Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What the....? This ain't "normal".

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-19, 07:48 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts

I was making a few last touches to a Univega Via Montegna from the '90s for a co-worker to commute on.
Nice bike for this use (I'm impressed with it), but in this Urban Jungle I said: "Let's ditch the QR seat binder for a regular pinch bolt" so at least there's a fighting chance the seat post and saddle won't "disappear" into the junkie sidewalk market.
And I pulled one from my spares bin that seemed perfect for that, except...when I put the 6mm Allen wrench in to tighten up and: no-go.
So tried the 5mm and ALSO no-go, so got me thinking " is this some weirdo that uses SAE Allen keys", but behold---
Not Allen but ALIEN!
it's the biggest "pentalobe" I ever saw...does Apple Computers know about this?

Anybody know who made this "anti-theft" binderbolt (I sure don't recall where I got it)? If the tool is not sold anymore I guess I can always grind one to fit...I thought this was strictly a headache that occupied another corner of my life: fixing my computer/phone/pad like when the batteries or HDDs die!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 08-31-19, 07:58 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I don't think I ever saw this particular one but lots of people were making those back when ATBs and MTBs first boomed.

Looks like five sided allens are around just hard to find
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...575156739.html

The 4 Best Five Sided Allen Wrench ? Allen Key Reviews 2019

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 08-31-19 at 08:04 PM.
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 08-31-19, 08:05 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,394 Times in 2,092 Posts
No idea who made this one - and I'm surprised I never came across it in my research. Pentalobe hardware (with security nubs in the center, just to make it interesting) is a staple of ofo dockless share bikes (yes, even axle nuts). I wrote about it here: How to fix an ofo dockless bicycle - The Bike Share Museum

In addition to the pentalobe tools by Broppe that I mention in that article, there is an indirect, passing mention to a 10mm, 5-point bit that's part of the CTA Tools 2752 set for Bendix and Girling automotive brakes: https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-275.../dp/B07MDHFLX6 (also see: https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/4512).

I have all of them, and can check for you if any would work. Can you measure the point-to-point distance? I'll measure it against the CTA Tools 10mm bit and the Broppe tools for ofo cranks and LimeBike pedals.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 08-31-19 at 08:10 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 08-31-19, 09:53 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
That looks a whole lot like a standard anti-theft seat binder sold as part of a set (along with not-so-QR wheel skewers) by 49N.

I sell these at the shop I work at. The tool - if I am correct - would be readily available (albeit AFAIK only with purchase of a skewer set, about $30 Canadian retail ATM).

I belive (or at least suspect) that these are made and sold under multiple brand names. Very common in shops here in Canada...not sure about south of the 49th.

I can scrounge around to see if we have an extra around the shop, but I think we just have a couple that we use very regularly when working on customers' repair bikes.
Likes For mikemowbz:
Old 08-31-19, 11:24 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Harbor freight sells a comprehensive yet cheap "security" bit set, which I'd bet includes penta bits.
Old 08-31-19, 11:45 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

I do have a 'security bit set' bought it online so not sure how it compares to the Harbor set but mine definitely does not have anything this big in "pentalobe". A quick measure across points (not flats cause with a pentagram the flats are not parallel) is about 7mm maybe a tiny bit under. THANKS to all you guys who replied to a very oddball post, I'm surprised to get this many useful replies ad with useful info...C&V ROCKS!
Old 09-01-19, 12:17 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by dddd
Harbor freight sells a comprehensive yet cheap "security" bit set, which I'd bet includes penta bits.
Believe me...it doesn't.

Originally Posted by unworthy1
I do have a 'security bit set' bought it online so not sure how it compares to the Harbor set but mine definitely does not have anything this big in "pentalobe". A quick measure across points (not flats cause with a pentagram the flats are not parallel) is about 7mm maybe a tiny bit under. THANKS to all you guys who replied to a very oddball post, I'm surprised to get this many useful replies ad with useful info...C&V ROCKS!
Sounds good, will check. The set that Bianchigirll suggests isn't a bad option to have around though.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-01-19, 07:03 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I'm not sure if I got my security set at HF or somewhere else, but there are no 5 point bits. Mostly Torx and Allen with the hole in the end and some 3 point Phillips-style bits.

Fire hydrants also commonly use a 5 sided wrench for tamper resistance.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 09-01-19, 09:42 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I have one exactly like that. I'll have to check the brand when I get home but it might be Contec. It's a generic anti-theft set and you're right, they are hard to impossible to come by separately.

The hole in the middle has a screw so you can put some pressure on the key.
Old 09-01-19, 08:25 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Check with a local specialty fastener vendor, I had two sets of security fastener bits that one of our local vendors gave our general superintendent and me as Christmas swag gifts at a job site. Mine got passed on to a fire alarm system sub-contractor on a building I was engineer on, he was in bad need of a set for his work and was kind of coin challenged at the time.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-01-19, 08:55 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Check with a local specialty fastener vendor, I had two sets of security fastener bits that one of our local vendors gave our general superintendent and me as Christmas swag gifts at a job site. Mine got passed on to a fire alarm system sub-contractor on a building I was engineer on, he was in bad need of a set for his work and was kind of coin challenged at the time.

Bill
I wouldn’t over-complicate the search. Almost all commonly available security bit sets do not have pentalobe tools included.

Pentalobe keys are common enough from China (as Bianchigirll has pointed out), though it seems to be a fairly unusual security fastener type to be spec’ed in North America.

As for bicycles, this is the first time I’ve seen any pentalobe not immediately associated with an ofo.

(Just remembered that I still have to measure my tools for the OP...tomorrow).

-Kurt
Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-02-19, 04:19 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Trans-X security release
Contec security skewers.

You can see the key to open it in the bottom right in between the pressure meter and the duct tape.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 09-02-19, 12:46 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Thanks for tracking down the original brand(s) JaccoW and to Cudak888, Bianchigirll and all of you for your help! I am going to order a set of "penta" keys from China (before the next tariffs take hold, maybe?) and will find a more conventional pinch bolt for the Univega job in the meantime.
Likes For unworthy1: