Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2022 Roll Call! Apr. 29-May 1, 2022

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2022 Roll Call! Apr. 29-May 1, 2022

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-22, 08:36 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
Thalia949 go to MyEroica and see your reg.
Old 03-11-22, 08:48 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Thalia949
If you previously registered for the cancelled 2020 event, does your registration automatically transfer to the 2022 event? I registered for the 2020, which was cancelled. Everything I have read from the organizers was it was automatic, but want to make sure I don't need to go into my account and re-register.
Hi Thalia, yours is a good question and one that had vexed many of us. Here’s the way to check:
go to the Eroica California website and click on the Registration page:

https://eroica.cc/en/california/regi...ica-california

Choose the Classic Vintage ride or the Nova ride for modern bikes. The link will take you to a login for the MyEroica.cc pages where you can sign up and pay for a registration or check your current registration:

https://www.myeroica.cc/login/login.php

Once you have logged in, you can choose which ride you want to register for and pay for it.

https://www.myeroica.cc/myhome/main.php

To check a previous registration for 2020 being moved to 2022, click the three horizontal bar Menu tab in upper left corner for a drop down menu sand click on “Registration Summary / History”.

https://www.myeroica.cc/myhome/main....w_registration

here you will find previous registrations from 2017 on and whether you are already registered for the 2022 event. Should look something like this:

This shows my 2020 registration has been successfully applied to the 2022 event. If you have difficulty or your registration has not been transferred, gather all prior email confirmation, payment info, etc. also from the My Online Purchases link from the menu:

https://www.myeroica.cc/myhome/main.php?mac=your_shop

which will give you dates and amount for what you have purchased.

should look like:

and contact the Italian event organizers: “We will be happy to assist you! Please find below the main contacts that could help you:

INFO: info@eroicacalifornia.com
MY EROICA ASSISTANCE: service@eroica.cc

or click the “send an email” link at on the Contact page here:

https://eroica.cc/en/california/cont...ica-california

Hope that helps. See you there!

Last edited by mech986; 03-11-22 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-11-22, 08:55 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
OKOKOKOK...
But if I don't see more than a few cyclists on the long ride riding bikes that could have been entered in the concourse, It is not worth participating. I can make the effort and invite myself to some other ride you all do from time to time as a get-together.
Seriously…do both.
Old 03-13-22, 09:13 PM
aaron1rosenbaum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm currently registered for the La Via della Scalatore route (3 climbs w/ Frys, right?), riding L'Eroica for the 1st time.

I've got Tufo 23's on the bike now (1982/83 Ochsner that I've owned since new), but I picked up some tracer CX tires as a potential option.

Assuming they fit (33mm), is it worth it for the comfort (I would run them at 75-80) or just leave it alone (I hate mounting tires).

I'm not currently registered for Nova but have a room for Friday night so I'm thinking about it (I live in the Bay Area)..Rideable with road tires? I've got GP5000s on my 3T Strada...I do 1/4 mile segments of gravel all the time (dry)...(did I say I hate mounting tires? All tires, tubular, clincher, tubeless...hate em all.)

Aaron
Old 03-13-22, 10:32 PM
Classtime 

Andy Hampsten can do it with a borrowed bike and 23s. I cheated with 25mm Sprinter Gatorskins. GP5000s might be a tad delicate and vulnerable to sidewall cuts.
Old 03-13-22, 11:07 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,122 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by aaron1rosenbaum
Assuming they fit (33mm), is it worth it for the comfort (I would run them at 75-80) or just leave it alone (I hate mounting tires).

I'm not currently registered for Nova but have a room for Friday night so I'm thinking about it (I live in the Bay Area)..Rideable with road tires? I've got GP5000s on my 3T Strada...I do 1/4 mile segments of gravel all the time (dry)...(did I say I hate mounting tires? All tires, tubular, clincher, tubeless...hate em all.)

Aaron
Welcome! My suggestion is to ride the widest tires you can reasonably fit on your frame. However, fitting 33mm tires on a vintage frame is a big assumption. I got 32mm Dugast tubulars onto my Cilo when I rode Eroica CA a few years back and they were perfect. I can just barely squeeze 30mm tubulars onto my Colnago, which I plan to ride this year. Best to do a test fit before any gluing. I don't mind gluing tubulars. If you're near Berkeley in the Bay Area, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to help mount your tires. I have a large can of glue. Just make sure to pre-stretch the tire on a rim beforehand.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 03-13-22, 11:29 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 80 Posts
I tend to want larger tires these days, mostly for the rotten roads in my area. However, for some bikes larger tires can adversely affect the handling.

On the spirit of things - like many of you I'll be riding a bike that is at least 40 years old. I'm turning 61 in a few weeks... Forty years ago I was running 5-minute miles, and swimming a mile a day. Long fast rides with 22mm tires, 42/52 chainset and 13-24 (or so) cogset was not a problem. I rode with fast teams.

How many of those team riders are still riding today? If I show up in Cambria with 28mm tires, 48/38 chainrings and a 14-28 cogset, I hope you all can still enjoy the ride. I'm hoping to avoid walking.
Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 03-14-22, 01:45 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by aaron1rosenbaum
I'm currently registered for the La Via della Scalatore route (3 climbs w/ Frys, right?), riding L'Eroica for the 1st time.

I've got Tufo 23's on the bike now (1982/83 Ochsner that I've owned since new), but I picked up some tracer CX tires as a potential option.

Aaron
Hi Aaron and Welcome!!
Unfortunately, the La Via della Scalatore route (80.4 miles, 6400 ft of climb) does NOT have Olive oil fries (Olea Farms), only the Heroic route (107.3 miles, 8244 ft. of climb) has the inland loop with stops at Olea Farms and Cass Winery. Previously when the event was HQ'ed in Paso Robles, the short and heroic routes did the inland loop. A real shame that only the Heroic route gets this really nice perk now, but I suppose that is the reward for being heroic!

As for the tires, I agree with the others that if you can fit wider tires, it can be a real positive and handling will not suffer IMO. As mentioned in the last page or two, Eroica gives allowances for gearing and equipment variations to allow anyone, young and old, seasoned or novice, racer or recreational cyclist to attempt the rides with whatever level of effort and suffering they can tolerate. Some seem to think that is sacreligious towards the spirit of Eroica but I disagree. IMO, few of us were ever at the top 20% of local racing riders, let along the top 0.5% who made it to professional European Tour riders. If anyone thinks that an 8-12% climb of 3-6 miles is made a whole lot easier with a triple gear front of 28 to 36 tooth driving 26-34 tooth rear cogs, well more power to you, don't use them. There's quite a few stronger riders of 55 and over years around here who can do just that, great. But for a lot of us, we're getting older and gearing and wider tires are some nice options to make the suffering (and I do mean suffering) a wee bit more tolerable. Its your choice.

I definitely suggest trying it out, and soon so you can decide if it works for you, and is a reliable choice, plus you can get used to the slight change in gearing that wider (and taller) tires makes. Then you can get some miles in to get used to it. IMO, nothing worse than trying something new, or relatively untested just prior to or day of the ride. Likewise same in automotive road racing, trying something trick without testing is a mechanical waiting to happen. Many Eroica participants will testify to tire problems, cable failures or slippage, Bottom Brackets unscrewing, unmanageable brake squeal on new pads or just cleaned rims, chain suck, etc. Best to carry patches, tubes, spare tubulars, and a few tools just in case. Last time we did have neutral bike mechanics at stops but unsure at present what will be available.

The best part though of a breakdown is the outpouring of help and courtesy from other riders. Same goes for any slip or fall or crash. That support is what brings out the best in these group rides.
Old 03-14-22, 02:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Self sufficiency always wins the day, planning the hole can mitigate having to dig out of it.
Old 03-14-22, 10:38 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,122 Times in 554 Posts
I have a query for the cogniscenti. I'm debating bringing my '73 Speedwell Titalite for the "display only" category of the Concourse d' Elegance. It's definitely not a bike that would win any judging contests for 100% period-correctness, or other high standards for bikes in original or restored categories. However, I think it's quirky and pretty enough to be of interest to some passers-by. First, would it be out of place under the same tent as the other Course d' Elegance entries, even in the display-only section? Perhaps more important, what sort of security measures are in place? The Concourse regulations say that bikes must be dropped on early Saturday morning and claimed at end of judging around 4pm. I certainly don't want to hover over the bike all day, but I also want to be confident it will be there if I leave and try to reclaim it at the end of the day.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 03-15-22, 02:16 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by gaucho777
I have a query for the cogniscenti. I'm debating bringing my '73 Speedwell Titalite for the "display only" category of the Concourse d' Elegance. It's definitely not a bike that would win any judging contests for 100% period-correctness, or other high standards for bikes in original or restored categories. However, I think it's quirky and pretty enough to be of interest to some passers-by. First, would it be out of place under the same tent as the other Course d' Elegance entries, even in the display-only section? Perhaps more important, what sort of security measures are in place? The Concourse regulations say that bikes must be dropped on early Saturday morning and claimed at end of judging around 4pm. I certainly don't want to hover over the bike all day, but I also want to be confident it will be there if I leave and try to reclaim it at the end of the day.
I went in 2017, took the 78 Merz touring complete mostly all original.

At the motel, it and my sons daily rider, a gold ok, original 76? Raleigh SC that we had cleaned up and overhauled were sitting outside the room in the breezeway. His bike got looks and comments from almost every person that went by. The Merz got plenty of attention but the Raleigh got way more.

Saturday at the Concourse, I entered the Merz and it got lots of attention including several people who said it should win the thing, great minds and all that. Saw Jim as well, got some pics that I managed to lose track of before I could upload them.

The Raleigh was leaned against a tree at the perimeter of the show close by. Again, the Raleigh got a steady stream of attention all day long at the concourse when it wasn't even in it. Kid loved it and I told him as I had when he got it that they hold their own all day long as we saw.

I think no matter what you take, there will be fans, its a great thing to have people you don't know show great interest in your special bikes.

Security was not a concern per se, I still didn't stray far for long, there was plenty to look at so many little out and back trips broke up the day and people seemed to look out for all.

I would not hesitate to show a bike, with all the great bikes, you don't want to miss that experience, I wouldn't go without doing it.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-15-22, 03:15 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
^^^I have always gotten the most attention when I ride my “Black Beauty”, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS in really nice shape. I have never taken it to an Eroica event , but just when I’m out and about with it . I guess a lot of folks recognize the marquis. I get comments from guys my age “ I had a Raleigh when I was younger but it sure didn’t look like that”. Even the younger crowd . As far as security , I have not had any issues I ride my bike to and from the event and just keep it close enough to keep an eye on it but I have never displayed a bike.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-15-22, 10:15 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
^^^I have always gotten the most attention when I ride my “Black Beauty”, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS in really nice shape. I have never taken it to an Eroica event , but just when I’m out and about with it . I guess a lot of folks recognize the marquis. I get comments from guys my age “ I had a Raleigh when I was younger but it sure didn’t look like that”. Even the younger crowd . As far as security , I have not had any issues I ride my bike to and from the event and just keep it close enough to keep an eye on it but I have never displayed a bike.
I would encourage you to do so this time, take your best, coolest, obscure, most famous, etc, whatever. The comaraderie is awesome and should not be missed imo.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-15-22, 10:28 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Advice for 2022 options:

I signed up to ride and then found out my daughter is getting married near the same time period.
Im currently in TX and do not plan to make 2 trips to CA in the same month time.
Can I sell or even give my registration to another rider ??
TIA
Old 03-15-22, 02:48 PM
Classtime 

Congratulations Joe. My daughter is waiting till mid July which messes with Cino plans.
If your registration is from pre-covid, they made it possible to transfer to another rider and at one time, the web site had info on how to do it.
Old 03-15-22, 06:01 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Congratulations Joe. My daughter is waiting till mid July which messes with Cino plans.
If your registration is from pre-covid, they made it possible to transfer to another rider and at one time, the web site had info on how to do it.
Thanks that is good to know.
At this point they only consider medical reasons for transfers to the next year.
Im glad it will atleast benefit another rider.
Old 03-17-22, 11:13 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
I have a couple of questions concerning the Concours d'Elegance.

1) I've been registered for the Via dello Scalatore route since 2019, but I've decided I'd like to enter my newly finished 1972 Legnano in the Concours. How can I add the entry to my registration?

2) I'd like it to be judged but I'm not quite sure of their definition of "original" vs "restored". The paint on my Legnano is all original. All nicks and scratches were left as I found them. All parts were removed, cleaned, polished, and reinstalled. Any incorrect parts were replaced with correct parts. While the frame was bare, the paint was cleaned, polished, and waxed. Would this be considered original (based on the paint) or restored? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-17-22, 01:11 PM
merziac

I would say original, "restored" technically requires new paint, all consumables, worn components replaced AND copious amounts of elbow grease.

Good luck, the Masi's and Colnago's really seem to have the upper hand there.
Old 03-17-22, 02:10 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Good luck, the Masi's and Colnago's really seem to have the upper hand there.
Thanks. I'm not worried about a high placing as there's plenty of areas the judges will ding me. I just want to show it off mostly, but also see where it falls on points.

I still need to find how to add the entry to my registration. I know I'll need to submit two photos, but I can't seem to find a method.
Old 03-17-22, 05:51 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Brad L
Thanks. I'm not worried about a high placing as there's plenty of areas the judges will ding me. I just want to show it off mostly, but also see where it falls on points.

I still need to find how to add the entry to my registration. I know I'll need to submit two photos, but I can't seem to find a method.
No worries, the year I went, I showed Merz TW189, very original save for saddle, tires and bar tape and in excellent shape, rode it on the ride also.

Several people that were obviously Merz fans came up and said "this should win" alas, no such luck.

I did forget the frame fit, paint to match silca pump and the racks had mounts for the eclipse pannier sliding brackets that I had taken off since they were ugly and I didn't have the panniers yet.

We know it can be all about the details so who knows but this bike is/was awesome in every aspect, gets great comments from all who see it and is one of the finest examples I know of.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-23-22, 11:22 PM
mjmoens

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just to confirm, are there three routes that travel through Cayucos on May 1,2022?
I don't think there is a water/snack break at the pier, but there are restrooms there.
Just checking to see if the route travels through Cayucos via Ocean Ave (downtown).
Can anyone shed some light with this?
Old 03-24-22, 12:32 AM
cyclic_eric

Yes.
The Santa Lucia Route, La Via Dello Scalatore, and the Heroic Route all pass through Cayucos along Ocean Avenue.
You can find the 2020 Ride with GPS routes at their website:
Eroica CA Rides
It looks like we enter Cayucos along North Ocean Ave, jog west for a block at Cayucos Dr to the pier, ride south for a block, and then go back inland a block to rejoin South Ocean Ave. When we get to the pier we will have ridden 15 miles, mostly flat.
Old 03-24-22, 12:53 AM
mjmoens

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And those three routes take place on Sunday May 1, 2022?
Old 03-24-22, 01:00 AM
cyclic_eric

Originally Posted by mjmoens
And those three routes take place on Sunday May 1, 2022?
Yes of course. The Nova Eroica ride is on Saturday 4/30.
Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 03-24-22, 01:06 AM
mjmoens

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you very much !!
Likes For mjmoens:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.