Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What IS IT About The Surly Cross-Check?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What IS IT About The Surly Cross-Check?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-14, 12:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The TIG welders in Taiwan are good at their job And,. since they work for less , more companies want to sell bike frames that cost less to Make
by Hiring them thru the contract Manufacturer that makes Frames for Surly and many other Brands ..

the rest is Marketing, lots of it for free, on this forum.
Old 10-25-14, 01:32 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
No wonder they can't get women to buy their stuff. The colors are pretty dumb.
Gotta disagree with that. On the Cross Check alone, I can think of three recent colors that we've had very strong sales with in our shop, particularly with women customers. Robin's Egg Blue, Hospital Foam Green (how's that for a name?), and the new Dream Tangerine. FWIW, all of these colors look a lot better in person than they do on a computer screen IMO. I'm usually not impressed with their colors when I first see them online.

Last edited by well biked; 10-25-14 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-25-14, 01:53 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by headloss
Even if I wanted a race bike, I'd buy a CAAD or something, so metal for me.
Two of my cf bikes are city bikes with clearance for 37 inch tires and fender+rack eyelets.
Old 10-25-14, 04:01 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Can anybody tell me what makes a Surly Cross-Check something so many people are drooling over?
I have never seen anyone drool over a SCC... they are sensible bikes appreciated by sensible people looking for a sensible price.
Old 10-25-14, 04:12 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 5,508 Times in 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I own a Soma doublecross which is a pretty similar bike. The tubing set is I think a little nice (prestige main tubes) than the surly cross-check. It's the most versatile bike I own. I run it with good quality 700 x 32 c tire and as a triple. The bike is comfortable for all day riding over almost any type of terrain. It is simply a solid high quality bike.
When I was looking for a cross frame, I chose the Soma Double Cross over the Surly, because the Soma has vertical dropouts, versus the Surly's *********!!! semi-horizontal dropouts.
Old 10-25-14, 04:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
When I was looking for a cross frame, I chose the Soma Double Cross over the Surly, because the Soma has vertical dropouts, versus the Surly's *********!!! semi-horizontal dropouts.
Nothing is perfect. Some people like to put fixed gears or IGHs on their bikes, for which vertical dropouts are ill-suited.

@well biked, I'm glad they've chosen more popular colors now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-25-14, 05:33 PM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I like mine a lot. If you're looking for a steel frameset with good tire clearance and rack and fender mounts, you don't have a lot of cheaper choices. Possibly the Fyxation Quiver, but I think that's about it. So in that sense it's more like the budget option than the dream of dreams.
Old 10-25-14, 07:20 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
Gotta disagree with that. On the Cross Check alone, I can think of three recent colors that we've had very strong sales with in our shop, particularly with women customers. Robin's Egg Blue, Hospital Foam Green (how's that for a name?), and the new Dream Tangerine. FWIW, all of these colors look a lot better in person than they do on a computer screen IMO. I'm usually not impressed with their colors when I first see them online.
at at first I didn't think I would like the green, but I really dig it. The bike shop doesn't even stock the black version, they said they never sell them. I can't wait to see the orange one in the shop.
Old 10-25-14, 07:31 PM
well biked

Originally Posted by the sci guy
at at first I didn't think I would like the green, but I really dig it. The bike shop doesn't even stock the black version, they said they never sell them. I can't wait to see the orange one in the shop.
I agree, when I saw the "hospital foam" green online, I couldn't believe they would offer such a lame color.....Then I saw it in person, and it really pops. Complete home run. Much brighter than expected.

FWIW, my all-time favorite Cross Check color is "beef gravy brown" from a few years ago. That was a color that had very mixed reviews in our shop.....but I really like it.

P.S. The new orange, "dream tangerine," is a great color, too, IMO. Everyone says it reminds them of an orange creamsicle.

Last edited by well biked; 10-25-14 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-25-14, 07:52 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Saving Hawaii
I didn't see this already but Surly is probably the largest brand pushing steel frames. Trek does their 520 and so on but it's pretty much an afterthought for the bigger retailers. There are certainly other manufacturers that do steel (All City, Jamis, etc) but they at least seem smaller to me. Not as big where I live for sure. Maybe Kona is an exception for a bigger brand that tries hard with steel, but they're also pretty dang popular. Anyway, the Cross Czech is a grumpy fellow that meets a lot of comfort, stability, aesthetic and utility needs that bigger brands don't even bother to attempt. Plenty of other bikes do the same thing but mostly from even lesser brands. Top that off with Surly's strong marketing department and you've got a dime a dozen bike.
Raleigh is pretty big and does steel. I want a tamland pretty badly.
Old 10-25-14, 08:10 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I have never seen anyone drool over a SCC... they are sensible bikes appreciated by sensible people looking for a sensible price.
I guess that's what has me puzzled. I get the "sensible bikes" and "sensible people" part, but how is $1,200 a "sensible price?"

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but the GT Outpost I bought in 1996 for $300 got me through 4-5 years of almost daily mountain biking, has taken me over hundreds or thousands of miles of road all over the country, and still gets me to and from work safely several days a week, eighteen years later. I haven't priced bikes lately, but I estimate that this bike (or its equivalent) would be about $500 now.

The first thing many NY City bicycle commuters do is deface their rides to lessen their appeal to thieves. Others just ride clunkers to avoid having to worry. So why would a commuter ride a $1,200 bike to work? I'm not trying to be a smart-*ss. The investigative side of me just wants to know!
Old 10-25-14, 08:48 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

To be fair, I don't commute on my CC, I rebuilt a single speed Raleigh from the 80's to commute on. I use he CC for recreation and event rides. I also don't live in NYC, so I don't have to worry as much about bike theft, though it is kind of rampant in Houston. But my bike at work is locked in a garage that requires an ID card to get into. Even so, I'm not sure I would ride it to work being such and expensive bike. Though I do lock up next to a Scott MTB, a Domane, and an S-Works Rockhopper.
Old 10-25-14, 08:59 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess that's what has me puzzled. I get the "sensible bikes" and "sensible people" part, but how is $1,200 a "sensible price?"

The first thing many NY City bicycle commuters do is
No. I don't consider it sensible. I always try to buy used which is why my commuter is a Trek 520. It is a reasonable price though, for say a mostly 105 group. If you want bottom shelf components on a steel frame, Jamis makes mores sense.

Lots of commuters out there that aren't in NYC. If I got to a point where I needed to deface a bike for security, I'd be ordering from Nashbar or BD. I used a beat up Kona hybrid while living in Chicago and Seattle.

Last edited by headloss; 10-25-14 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-25-14, 10:13 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interestingly, the new CC seems to have linear brakes.
Old 10-25-14, 10:32 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a $200 modified mtb for my commuter. The Soma is my toy. It cost more like $2000 to build with the specs I wanted. Sure, its not cheap but compared to what you could pay for a bike its not bad. I also know I'm running quality parts I can trust in the middle of nowhere. Now that mtb... I wouldn't ride it more than 60km away from a source of replacement parts.
Old 10-25-14, 11:34 PM
OneLessFixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist

The Motobecane Fantom CXX was clearly designed to compete with the Cross Check, but I think it's a better bike at 2/3rds the cost. I test-road the Cross Check and liked it, but decided to take a chance on the Fantom CXX, and that was the right choice for me: Save up to 60% off new Cyclocross Road Bikes - Motobecane Fantom CX Clearance
More like half the cost considering the crazy expensive Seattle LBS prices. And you get SRAM Apex (if it's good enough for Alberto Contador, it's good enough for you) brifters instead of the cheesey barends that the Cross Check comes with. I did the same thing and spent the money I saved on VO fenders, a Busch & Müller dynamo light system, a rack and a fitting with a doctorate-level physical therapist.
Old 10-26-14, 10:35 AM
well biked

Originally Posted by treadtread
Interestingly, the new CC seems to have linear brakes.
Yes, linear pull brakes in place of cantilevers, appropriate brake levers for the different brakes, a ten speed cassette instead of nine speed, 700 x 41c Knard tires, these are now stock items on the complete Cross Check, the color on this newest version is Dream Tangerine.
Old 10-26-14, 10:44 AM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I commute on mine every day, and it's pretty beaten up. I do bring it inside during the work day though. the frameset only costs about $450, so the other $800 just reflects the quality of components they've built the stock bike with.
Old 10-26-14, 10:44 AM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but the GT Outpost I bought in 1996 for $300 got me through 4-5 years of almost daily mountain biking, has taken me over hundreds or thousands of miles of road all over the country, and still gets me to and from work safely several days a week, eighteen years later. I haven't priced bikes lately, but I estimate that this bike (or its equivalent) would be about $500 now.

The first thing many NY City bicycle commuters do is deface their rides to lessen their appeal to thieves. Others just ride clunkers to avoid having to worry. So why would a commuter ride a $1,200 bike to work? I'm not trying to be a smart-*ss. The investigative side of me just wants to know!
I have to agree. I think its a cool bike but a little pricy for what it is. Bottom line, Surly's done a good job of identifying their customer base and marking their brand. If they can charge a little more,, why wouldn't they? It's a business.
Old 10-26-14, 04:24 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by well biked
Yes, linear pull brakes in place of cantilevers, appropriate brake levers for the different brakes, a ten speed cassette instead of nine speed, 700 x 41c Knard tires, these are now stock items on the complete Cross Check, the color on this newest version is Dream Tangerine.
yeah why all the changes? can't believe how much larger tires now. mine came with 32s
Old 10-26-14, 04:45 PM
well biked

Originally Posted by the sci guy
yeah why all the changes? can't believe how much larger tires now. mine came with 32s
I think the 10 speed thing is just to keep the bike fairly current (after all, higher end road stuff is now 11 speed), linear pulls are generally more trouble free than canti's for most people....as for the big ol' Knards, who knows, Surly does a lot of things that aren't necessarily normal. I've test ridden the tires, they are a lot of fun hopping over stuff and playing around on the bike, would be good for rough dirt roads, maybe some snow riding, even cyclocross in some conditions. Tires are easy to change, of course.
Old 10-26-14, 05:46 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
So why would a commuter ride a $1,200 bike to work? I'm not trying to be a smart-*ss. The investigative side of me just wants to know!
My commuters go in my office or in an electronic key-card bike storage area. I could also use the full-service bike valet but I prefer riding up the hill to work.
Old 10-26-14, 06:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts

Nowadays, $500 is about the least you can spend for a minimally good quality bike-shop bike (with a few possible exceptions). $1,000 is what I would consider a mid-priced bike or maybe even $1,500. I'd say your perspective is a little off, and your own bike might actually be a $600 bike. Sure you get a better value when you spend less, but $1,200 is not where the price-performance curve bends sharply. I'd say that happens above $1,500 or $2,000. If you think it's reasonable for people to buy cars like a Honda Accord, then it's reasonable for some people to buy a Cross Check or something else in the $1,200 range. It's not super expensive compared with the spectrum of bikes.

So in my view, it's not an amazingly great bike, nor is it a rip-off in any way. It's a solid value. As I said before, it's not my taste because I prefer bikes that are a little lighter, and many bikes at that price point are lighter. But it accomplishes what it sets out to be, a solid, reliable bike, probable to last a lifetime. The design is smart, too, as it aims to be versatile.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-26-14, 06:23 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The TIG welders in Taiwan are good at their job And,. since they work for less , more companies want to sell bike frames that cost less to Make
by Hiring them thru the contract Manufacturer that makes Frames for Surly and many other Brands ..

the rest is Marketing, lots of it for free, on this forum.
Can you re-word this or something? I can't make out what you're saying. I mean, I think I have an idea of what you're trying to say, but I can't be sure.
Old 10-26-14, 06:36 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
nm I figured it out. It was all the capitalization, it was ****ing with my eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.