Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finally got her home. Dave Moulton John Howard

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: What would be your priority to get it road ready?
Lubes and tubes
0%
Replace wearables
0%
Tear down and build back up
41.67%
Ride and decide
58.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-23, 08:09 PM
Jasongrace313

Bikes: 82 John Howard built by Dave Moulton, 06 Lemond Croix de Fer, 85 trek 620, Trek Fx 7.2, Giant escape 2, Gt Karakoram, Electra Townie 7D,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 34 Posts

It’s been hanging for many years, had a walnut stored in the front fork and a wasp nest in the saddle bag. Sorry for the poor photo but this is going to be the before picture.
Old 01-01-23, 08:20 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,111 Posts
The tear down and build back up option is likely the best. However I picked ride and decide because on nearly every bike I bring home, I air up the tires and take a spin around the block. From there they usually get a total tear down right away.

I think you could get away with the spin around the block. I'd wager with those pedals and the overall appearance, this bike was not ridded very hard.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-01-23, 08:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
Great score, big fan of Dave's, have 4 of his frames.

I would go with all of the above to make sure there are no life threatening factors and be sure it is all good to go.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-01-23, 10:55 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
While I would take it out for a short jaunt, if you want to keep those original components good for the long haul, I always tear them down before hard use because what you do not know might bite you later. Yeah, if you trash a bearing race, you can replace it, but it is getting harder to find good replacements, so.

Just me.
Likes For balindamood:
Old 01-01-23, 11:04 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
I never ride 'em first. They're often kludged in some way, the bearings are too tight and without lube, or may simply be unsafe.

Always a full overhaul/refurb ... especially with that sweet '80s Campy.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-01-23, 11:19 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Something's clearly wrong with the front shifter/derailleur.
But yeah... very pretty, congrats.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 01-02-23, 01:36 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
I would tear it down. When I bought my Cilo I was so damn excited to ride I didn't know that the bottom bracket was going to be a problem a really big problem. I don't know if that couple years I owned it before I did a teardown would have made a difference because I am guessing that the BB was seized already but I feel like dealing with it earlier would have been smarter and my old shop's mechanic when I bought it was much more equipped to handle it the shop I was at when I tore it down had some great mechanics but all of them younger and less experienced with an old 7400 BB and I was nervous about heavy chemicals so I didn't go for it. My next vintage bike I tore down as soon as I got it and aside from a seized post came apart nicely and I could clean and regrease everything!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-02-23, 04:19 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Great looking bike.. Love that original Chorus

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 01-02-23, 04:33 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 758 Posts
You might touch base with Dave Moulton. I believe he has a registry of some sort. You should be able to reach him through his blog:

Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog
Old 01-02-23, 11:17 AM
Jasongrace313

Bikes: 82 John Howard built by Dave Moulton, 06 Lemond Croix de Fer, 85 trek 620, Trek Fx 7.2, Giant escape 2, Gt Karakoram, Electra Townie 7D,

I have some experience, enough to be dangerous. Here's the thing, I've not had a fantastic experience with bike shops. Telling me things that aren't true and doing things I didn't ask done, in ways I asked them not to do. I feel like the only right way to do it all would be either find someone who'd appreciate the bike as much as I do to completely overhaul it or do it all myself, I think I'll do it myself.
Likes For Jasongrace313:
Old 01-02-23, 11:25 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,111 Posts
Jasongrace313 , It really isn't that hard, especially if you have the luxury of being able to take your time. Getting the right tools for the job are important IMHO and if you have questions about tools, disassembly or anything else, the C&V forum is as good if not better of place in most cases to get advice as a bike shop.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-02-23, 11:39 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,256 Times in 601 Posts
I voted "Ride and Decide" but I think we have the same definition. If they're ridable at all I'll take them for a quick lap around the parking lot down the block to try the shifters and brakes then straight home and up on the stand.
Old 01-02-23, 12:23 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
I often do a very short ride when I get a new old bike before tearing it down but yeah tearing it down as soon as possible is a good idea.

Very nice score. This bike is a keeper.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-02-23, 01:06 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 508 Posts
My normal procedure is to do the minimum amount of maintenance to do a test ride of 15-20 miles so I can get an assessment of what issues will need addressed. Then I'll take the bike down to the frame and clean and lube everything as I put it back together.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 01-02-23, 01:25 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasongrace313
I have some experience, enough to be dangerous. Here's the thing, I've not had a fantastic experience with bike shops. Telling me things that aren't true and doing things I didn't ask done, in ways I asked them not to do. I feel like the only right way to do it all would be either find someone who'd appreciate the bike as much as I do to completely overhaul it or do it all myself, I think I'll do it myself.
maybe someone can point you to a detroit area shop that is good with vintage bikes

other wise, if you are willing to do a modest investment in tools and take your time you could certainly handle doing an overhaul

park tool is a great reference place to start https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help

I also like the zinn book it covers vintage and modern https://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road.../dp/1934030988

this is what I would do (and others would chime in)

all new tubes, tires, brake pads (gp5000 and conti lite tubes, and kool stop salmon are favs)

all new brake and derailler cables and housings. get good quality

wheels off, rear freewheel cassete off, clean, grease (I like Phils water proof grease one tube will last years), put back together and adjust

Pull cranks off, clean, grease, and adjust bottom bracket

take seatpost out clean and grease

take stem out,
clean grease and adjust headset top and bottom

check wheels for true

clean chain, then relube (replace if won)

put it all back together and ride, adjust, smile a lot

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-02-23, 02:38 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,763 Posts
My friend John has the same bike in the same color. His has a lot of miles on it and still looks and rides great.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-02-23, 03:10 PM
Jasongrace313

Originally Posted by squirtdad
maybe someone can point you to a detroit area shop that is good with vintage bikes

other wise, if you are willing to do a modest investment in tools and take your time you could certainly handle doing an overhaul

park tool is a great reference place to start https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help

I also like the zinn book it covers vintage and modern https://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road.../dp/1934030988

this is what I would do (and others would chime in)

all new tubes, tires, brake pads (gp5000 and conti lite tubes, and kool stop salmon are favs)

all new brake and derailler cables and housings. get good quality

wheels off, rear freewheel cassete off, clean, grease (I like Phils water proof grease one tube will last years), put back together and adjust

Pull cranks off, clean, grease, and adjust bottom bracket

take seatpost out clean and grease

take stem out,
clean grease and adjust headset top and bottom

check wheels for true

clean chain, then relube (replace if won)

put it all back together and ride, adjust, smile a lot
I decided to toss another wheel set on and take it around the block(GP5S2x28mm’s), it’s super tight. Most of my bikes have a flex to them, this does not. I have a good amount of park tools gear and their big blue book, performance sports stand, etc.
I lubed the chain, that will be replaced asap. The rear wheel is a little out of true. I have a few wheel sets that will work with this until I can spend some attention on the hubs and spokes. There’s what looks like white lithium grease at the edge of the hub so I’m assuming they were serviced somewhat recently, or just truly never ridden since being serviced a decade ago.

One step at a time.
Likes For Jasongrace313:
Old 01-02-23, 03:20 PM
Jasongrace313

Originally Posted by cb400bill
My friend John has the same bike in the same color. His has a lot of miles on it and still looks and rides great.

I have seen your friends bike and for a moment thought it was the same one, even a similar saddle bag and pump. I love it, they really are treasures.
Likes For Jasongrace313:
Old 01-02-23, 03:41 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,763 Posts
I have seen your friends bike and for a moment thought it was the same one, even a similar saddle bag and pump. I love it, they really are treasures.
Where did you find yours?

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-02-23, 03:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
I decided to toss another wheel set on and take it around the block(GP5S2x28mm’s), it’s super tight. Most of my bikes have a flex to them, this does not. I have a good amount of park tools gear and their big blue book, performance sports stand, etc.
I lubed the chain, that will be replaced asap. The rear wheel is a little out of true. I have a few wheel sets that will work with this until I can spend some attention on the hubs and spokes. There’s what looks like white lithium grease at the edge of the hub so I’m assuming they were serviced somewhat recently, or just truly never ridden since being serviced a decade ago.

One step at a time.
great. Super tight but FUN?

on the side: I really really really dislike white lithium grease.... mainly because I have redone bikes where it has hardened up to painters caulk and was a pain to clean YGMV

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-02-23, 04:51 PM
Jasongrace313

Originally Posted by squirtdad
great. Super tight but FUN?

on the side: I really really really dislike white lithium grease.... mainly because I have redone bikes where it has hardened up to painters caulk and was a pain to clean YGMV
Super fun, well as fun as can be at low speed with crap pedals in a small neighborhood. My Lemond is luxurious in comparison, this feels much more “precision sport”. Where that flexes and has me drawn out this has a low and tight cockpit with what feels like little to no give. Super responsive but I wouldn’t say twitchy, some bikes leave you with a feeling of uncertainty and slight imbalance like you’re walking on your tip toes, this has a well planted feel where every move is incredibly well articulated.
The only way to get to know a bike is go over 20miles though, that’s where I figure stuff out anyway. I get a cramp in my shoulder on the Lemond after 40, but that test won’t be until after it’s been thoroughly examined. There’s been no red flags yet.🤞🏻
Likes For Jasongrace313:
Old 01-02-23, 06:56 PM
Jasongrace313

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Where did you find yours?
Metro Detroit, I went to pick up a trainer and some odds and ends and it was hanging from the rafters of a garage. Just lucky
Likes For Jasongrace313:
Old 01-03-23, 11:29 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 132 Posts
I vote Ride & Decide, assuming that you're going to go through it first for obvious problems and adjustments. People talk about grease drying up, but there will be enough lubricant that you won't be doing any damage, providing there is not already grit in the bearing, and then it's probably already too late. I've been surprised at how many hubs, pedals and cranks I've pulled apart with loads of clean factory grease still doing its job after 30 or 40 years.

Many years ago, I drove down to Massachusetts to buy a like-new '74 Raleigh Pro from Sheldon Brown. I took a pair of wheels along so I knew the sewups would be glued, popped them in, and took the bike out for a 40-mile ride. I had a great experience riding the bike on roads I may never get a chance to be on again, and I didn't do any harm to the bike, in spite of the fact that it hadn't been serviced since new.
Likes For sbarner:
Old 01-04-23, 12:02 AM
Jasongrace313

I took the rear wheel off because it was out of true, put this spare I had hanging around on it and took it around the block. It was fun, but I will need to spend some real time with it and maybe carry a small tool kit to make adjustments and repairs on the fly. I did feel for issues with it in the stand and did visual checks without anything popping out. I'd like to have it completely overhauled and am in no rush to do it. But, I am in a rush to ride it around for a bit.
Likes For Jasongrace313:
Old 01-04-23, 09:43 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked 3,501 Times in 1,394 Posts
But, I am in a rush to ride it around for a bit.
Yep, know the feeling. I've had a Trek 600 on the hangars that I picked up a few weeks ago and got so stir crazy just looking at it (hadn't ridden it yet), I just yanked it off the hooks and took it around the block. Made sure the RD was aligned so I wouldn't have one of those 5mph frame dropout destructo moments. Rode great!

Good luck!
Likes For AdventureManCO:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.