Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Marinoni Retro SL

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Marinoni Retro SL

Old 06-03-16, 07:45 PM
ricohman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Marinoni Retro SL

I know this isn't vintage but it's still looks very much like my 1988 Marinoni Special.
And it has 130mm rear spacing.
These are new frames built to order, and I'm trying to decide on which fork to get.
Threaded vs threadless. I am planning 10spd Ultegra as I recently crashed my race bike and have a complete new parts group.
These frames are not cheap so I'd like to hear what would be best suited for a bike that is not going to be raced by will be ridden on some club rides and whenever I want that retro vibe.
Cycles Marinoni
Old 06-03-16, 09:33 PM
arimajol

Bikes: Some old steel, some new steel

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I got a Retro Zona last December, which it looks like they are not offering anymore, but very similar. Took a road trip to Montreal to pick it up and got to meet Mr. Marinoni. I went with threaded, for the aesthetics and because it's what I'm familiar with. It's a really nice bike, though without the many M pantographs of my 1987 Special. I built mine with 9 speed chorus.
Old 06-03-16, 11:50 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
1" thread less? I'd go threaded unless they are doing a 1-1/8" thread less, then you'll have to use a shim and the stem will look bulky and not quite right. That is a really nice looking frame and it is cool to see Marinoni still in the game. Personally, if I'm buying a modern steel bike I want all the benefits modern engineering affords, I want OS tubing, fig welds, light stiff and a carbon fork. My partner has a great TIG welded 'noni in Zona that is a great sportif which fits 28mm tires with fenders, it's about 10 years old. I passed on all my marinonis except the 1981 Pista special as I came to prefer the ride of 531.
Old 06-04-16, 08:06 AM
arimajol

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
1" thread less? I'd go threaded unless they are doing a 1-1/8" thread less, then you'll have to use a shim and the stem will look bulky and not quite right. That is a really nice looking frame and it is cool to see Marinoni still in the game. Personally, if I'm buying a modern steel bike I want all the benefits modern engineering affords, I want OS tubing, fig welds, light stiff and a carbon fork. My partner has a great TIG welded 'noni in Zona that is a great sportif which fits 28mm tires with fenders, it's about 10 years old. I passed on all my marinonis except the 1981 Pista special as I came to prefer the ride of 531.
I think if I had to do it over again, I'd go with the Piuma model. The lugged retro is very nice, but I already have lugged bikes and they aren't that hard to find. Building this one up was my first foray into ergos and clipless pedals. I'm a lot more comfortable now with modern stuff and would just go all in. Maybe they'd let me trade it in for a new Piuma?? Then again, the difference between Zona and Spirit probably isn't big enough for me to ever notice.

Either way, their prices on new frames are some of the best deals out there.
Old 06-04-16, 12:17 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
I'd go with the 1" threaded, classic quill setup. If you're going retro, go all the way. Or at least as far as you can and still use the Ultegra bits.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 06-04-16, 12:48 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
What a nice looking keeper of the flame. The chrome stays remind me of Montellos, among many others.

I" threaded Cinelli is the only suitable cockpit in my eyes of course.
Old 06-04-16, 05:48 PM
ricohman

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I'd go with the 1" threaded, classic quill setup. If you're going retro, go all the way. Or at least as far as you can and still use the Ultegra bits.
This is what I'm thinking. I have new bikes with carbon forks and threadless. I used to race the CAAD10 until it was destroyed, and now have a CAAD12 coming. I am riding my Specialized Roubaix now among others I have.
When I was riding my old Marinoni I thought "wouldn't it be nice to upgrade this old frame". But I don't want to pull off the original Campy bits and ruin a classic.
But since they offer a new frame in 130mm how can I go wrong?
Old 06-04-16, 05:52 PM
ricohman

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I should mention that during my crash I dislocated my hip, separated my shoulder, concussion, cracked neck vertebrae, badly bruised ribs, jaw won't close properly, bruises as big as two dinner plates on my leg and on it goes.
This is my recovery project and I will be riding this nice and easy for the rest of this season when I get back on the bike. No more racing this year.
Old 06-04-16, 06:38 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
A vote for the 1" threaded fork, use a classy stem and suitable bar, both in aluminum finish, not black. I did the converter thingy for a 1" threaded fork, the threadless stem and ergonomic bars just didn't look right, IMHO. A good steel frame deserves a nice Cinelli stem and either a Cinelli Giro d'Italia, or a 3ttt Competizione (sp?) handle bar.

Heal up ricohman, glad that things weren't any worse, that sounds bad enough as it is. At least this project will give you something to take your mind off of the accident.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-05-16, 07:36 AM
arimajol

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you really want the classic, sounds like threaded is the way to go. Here's how mine turned out. Please excuse the non-drive side pic!

Old 06-05-16, 08:50 AM
ricohman

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by arimajol
If you really want the classic, sounds like threaded is the way to go. Here's how mine turned out. Please excuse the non-drive side pic!

Wonderful!
Is your fork threadless? I can see that frame bosses for the downtube shifters are still included, or are those cable stops?
I like that color. Maybe the yellow I was pondering is to much.
I am getting the english threaded BB. I don't yet know what modern 10spd crank will fit. I can't reuse the crank in the CAAD10 as its BB30. But that's ok as I want something in aluminum color.
Old 06-05-16, 05:15 PM
arimajol

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ricohman
Wonderful!
Is your fork threadless? I can see that frame bosses for the downtube shifters are still included, or are those cable stops?
I like that color. Maybe the yellow I was pondering is to much.
I am getting the english threaded BB. I don't yet know what modern 10spd crank will fit. I can't reuse the crank in the CAAD10 as its BB30. But that's ok as I want something in aluminum color.
I went with threaded fork. Mine has downtube bosses with the cable stops you press on. I didn't think to ask if they could do cable stops on the headtube. They might do it if you ask. I went with english threaded, as well. They can do the maple leaf crown or a fleur-de-lis and have a few different chroming options.