Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Grizzly In Celeste

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-22, 09:24 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts

Picked this up at the thrift store yesterday for a few bag of nuts.......I actually find it comfortable, and the frame fits well. Road it almost as soon a I got it.

Old 10-21-22, 11:02 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Well, it's too small for me!!! 😟😉

That's a pretty good grab, Grizzly bikes are hard to find, and more so in Celeste.👍 There seem to be several red ones floating around, here & there, but who wants a red Bianchi? 🙄😁
Old 10-21-22, 11:25 AM
dpd3672

Bikes: 02 Cervelo P2K, 07 Cervelo P2SL, 07 Cervelo Soloist, 09 Cervelo RS, 96 Quintana Roo Kilo, 80 Chicago Schwinn Letour, 12 Motobecane Nemesis, 97 Kona AA, 97 Cannondale f700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Pretty bike. I have one (in purple) I bought impulsively at a garage sale. I don't ride it often (I'm more of a road rider than a MTB rider, and when I do, I prefer different bikes), but it's very comfortable to ride.

I'd much prefer it in Celeste, however, you did well there.
Old 10-21-22, 11:38 AM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Cool to see this popping up more! Here's my Super Grizzly. Yep, full Campy gruppo, down to headset and wheels. Has road tires, have done a few miles on MUPs. Rides great.

Cool to see this popping up more! Here's my Super Grizzly.

Last edited by look566 rider; 10-21-22 at 11:50 AM.
Likes For look566 rider:
Old 10-21-22, 12:54 PM
StarBiker

^
I like that paint much more.....now only if I could find that for $32...okay, $40.....

Wheels look more like 700C, and you don't have that screwy U-Brake.

But for what I paid and the bike needs nothing........another seat in the near future.

I think I am going to pull the Yellow Selle SMP Extra off my Cannondale F700. Need a white seat. (I have the standard Selle TRK in white, not enough padding for distance)

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-21-22 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-21-22, 12:58 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
That is in amazing condition. Congrats on the sweet score! It honestly looks like this doesn't fit you that well, but if you feel like it works with the stem and saddle raised like and they aren't past their minimum insertion mark then more power to you. Make sure you grease the hubs, bottom bracket and headset. The grease will be pretty dry by now.
Old 10-21-22, 01:02 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by tricky
That is in amazing condition. Congrats on the sweet score! It honestly looks like this doesn't fit you that well, but if you feel like it works with the stem and saddle raised like and they aren't past their minimum insertion mark then more power to you. Make sure you grease the hubs, bottom bracket and headset. The grease will be pretty dry by now.
That's how I found it.

Me thinks that person that dumped it was to tall for it. I am 5'9" and the frame is either 17.5, or 18 Inches. Works fine.

I hate leaning. Can't stand drops! So it worked out.
Old 10-21-22, 01:11 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts
lovely - I picked up an IMPACT off of FB locally a few years ago. Since I got no respect, I rattle canned it "Pontiac Blue" with some attempts at color fades. Most likely I'll take it back to celeste (or as close as Spray.Bike can get me...) after my son is done riding it around Detroit. .... he better be riding it, I've 'loaned' ti too him for riding....

clears a 2in tire - mos' def' trail fun
Old 10-21-22, 01:11 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
That's how I found it.

Me thinks that person that dumped it was to tall for it. I am 5'9" and the frame is either 17.5, or 18 Inches. Works fine.

I hate leaning. Can't stand drops! So it worked out.
Roger. Sounds like the post and stem are back to normal heights and that this is a great fit for your preferred bike position. I say post another picture with the current configuration. Ya know, for posterity sake. Btw, how are the tires? The ones in the pic look fairly fresh.
Old 10-21-22, 01:32 PM
StarBiker

I took a couple quick picks, I will take some better ones. Yeah, the Nimbus Specialized are almost perfect..

The only thing the bike needs is a better seat, although that ancient Serfas isn't uncomfortable, it's to small, and wouldn't be worth a damn for distance.

I almost missed this bike flapping my gums to somebody about something instead of paying attention, and looking. Duh.
Old 10-21-22, 04:42 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
That is a great find in Celeste, I have a Sika in that colour.
Old 10-21-22, 05:02 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Sweet bike!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-23-22, 06:21 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by tricky
Roger. Sounds like the post and stem are back to normal heights and that this is a great fit for your preferred bike position. I say post another picture with the current configuration. Ya know, for posterity sake. Btw, how are the tires? The ones in the pic look fairly fresh.
Okay a wet Sunday night

Likes For StarBiker:
Old 10-23-22, 07:26 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts
Really sweet bike. It's pure vanity but imo the front end would look cooler if you got to the same place with a forward stem and swept riser bars
Old 10-23-22, 07:34 PM
StarBiker

And that kind of vanity is what could hurt my upper back, and neck. I really find this set up comfortable. Lucky. I have not found a lug framed vintage MB in forever. Not in this condition, and size. (I passed on a poor paint condition 91' Trek Single Track the other day)

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-23-22 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-23-22, 07:36 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

And that kind of vanity is what hurts my upper back, and neck. I really find this set up comfortable. Lucky. I have not found a lug framed vintage MB in forever. Not in this condition, and size. (I passed on a poor paint condition 91' Trek Single Track the other day)
I mean you could have the grips in the same place but that looks cooler for no real reason and at expense. Absolutely ride the fit that is most comfortable for you.
Old 10-23-22, 07:38 PM
Soody

actually it might be more comfortable because you'd get more damping going forward and then back. Keep that setup if it works but maybe consider it if that adjustable stem starts to creak.
Old 10-23-22, 07:45 PM
StarBiker

I agree with what you are saying, but that stem is quite solid. It's a Zoom Stem.

I always dump the bar ends on bikes I find, but they work well on this bike, and I do use them. Only time I have ever done that in years of digging bikes up in these joints.

What I really need is another Selle SMP Extra Saddle in Celeste. I have a TRK, and a Yellow Extra. The TRK is to hard, and the Yellow is, well Yellow. I will pony up for a new seat soon. I might add the Yellow seat for now.

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-23-22 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-23-22, 07:45 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
I'm going to keep an eye out for a Bianchi MTN bike. I like those rear dropouts on 'em. Not a fan of the U-brake down there though. There is a way too small Project 5 hybrid here locally and astronomically priced to boot. Those are nice too it seems.

Did Bianchi ever make an old mountain bike with mid-fork blade mounts for a rack? I like those, along with double eyelets on the fork dropout.
Old 10-23-22, 08:05 PM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
I bought one of those new in the 80s and used it offroad and for loaded touring with slicks. It was a really good bike for the money, decent lugged frame and you gottalike the classic Bianchi color. It's not a Bianchi if it's not celeste!
Likes For robobike316:
Old 10-23-22, 08:10 PM
StarBiker

I like Look's bike above. The Super Grizzly, and the wheel size. 26 Inch wheels, and that odd U-brake are a bit of a turn off, but for what I paid? Good to go.

Bikes like this are much harder to find on the fly than a comparable vintage roadie.
Old 10-23-22, 09:27 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I like Look's bike above. The Super Grizzly, and the wheel size. 26 Inch wheels, and that odd U-brake are a bit of a turn off, but for what I paid? Good to go.

Bikes like this are much harder to find on the fly than a comparable vintage roadie.
Man, you even got that cool XT Shark Fin chainstay protector, and it looks like maybe an XT U-brake (?). Where it says Shark Tooth, isn't that part of the brake assembly? I'm just not familiar with XT U-brakes, "if" that's what it is. 🤔

When you have time, can you grab a bottom-view pic of that?

No matter what the U-brake is, that bike looks excellent. Congrats! 👍
Old 10-24-22, 06:09 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
If it's already been mentioned sorry to be repetitive - but If I'm not mistaken your under-stays brake makes it an '88. I had an '89 which had a canti in the rear and liked it a lot and could go on and on about it and how much I miss it and am sorry I sold it but we did go our separate ways a few years ago. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for making me think about my old Grizzly...

Likes For IAmSam:
Old 10-24-22, 06:36 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
A great find indeed, enjoy it. Last year someone near me was selling the same frame and in mint condition which he picked up at a bike show years ago and just held onto it. I was really excited about building it up as a nice gravel ride but the frame was too small and he was asking a lot more than a few bag of nuts.
Old 10-24-22, 09:05 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by IAmSam
If it's already been mentioned sorry to be repetitive - but If I'm not mistaken your under-stays brake makes it an '88. I had an '89 which had a canti in the rear and liked it a lot and could go on and on about it and how much I miss it and am sorry I sold it but we did go our separate ways a few years ago. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for making me think about my old Grizzly...

Okay, a bit of a ramble. I did the same thing with a perfect 91' Trek Multi Track in 2010. Paid $20 for it, barely road it, and sold it. Took 4 months of top posting on local CL to get decent money for it. (CL has sucked for years although I still can sell stuff on there)

I was flipping a few decent bikes a month between 2008, and late 2010. I think I made about 11K flipping bikes over the years.....

My needle was stuck (had a really good Denon TT find the day before the Grizzly bike find) on road bikes because they were what was selling. Stuff like the Multi Track didn't have the demand of Roadies and I was like I have to ride Roadies because of it.
It took me about 8 years to realize something like the Multi Track is what I need, not an uncomfortable vintage road bike. No matter how nice they look.
I have never found drop bars comfortable. I hate the damn things! I had a beautiful Trek 660 in Grey, with Blue Lettering that I road for two year and it killed my neck. Trek 1200, Dave Scott Centurion Ironman, Bianchi Eros Tron Decals, and they all were not that comfortable, besides the to small Eros which was okay. They were $20 each, and the 660 I had $140 in, usual consumables replaced.

Lesson learned, do what works for you, and don't follow the pack.
Likes For StarBiker: