Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why do C&V Riders scoff at stem mounted shifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why do C&V Riders scoff at stem mounted shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-22, 02:33 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 661 Posts
is that a grip shift mounted t a quill stem???

Brilliant!
Old 12-06-22, 11:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It could go way BITD when bikes had handlebar mounted bottle cages. Maybe the stem shifters got in the way of getting a bottle out. Or not.
Old 12-06-22, 12:41 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,770 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Whenever topics like this come up, I always notice that those who raced in their younger days seem to have the higher standards. I don't know that they are always being snobbish or putting down other equipment. But I suspect they have experienced better and so they would not settle for less. I also suspect that as they were racing they have a greater interest in cycling than members that simply rode casually until they switched to driving and so may represent a larger sampling of the population interested in classic and vintage bikes here on the forum. As a result, it is easy to understand why classic and vintage bikes are esteemed higher than bikes that are simply more vintage than classic like bike boom bikes. Additionally I think when someone points out that something like stem shifter are an indicator of lower end bikes in the C&V world, it is an honest statement not necessarily a scoff.
My first "ten-speed" was a Sears Free-Spirit--with stem shifters. In college, I got my first "good" bike (i.e., a bike shop bike), which was a Centurion Sport DLX--with stem sifters. I never raced a day in my life, but it was very easy to see the quality differences between so-so bikes that also had stem shifters, and higher-end bikes that did not. And I guess I'm weird in that I prefer higher quality to lower quality.

I will update my response above and say that I do see an advantage for folks using giant-sized frames, where using downtube shifters can be clumsy and awkward.
Old 12-06-22, 12:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
is that a grip shift mounted t a quill stem???

Brilliant!
I'm assuming you're commenting on @BoltBreaker's pix. That one goes to 14 (Rohloff).

I tried to talk him into mounting it on his seatpost, but then he wouldn't be able to shift within 500' of an elementary school.
Old 12-06-22, 01:56 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
They are working well for me, almost as well as DT shifters, with the stiff, skinny Jagwire cables, and the Suntour barrel-style shifters. I always thought that the separate barrel looked kinda clunky and heavy, but boy does it work well. Just one JIS screwdriver to tighten, and it won't scratch up your stem, either.

Suntour stem shifters are just so cool!
I've got a set of those shifters in my "just in case" stash. I don't really like the shifters- I'd try to swap on some version of ratcheting power shifters. I played with it for a while before sticking it in the box... I think my idea was to use the old style Power shifters that are came clamped on to "inexpensive" bikes.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-06-22, 02:02 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It could also be that the high end bikes came with high end/expensive stems that people didn't want to scratch with stem shifters.
Old 02-25-23, 10:00 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 287 Posts
I like downtube shifters but my current vintage road bike has stem mounted. I don't mind them as I've gotten older but....

Can someone explain THESE shifters?
Top tube mounted?

Old 02-26-23, 12:19 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
I like downtube shifters but my current vintage road bike has stem mounted. I don't mind them as I've gotten older but....

Top tube mounted?

Well, they're mounted on the top tube of the worst bicycle brand ever to see daylight.
But they were probably chosen for quicker assembly of the bike out of the box.
Old 02-26-23, 06:19 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder

Top tube mounted?

Non-lethal Darwin Award enablers for male riders foolish or naive enough to ride one.
Old 02-26-23, 12:50 PM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
No new info from me here, but I'll chime in. I got older and slower and less flexible. While I prefer the Barcon type shifter for upright riding on a vintage bike, they have become expensive and require an expensive upright bar to install them on. For less than five bucks I can run the very excellent quality Suntour Power Shifters, which are readily available in parts bins. Upright riding position shifting is solved for dirt cheap. So for me it is a matter of cost, functionality, and practicality. Here is a shot of my current favorite bike with a reworked cockpit that cost me around $10 for stem, bars, and shifters!

Perhaps I should mention I have Clark Wallabies with SPD cleats bolted to them for casual rides.

Likes For robobike316:
Old 02-26-23, 01:12 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by robobike316
No new info from me here, but I'll chime in. snip . . .

Perhaps I should mention I have Clark Wallabies with SPD cleats bolted to them for casual rides.

snip . . .
Pics or it didn't happen. Just sayin. . . .

Last edited by bikemig; 02-26-23 at 04:12 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-26-23, 06:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig

Pics or it didn't happen. Just sayin. . . .
+1

My little bro lived in those Clark's Wallabies for at least a decade or more beginning in the late 70s. It would be a treat to see a pair modified for cycling!

DD