassGas:
Old 09-27-22, 06:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
...you're welcome. But honestly, I only post mechanical advice here because they pay me.
Old 09-27-22, 07:59 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
I knew three people were paid.
I wonder who the other one is ?

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 09-27-22, 10:12 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...you're welcome. But honestly, I only post mechanical advice here because they pay me.
In Fiat money?
Oops wrong sub forum
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-28-22, 08:06 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Careful here. Remember the early AOL/Compuserve days, when a few A-holes tried to sue both the services and other people who posted advice because it didn't work for them? IIRC they claimed that they were paying AOL or Compuserve for service, and if someone else (like moderators) got free service, they were effectively paid employees and therefore liable. Of course it couldn't happen now that all lawyers are fine, upstanding, honest, forthright, decent people...

But seriously, let me add my thanks to the knowledgeable folks who contribute here.
Old 09-28-22, 09:00 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Careful here. Remember the early AOL/Compuserve days, when a few A-holes tried to sue both the services and other people who posted advice because it didn't work for them? IIRC they claimed that they were paying AOL or Compuserve for service, and if someone else (like moderators) got free service, they were effectively paid employees and therefore liable. Of course it couldn't happen now that all lawyers are fine, upstanding, honest, forthright, decent people...

...believe it or not, this has already happened to me on teh Beikforums. There was some guy who got irritated with me in some thread, long ago, who threatened to report me and my bike co-op to the IRS, because he was convinced we were compensated employees, masquerading as an all volunteer organization. Not making this up. I think he finally managed to get himself banned. But he was definitely into drama. Once you realize how genuinely nuts people can get here, it makes it difficult to stay away.
Old 09-29-22, 07:00 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Once you realize how genuinely nuts people can get here, it makes it difficult to stay away.
That's only part of why I love this place. 😁😉