Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1968 Schwinn Super Sport

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1968 Schwinn Super Sport

Old 02-28-20, 02:08 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
1968 Schwinn Super Sport

Got this from a friend of mine for free. Looks new. A bit of wax and it shines like a new penny. Looks to be all original, even has the Schwinn Sprint Toe Staps.

​​​​​​
Old 02-28-20, 02:15 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
To the right person, given the pristine condition, you might get $300 for that bike. Sounds like way high for an old Super Sport, but again, it takes the right buyer. Would I pay that much? No.

To someone just looking for a bike to ride, half that amount or even less. IMHO, the old Chicago Schwinns get interesting at Super Sport and higher. Fillet brazed, cromoly frame, Brooks saddle, alloy rims. Buyer will need to be interested in nostalgia. I'd consider one at a lower price, and do a resto-mod: three piece crank, lighter and better wheels, more alloy bits, etc. But I would not resto-mod this one. Its in too nice of condition.

I sold an early 1970s Sports Tourer (one step up, but it was a big step) in very similar condition. Did pretty well. The early Superiors and Sports Tourers are nice bikes.

Theres a Sports Tourer on ebay right now with an asking price of $25,000! Now that is ambitious!

Last edited by wrk101; 02-28-20 at 02:21 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 02-28-20, 02:19 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Another time capsule.
Cherry. (how dated is that expression?)

A great bike for Florida riding.

I had a SS for a while. I think mine was early 70's. Lime green with shorty fenders.

Excuse mismatched front wheel. Flat on original wheel was reason for swap, prior to picture. Not the best bike for climbs or big hills, but great cruiser.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-28-20 at 02:33 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-28-20, 02:23 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
WOW !!!

That's some friend !!!!!

I would be taking him/her out to dinner !!!!!!!!

Great bike in Excellent condition.

Unbelievable score !!!!!!!!!

Very smooth ride.

Congrats !!!
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 02-28-20, 03:04 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
That old Schwinn paint really cleans up good.
Old 02-28-20, 03:55 PM
aenciso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That color is amazing in the sun. Take your buddy out to dinner as a thank you.
Likes For aenciso:
Old 02-28-20, 03:58 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
Nice lookin super sport! Looks great with your patio and green lawn.( alotta grey here in northeast Ohio at the moment).
Likes For Kdogbikes:
Old 02-28-20, 05:01 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Michael Angelo, that Super Sport is a beauty. You did a great job of getting the shine on it. Your friend did a great job of keeping in good shape all these years. I think some of the appeal of these Chicago Schwinn's are the flamboyant or candy paint jobs. Although, the straight paint like Wildwood's bike are really nice too. Considering their paint set up, spinning discs and electrostatic attraction, they got great results. These Chicago Schwinn's are also damn hard to remove the original paint too.

The chrome is nice when it is all shiny. I had been looking for a Super Sport or Sport Tourer within my budget, but I could only get a Continental within the budget.

Don't change a thing. Ride and enjoy. You are going to get older people commenting about it. Sure they will compare it to their old Varsities or Continental. Don't get upset, they are getting nostalgic and your bike brings back those memories. We, at Bike Forum, all know that the Super Sport was way above these bikes.

It is one of the best pictures of, what I believe is Campus Green, I have seen on the internet. I am considering repainting my Continental Campus Green, but we'll see. Your bike helps tilt the meter in that direction.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 02-28-20, 05:07 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
It’s all about the bottle cage.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 02-28-20, 05:36 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Just realized you weren't asking about value. Outstanding condition for sure!
Likes For wrk101:
Old 02-28-20, 09:24 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
I enjoy Super Sports. The whole "fillet brazed" thing is cool, the fact they were done in the Paramount "Cage" is cool. I think it's also cool that they're so easily dismissed as no different than Continentals or Varsities. I've kind of thought of getting one- but again, for me, I'd want something a bit more "modernized" than that.

Wasn't that Schwinn green the same as the same green used on the 68 GTOs? Our neighbors had a 68 GTO and I sort of remember it being that color... and, of course, the starbursts...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-28-20, 09:50 PM
schwinnderella

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Another time capsule.
Cherry. (how dated is that expression?)

A great bike for Florida riding.

I had a SS for a while. I think mine was early 70's. Lime green with shorty fenders.

Excuse mismatched front wheel. Flat on original wheel was reason for swap, prior to picture. Not the best bike for climbs or big hills, but great cruiser.
I like the Super Sports I think Schwinn called this color opaque green.
Likes For schwinnderella:
Old 02-28-20, 09:59 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
If this bike fits, I would definitely want to get some miles in on it before making any changes, since these bikes are darn-near perfect as-is.

Even for sporting club rides, dare I say maybe even a training ride, it will make a good rider with a freewheel size suited to the terrain.

I went to the trouble of finding 1/2" clipless pedals and making a 13-26t six-speed freewheel work with the original French-made derailers, but I kept the rest of the bike near stock, including the original kickstand. OK, I did also swap the bars/stem/seat/post and remove the protector discs (they were surprisingly heavy), but the bike's stock configuration (wheels, shifters, cranks, etc.) and especially the 73x73-degree frame geometry (vs. 70-degrees for a Continental) imo makes for a viable road bike even today!

Mine's definitely not in as nice condition paint-wise, but this color is very good at making the blems invisible from just a few feet away. I found mine on Craigslist and was happy to drive an hour just to check it out (and paid close to the asking price since the original rims turned out to be in top shape).

Likes For dddd:
Old 02-28-20, 10:23 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
If this bike fits, I would definitely want to get some miles in on it before making any changes, since these bikes are darn-near perfect as-is.

Even for sporting club rides, dare I say maybe even a training ride, it will make a good rider with a freewheel size suited to the terrain.

I went to the trouble of finding 1/2" clipless pedals and making a 13-26t six-speed freewheel work with the original French-made derailers, but I kept the rest of the bike near stock, including the original kickstand. OK, I did also swap the bars/stem/seat/post and remove the protector discs (they were surprisingly heavy), but the bike's stock configuration (wheels, shifters, cranks, etc.) and especially the 73x73-degree frame geometry (vs. 70-degrees for a Continental) imo makes for a viable road bike even today!

Mine's definitely not in as nice condition paint-wise, but this color is very good at making the blems invisible from just a few feet away. I found mine on Craigslist and was happy to drive an hour just to check it out (and paid close to the asking price since the original rims turned out to be in top shape).
It is pretty easy to punch out the reflectors and retrofit the 1/2" OEM pedals with toe clips -- been there, done that with the Varsity I briefly owned. The one change I would make is to replace the Twin Stick stem shifters with barcons, but that's just me. I like the 6-speed idea a lot, but I had to grind down the stop to increase the right Twin Stik lever's travel and cable wrap to make it work, even for a 5-speed with a SunTour VGT-Luxe on my wife's bike.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 02-29-20, 12:04 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
The OP's bike from 1968 has a Huret derailer hanger on the forged dropout. And the year 1968 might also be the first year out for the Twin-Stick levers.

So I would emphasize making friends with this style of levers. They feature offset (towards the front) pivots, giving added knee clearance while retaining the fine-shifting longer levers.

I didn't know that a Suntour rear derailer would need the Twin-Stick's full cable pull to go across a five speed freewheel. Though with my Allvit and standard-spaced six-speed freewheel I do use up the full amount of lever travel (even with the cable tensioned pretty snug). Never a problem though, I've ridden thousands of miles without needing any cable re-adjustment, and I actually like that the lever hits a hard stop as I am shifting onto the largest cog.

The later-model Supersports (from at least 1971 on) would come with a longer-cage Allvit rear derailer to clear a very big (32 or 34t) freewheel. These also unfortunately featured a different style of claw hanger which positioned the derailer body almost rearward of vertical. Shifting on smaller freewheels improves a lot with a switch to the short-cage style claw (or complete derailer), and I'm remembering now that I put a short-cage Allvit on my 1971 model for the better shifting it offered with my smaller 26t freewheel.

Last edited by dddd; 02-29-20 at 12:08 AM.
Likes For dddd: