Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 12:06 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by ArneDarvin
My X 2.0 has the following rim size:
700C disc, 22mm depth, 21mm internal width, 32h and 700-42 size Pathfinder Sport tires.

What would be the narrowest tire I could put in this rim size?

I have around 4000 miles on the original tires and just today ran over something that flattened one of the tires. So, it might be a good time to get new tires.

As I understand things, the Pathfinder Sports are a decent all-around tire and I would go back to them. But I wanted to explore a tire more suited to my use: mostly road and paved trails.

What are your thoughts friends?

Thanks in advance!
I have Pathfinder Pro's on my Trek FX Sport 6 in 32mm and they have been outstanding so far.. No flats, they roll smooth and can easily handle tarmac, light gravel and hardpack.
Old 10-20-22, 05:49 AM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
I have Pathfinder Pro's on my Trek FX Sport 6 in 32mm and they have been outstanding so far.. No flats, they roll smooth and can easily handle tarmac, light gravel and hardpack.
Thanks for replying.
Good to know.
But my question was less about tire brand/model and more about size. Do your rims support a tire that narrow? Do mine?
Old 10-20-22, 09:16 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by ArneDarvin
Thanks for replying.
Good to know.
But my question was less about tire brand/model and more about size. Do your rims support a tire that narrow? Do mine?
You should be able to fit anything from a 25c up to your current 42c tire with no issues on a 21mm internal width wheel.

If you are not convinced then call Trek or a local LBS and ask them
Old 10-22-22, 10:41 AM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
You should be able to fit anything from a 25c up to your current 42c tire with no issues on a 21mm internal width wheel.

If you are not convinced then call Trek or a local LBS and ask them
It was never about being convinced, it was about arming myself with as much information as possible.

And after a convo at my LBS, I had them replace both tires with new 35c width tires.

I appreciate your help, friend!
Old 12-29-22, 01:59 PM
harmonica2

Bikes: 2019 Men's Sirrus Expert Carbon

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi - I'm new to this forum, but joined for this thread. I recently purchased a used 2019 Sirrus Expert Carbon, and I absolutely love it. I have a few questions, but I think the main one is that I am having trouble locating a detailed spec sheet. I found the archived site on the Specialized web site but the manual in the downloads section only contains fairly generic information about the Sirrus line, so I am unsure how to find basic information like "what is the diameter of the seat post?". The manual doesn't mention the handy tool squirreled away in the handlebars, for example, and thanks to this thread I found it! Other than that, I am interested in maintenance info, like how to correct scratches on the matte carbon frame. Thank you in advance for your replies!

Last edited by harmonica2; 12-29-22 at 06:50 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 12-29-22, 03:16 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by harmonica2
Hi - I'm new to this forum, but joined for this thread. I recently purchased a used 2019 Sirrus Expert Carbon, and I absolutely love it. I have a few questions, but I think the main one is that I am having trouble locating a detailed spec sheet. I found the archived site on the Specialized web site but the manual in the downloads section only contains fairly generic information about the Sirrus line, so I am unsure how to find basic information like "what is the diameter of the seat post?". The manual doesn't mention the handy tool squirreled away in the handlebars, for example, and thanks to this thread I found it! Other than that, I am interested in maintenance info, like how to correct scratches on the matt carbon frame. Thank you in advance for your replies!
I'm afraid this (the Tech Spec sheet) is about as detailed as you will find. Covers most of the basic info, but there are gaps. Seatpost is standard round 27.2mm.
https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/me...=225841-154510

Can't help with the scratches, I'm afraid, mainly because I wouldn't care much about them unless they amounted to visible gouges! Others might be able to help on that.
Old 12-30-22, 03:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Hi - I'm new to this forum, but joined for this thread. I recently purchased a used 2019 Sirrus Expert Carbon, and I absolutely love it. I have a few questions, but I think the main one is that I am having trouble locating a detailed spec sheet. I found the archived site on the Specialized web site but the manual in the downloads section only contains fairly generic information about the Sirrus line, so I am unsure how to find basic information like "what is the diameter of the seat post?". The manual doesn't mention the handy tool squirreled away in the handlebars, for example, and thanks to this thread I found it! Other than that, I am interested in maintenance info, like how to correct scratches on the matte carbon frame. Thank you in advance for your replies!
Specialized generally doesn't do anything super detailed the info is out there but most of it they find people don't need but that is true of many different manufacturers and all manuals are generally pretty generic. Paint and scratches are not so much a specific bike issue but more of a generic thing. Though if nothing is actually damaged on the bike I wouldn't worry about it. If it is raw carbon there isn't much to be done and if there is paint just go to your local nail shop and find something to match. Nail Polish is protective and colorful so it works a charm. Other maintenance is pretty generic unless it has a specific proprietary system on it. They did have the Future Shock but nothing really to do there.

A seatpost is something you would just take calipers too and measure on your own if the seatpost isn't marked. Also you might check the seat tube inner diameter as well to confirm if anything is slipping or there feels like too much gap or something.

I had forgotten about the hidden hex wrenches in the bar ends a neat concept but I would rather just have my Ergon Grips and a Crank Bros M10 or some other folding tool but everyone is different on the tool front.

I guess the main point is most of the stuff on the bike is pretty standard so any shop will likely have parts to help you swap anything around and aside from the FutureShock that is about the only proprietary part. Though they did partner with Microsoft and TRP to build the Flow Set Controls but it is all Shimano compatible.

Great bike though I remember we did a Di2 conversion on it (maybe it was a year earlier) and the customer loved it. Enjoy the bike and if you have questions you local shop can help or we have an excellent mechanics sub-forum.
Old 01-09-23, 04:08 PM
PHL2000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Troubleshooting sound from Sirrus X 4.0 - bottom bracket?

First post here. Have had Sirrus X 4.0 for two months, about 600 miles so far (no rain or snow). Need help identifying cause of an annoying sound.

Sound is a dull whooshing sound, like scuffing, or a small burst of air. It is not a click or creak, etc.
It is intermittent, doesn't always occur, but when it does I am going uphill (moderate or steep), only when pedaling, and in gears 7-11 (I don't really use gears lower than those).
As best I can tell, it seems to come from the left side, in the area of the bottom bracket, and again, only when I am (1) pedaling and (2) going uphill.

Started a few weeks ago, after maybe 450 miles? LBS has checked it out, they can't replicate the sound, not sure of cause. Bottom bracket is the original equipment, which I believe is a no-name bracket (described on website as: "Bottom Bracket - Threaded BSA 68mm, 24mm spindle." Sound is not the seat post or tires, etc.
Any idea what is causing this sound?
Old 01-09-23, 04:30 PM
bobthebike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PHL2000
First post here. Have had Sirrus X 4.0 for two months, about 600 miles so far (no rain or snow). Need help identifying cause of an annoying sound.

Sound is a dull whooshing sound, like scuffing, or a small burst of air. It is not a click or creak, etc.
It is intermittent, doesn't always occur, but when it does I am going uphill (moderate or steep), only when pedaling, and in gears 7-11 (I don't really use gears lower than those).
As best I can tell, it seems to come from the left side, in the area of the bottom bracket, and again, only when I am (1) pedaling and (2) going uphill.

Started a few weeks ago, after maybe 450 miles? LBS has checked it out, they can't replicate the sound, not sure of cause. Bottom bracket is the original equipment, which I believe is a no-name bracket (described on website as: "Bottom Bracket - Threaded BSA 68mm, 24mm spindle." Sound is not the seat post or tires, etc.
Any idea what is causing this sound?
I had the same issue with my Sirius X 5.0. Took it to the shop and it persisted after I got it back. Took it back again and another tech solved it. I’m not sure what he did, but I’m assuming he took the bottom bracket off and repacked it. This all started when the bottom bracket nut backed off, which is very common on the GLX drivetrain. One last thing, which was a standard pain for me; have them drop a couple of links off the chain. You’ll never have it derail again. ,Bob
Old 01-09-23, 06:27 PM
PHL2000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for input, Bob.
Old 02-08-23, 01:14 PM
harmonica2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire and Wheel Options for 2019 Carbon

Hi - Another question about my 2019 Sirrus Expert Carbon: The tires are getting worn and I'm researching options.

The stocks wheels are 700C Axis Experts with 21mm internal width, and the stock tires are 30mm in width.

1. Most of the higher-rated tire option only come in 28mm and 32mm. Which should I choose? I suppose I am more interested in comfort than speed, but at the same time I figure 28mm is a standard for a reason. Or have I missed a nice tire that comes in 30mm?
2. The stock tires have a nice reflective strip, but I'm not seeing that option on many replacements, unless they are Schwalbe e-bike tires which I think are overkill for a bike as light as mine. Are you aware of any good options with the reflective strip?
3. The Axis wheels have middling reviews, so I'm open to changing those as well. What do you suggest? Should I consider a tubeless setup?

Thank you!
Old 02-09-23, 10:51 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Hi - Another question about my 2019 Sirrus Expert Carbon: The tires are getting worn and I'm researching options.

The stocks wheels are 700C Axis Experts with 21mm internal width, and the stock tires are 30mm in width.

1. Most of the higher-rated tire option only come in 28mm and 32mm. Which should I choose? I suppose I am more interested in comfort than speed, but at the same time I figure 28mm is a standard for a reason. Or have I missed a nice tire that comes in 30mm?
2. The stock tires have a nice reflective strip, but I'm not seeing that option on many replacements, unless they are Schwalbe e-bike tires which I think are overkill for a bike as light as mine. Are you aware of any good options with the reflective strip?
3. The Axis wheels have middling reviews, so I'm open to changing those as well. What do you suggest? Should I consider a tubeless setup?

Thank you!
Can't help at all with the reflective strip question, but that aside you really, really can't go wrong with Specialized's own Roubaix Pro 2Bliss Ready tire. I've been using these for years now: 30/32 (that is, they have a typical '30' tread area with a typical 32 casing), light, fast, durable, and supple (comfortable). Just one suggestion. If interested: https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/ro...ext=00016-2162

Wheels? I don't know. I have the same wheels on my '19 Sirrus X Comp (now the X 5.0) -- pretty much your bike in a 1x version. They are certainly a little heavier than necessary, but they've so far been durable and have stayed true/smooth running (hubs, which are sealed cartridge). Most of the negative stuff about 'em on the interwebz has to do with the earlier iterations with Specialized's stupid SCS hub system, now thankfully consigned to the bin.

I often think of changing the wheels, but so far haven't been bothered actually to do it! Tubeless? That's really up to you, I think? If the thought of sealant etc. doesn't bother you, then by all means. There are definite advantages, I believe. Maybe others will chime in. Me -- I'm perfectly happy with lightweight tubes/the Roubaix tires.

TL;DR: I think the most noticeable change you could make -- really noticeable -- would be the change from those stock Espoir Sport/60 TPI/wire bead to something much higher quality, like the Roubaix or similar.
Old 02-09-23, 04:45 PM
harmonica2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires

Originally Posted by badger1
Can't help at all with the reflective strip question, but that aside you really, really can't go wrong with Specialized's own Roubaix Pro 2Bliss Ready tire. I've been using these for years now: 30/32 (that is, they have a typical '30' tread area with a typical 32 casing), light, fast, durable, and supple (comfortable). Just one suggestion.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. A local bike shop has these tires on sale, so I just ordered a pair. I'll share my experience in 100 miles!
Old 02-10-23, 11:21 AM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
I don't see a Sirrus or X 5.0 on Specialized website .
Is there one coming or any other Sirrus / X for 2023 ?
Old 02-18-23, 08:44 AM
Spacemaster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
I don't see a Sirrus or X 5.0 on Specialized website .
Is there one coming or any other Sirrus / X for 2023 ?
Specialized will update their line late this year for 2024
Likes For Spacemaster:
Old 03-02-23, 11:52 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Did you upgrade your stock Sirrus Saddle ?
Yes, I know it's personal but would like to hear from other riders .
Brooks B-17 anyone ?
Old 03-05-23, 03:36 PM
harmonica2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add Reflective Tape to the Rims?

Has anyone successfully added reflective pin-striping to the rims? I replaced my stock tires, but now I need some side visibility because the new tires don't have the reflective stripe. I ordered some Nori Lights, but my first attempt to adhere the phosphorescent tape to the Axis Expert rims failed. Perhaps the rims have some kind of Teflon coating that defeats the adhesive?
Old 04-17-23, 12:37 PM
toni2198

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2019 Sirrus Pro Carbon

Hi all,

Total newbie and new to this forum, I'm 39 looking to get back on the bike to improve my overall health and fitness

I have the opportunity to purchase a Specialized 2019 Sirrus Pro Carbon with future shock hybrid bike that's hardly been used, virtually new, in full working order

At the time, the pro model was the range topping model with a price tag of $2,700! followed by the Expert and the Elite model

The pro model is being offered to me for sale for $870 Is this a good buy or would you recommend something else at this price point?

I understand today's equivalent to the above mentioned bike would be the Sirrus 6.0, having compared both using 99spokes.com, I can't see much difference between them

Does anyone have any personal experiences of the pro model? If so your feedback, pros and cons would be appreciated

Last edited by toni2198; 04-17-23 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-17-23, 02:12 PM
900ss

Bikes: 1987 Team Allez (Tesch), 2020 Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO, 2023 Turbo Levo S-Works, 2021 Turbo Levo SL Carbon Expert

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Hi Toni:

I had a 2020 Sirrus carbon, it was a fantastic bike. I would jump all over this deal if I was in the market for one.
Old 04-21-23, 01:49 PM
TigerG

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Changing gearing ??

Hi All,

Has anyone changed the gearing on their 2018'ish Carbon Expert ??

I've always thought the bike was over geared for a hybrid, and I've always struggled going up steep hills, to the point where I have to get off and push (I'm in my 50's ). I'm changing the rear cassette from an 11/32 to an 11/34 in the hope that it will help. I think I read somewhere through these pages a good while back that this could be done, but if that doesn't make the difference, I'm going to try and go from a 48/32 chain ring set to a 46/30.

I'm slowly going through all 70 pages of the Sirrus thread, so if anyone can help, it would save me a trawl.

Cheers me dears,
Graeme.
Likes For TigerG:
Old 04-25-23, 05:30 PM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TigerG
Hi All,

Has anyone changed the gearing on their 2018'ish Carbon Expert ??

I've always thought the bike was over geared for a hybrid, and I've always struggled going up steep hills, to the point where I have to get off and push (I'm in my 50's ). I'm changing the rear cassette from an 11/32 to an 11/34 in the hope that it will help. I think I read somewhere through these pages a good while back that this could be done, but if that doesn't make the difference, I'm going to try and go from a 48/32 chain ring set to a 46/30.

I'm slowly going through all 70 pages of the Sirrus thread, so if anyone can help, it would save me a trawl.

Cheers me dears,
Graeme.
11-36 will work and be the better option, you wouldn't notice the difference between 32 and 34 much. Cheers
Old 04-26-23, 10:18 AM
TigerG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
11-36 will work and be the better option, you wouldn't notice the difference between 32 and 34 much. Cheers
thanks for the reply

looking back through the Sirrus thread, looks like I asked the question before

I'm in the process of fitting an 11/34 cassette, so will report back when I've tried my nemesis hill with it. Hopefully, it’ll just be a case of adjusting the b screw to get the jockey wheel away from the cassette ??

if that doesn’t work, I’ll look into a 46/30 chainring.

Cheers
Old 04-28-23, 05:37 AM
TigerG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well.....I put the new 105 11/34 cassette on, as well as a new chain, and Praxis 48/32 Buzz chain rings. It all works a treat, and I didn't have to do any adjustments apart from the "b" screw on the rear derailleur.

Unfortunately, as jdogg111 predicted, it didn't make much of a difference and I was still beaten by my nemesis hill . I can feel the difference a bit on less steep hills, but at 100kg, I've always struggled up hill, and it doesn't get any easier with age.

I daren't go for the 11/36 option, as I'm not sure the rear derailleur and chain will take it .

As Praxis don't make a 46/30 chain ring set. If I went down that route, I'd have to replace the bottom bracket, crank arms and chain rings. And I don't know if it's worth that cost for the gains I'd get ??

Cheers,
Graeme.
Old 04-28-23, 03:09 PM
TMassimo

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon '16

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
Did you upgrade your stock Sirrus Saddle ?
Yes, I know it's personal but would like to hear from other riders .
Brooks B-17 anyone ?
I recently upgraded to this: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...ng-road-saddle

I really don't like the look of this saddle on the bike, at all - it's big and ugly - but it provides a more comfy ride, so it stays.
Old 05-20-23, 06:30 AM
cemark

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SE

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been looking for a Sirrus X 5.0 2022 model size M but couldnt find any. I found a good deal for a second hand in great condition but size L.
I am. 1,72 (5"7) with inseam of 780mm. Should i just keep looking or can i make it work with size L.
My current bike (flat bar Salsa Vaya )has 363mm reach and 609mm stack. So stack and reach wise size L of Sirrus is not so different than what i have been riding but there is a 40mm difference (Sirrus is higher).
I dont want to try the new Sirrus X as i didnt like the looks of it and cant find any carbon flatbar bicycle that fits my needs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.