Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestion for dogs chasing you?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Suggestion for dogs chasing you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-22, 03:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
That first bear? It didn't know you were there. Second bear was curious what was coming up the road, but it and the third bear didn't care.

The one that came up to 6-10' from me? I was too concerned with the bear to get a camera out. And my close encounter? That's a story for in-person over pizza and beer!
Actually, I spooked the first one. Look at the creek. You can see ripples. He was just down the trail embankment. He heard me, jumped in the water and swam across. Gave me time to stop and get out the camera. I nearly wiped out doing that.

Second guy didn’t see me until I shouted “Yesssss!” He stopped to check me out. Again, it gave me time to get out the camera.

Third guy took off when he saw us.

The day before I saw No. 1 I came face to face at about 25’ with a huge one as I was leaving camp just before sunrise. Easily 600 lbs. Probably more. He had raided the campground dumpsters. He realized what a bad ass I am and slinked away. Somewhere I have a photo of the raided dumpsters and the big pile of scat he left behind. There was a smaller pile near my tent. He had likely passed by while I was sleeping.

I have seen at least two others while riding on tour.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-07-22, 03:58 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
My suggestion for dogs chasing me?

Go home and be a good boy...
You or the dogs?
Old 11-07-22, 06:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Watched this bear stare at me 10' in front of me coming out of my deer stand after dark. After a few "go on bear get out of here" he did and went right at the split where I went left. Why I stay loaded on the walk in and out.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Actually, I spooked the first one. Look at the creek. You can see ripples. He was just down the trail embankment. He heard me, jumped in the water and swam across. Gave me time to stop and get out the camera. I nearly wiped out doing that.

Second guy didn’t see me until I shouted “Yesssss!” He stopped to check me out. Again, it gave me time to get out the camera.

Third guy took off when he saw us.

The day before I saw No. 1 I came face to face at about 25’ with a huge one as I was leaving camp just before sunrise. Easily 600 lbs. Probably more. He had raided the campground dumpsters. He realized what a bad ass I am and slinked away. Somewhere I have a photo of the raided dumpsters and the big pile of scat he left behind. There was a smaller pile near my tent. He had likely passed by while I was sleeping.

I have seen at least two others while riding on tour.
About 35 yrs ago I was in a campground in the Great Smoky Mtns NP. In the middle of the night, a black bear came into my camp to raid my cooler. Of course, I had always heard that black bears are scared of humans, so I waved my arms and yelled "Get the hell out of here."

Bear came towards me, so I ran away while shouting "Okay, I'll get the hell out of here!"

The ranger was in his residence, watching TV at 1am -- which did not seem very ranger-like. I knocked on the door, told him what had happened, and with a totally straight face he asked, "What did the bear look like?" I mean, shoot, it's a black bear and it's the middle of the night.

My response: "Give me a rifle and I'll come back with a detailed description." Apparently, they had a 'problem bear' that kept coming into the campground - had lost it's fear of humans. They flew him 50 miles away, and he came back. They flew him 100 miles away, and now he had apparently come back again. If it was him, he was gonna get killed. I felt bad for ratting him out.
Old 11-07-22, 10:02 PM
Airfehr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts

Bear you say.

BTW. A visible cooler in bear country tantamount to free beer sign at a biker fest.
Likes For Airfehr:
Old 11-07-22, 10:15 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I don’t ride roads anymore and don’t see many dogs. Back in the 70s and early 80s, I did tens of thousands of solo miles on rural highways in our area and never got bitten by any of the dogs.

Sometimes they were just curious and sometimes barking to protect their turf.

Occasionally a dog would be confrontational but one or more of: 1) excess speed, 2) loud yelling or 3) brandishing a long Silca frame pump with the solid steel Campy head, always managed to fend them off. YMMV.

Otto
Old 11-08-22, 05:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
About 35 yrs ago I was in a campground in the Great Smoky Mtns NP. In the middle of the night, a black bear came into my camp to raid my cooler. Of course, I had always heard that black bears are scared of humans, so I waved my arms and yelled "Get the hell out of here."

Bear came towards me, so I ran away while shouting "Okay, I'll get the hell out of here!"

The ranger was in his residence, watching TV at 1am -- which did not seem very ranger-like. I knocked on the door, told him what had happened, and with a totally straight face he asked, "What did the bear look like?" I mean, shoot, it's a black bear and it's the middle of the night.
similarly, about 20 years ago, while camping riverside, with Wifey, the kids & another family, we were told to lock up our food since a bear has been snooping around. um OK so we put everything in our truck, or so we thought.

while the family was sleeping I heard rustling outside, I guessed it was the bear, not sure what to do, I unzipped the tent zipper real fast & real loud & then zipped it back up real fast & real loud. then I heard the animal run away.

in the morning I went out to find we left a paper bag on the picnic table, with a plastic bag of mini bagels. the animal tore it all open &ate the bagels. I looked around for tracks & sure enough saw bear tracks. small by all comparisons. I guess I took pics of the tracks, pre-digital. no idea where they are

so glad the encounter went the way it did. I really was caught off-guard, with "what to do". obviously we messed up leaving the bag of bagels out
Old 11-08-22, 05:19 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Has the OP come back and engaged in the discussion they started?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-08-22, 11:05 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
When I was a teenager, every day a black dog would chase and try to attack me as I rode by. My dad told me to carry a squirt gun filled with bleach and squirt the dog. I tried it and the dog stopped in his tracks. I never saw the black dog again.

I let my guard down after that and ended up getting chased and attacked while riding my bike not long after though. I didn't recognize that white dog.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-08-22, 11:18 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Bleach in the eyes could cause blindness. You may have permanently blinded the dog and that’s why you never saw it again. I would think vinegar would be equally effective but not as caustic.

Old 11-08-22, 11:32 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Bleach in the eyes could cause blindness. You may have permanently blinded the dog and that’s why you never saw it again. I would think vinegar would be equally effective but not as caustic.
I don’t think that’s what he meant 🤣🤣
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 11-08-22, 02:40 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,056 Posts
ofajen is on the right track, or at least one that is under-represented in this thread. A full-sized frame pump is immediately available, works pretty well, and the wind will never blow it back into your face. A Silca pump with a steel Campy head is good old-school solution, but a more modern all-metal Zefal HPX pump is even better. Mini-pumps are worse than useless for this application.

I've never been bitten, and it's been 20 years +/- since I have had an unfriendly dog encounter. The last one, I watched Fido come tearing down the driveway out of a house/yard in the country and go after a rider about 150 yards ahead of me (I yelled to warn the guy - because of the wind, he couldn't hear me). That rider appeared to escape without nothing more than a good scare, and when the dog spotted me, he retreated up the driveway to reload, keeping an eagle eye on me as I approached. I got my pump in my dog-side hand (left in this case) and held it out where Fido could see it. He clearly knew what it was, or at least that it would function as a club. He held his ground and gave the stink-eye as I rode past, but kept his distance. No doubt in my mind some other cyclist had introduced him Mr. Silca or Mr. Zefal before.

I carry a full-sized frame pump and some CO2, mostly for belt-and-suspenders flat-fixing security, but I stand (or ride) ready to use the pump for dog discouragement. I hope I never have to again.
Old 11-08-22, 03:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
On a charity ride recently I tagged onto a large group of riders, mostly from two of the larger cycling clubs here. A few times we road past some barking dogs and the actions of the cyclist were more dangerous to be around than were the dogs. In one case the dogs were behind a fence, yet still it disrupted the orderly proceeding of the group.

Though riding with them was enjoyable, if this is the way they always behave around dogs and other perceived threats, then I'd be scared, but not of the dog!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-08-22, 06:00 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts

Old 11-08-22, 06:23 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Hmmm, dogs chasing? Probably a good idea to vary the route home from your shift at the meat packing plant.
Old 11-16-22, 04:23 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Usually a "git cho ass home," does the job. I thought one was gonna chase me a few nights ago, but it ran away... then another one that wanted to chase it, stopped right in front of me, and I almost ran it over. First dog made a wise choice, the stupid choice woulda gotten it pistol whipped.
Old 11-16-22, 06:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes

My dad told me to use bare spray, but the syringe full of Nair was ineffective.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-16-22, 06:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Hmmm, dogs chasing? Probably a good idea to vary the route home from your shift at the meat packing plant.

A wise man once suggested avoiding eating tarantula meat or dressing like a bumble bee.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-16-22, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
A wise man once suggested avoiding eating tarantula meat or dressing like a bumble bee.
Hah! Who was that? Can't remember his name.
Old 11-16-22, 10:52 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

failed to read the last sentence, so you are correct

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-16-22, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

failed to read the last sentence, so you are correct
You're definitely not the first guy to zone out before the ending of a shaggy dog story.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-21-22, 10:51 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
When I was a teenager, every day a black dog would chase and try to attack me as I rode by. My dad told me to carry a squirt gun filled with bleach and squirt the dog. I tried it and the dog stopped in his tracks. I never saw the black dog again.

I let my guard down after that and ended up getting chased and attacked while riding my bike not long after though. I didn't recognize that white dog.

That's too funny.....
Likes For 308jerry:
Old 11-21-22, 10:55 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're definitely not the first guy to zone out before the ending of a shaggy dog story.
I remember going to see Disney's "The Shaggy D.A." in 1976.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-21-22, 11:33 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Dog exploitation! So foul! Or canine

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-21-22, 12:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
My suggestion for dogs chasing me?

Go home and be a good boy...
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You or the dogs?
My question on this whole thread - are these suggestions for us riders or the dogs chasing?

And a fun story of a silent chase by a really fast dog - the apex of my racing years. Mid summer. Race bike, training wheels, club race sewups. I was riding 20 miles west of Boston through the woods of far west Lexington. Headed down a hill I'd nver seen before. Crossed a large house set well back form the road. As I crossed the walkway, a dog saw me and arose from the front steps. I poured it on. Looked over when I reached the property limit. That dogs was just a few steps back! Immediately beside me. Then just paced me down the hill, never getting his nose forward of my BB. No bark, no growl, not even heavy breathing.

Hill leveled off, he turned around and trotted home. Work done. And the whole time, both of us knew he could surge ahead and beat me over any finish line. I went on truly humbled. Years later my neighbor brought home the same type dog. Whippet. I've had a soft spot for them ever since. Classiest bike chase ever.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-21-22, 12:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Sixth grade, I used to come home on my 3 speed. At the bottom of the hill lived a dalmatian that always chased. Outrunning it was impossible with the hill but one day I lured it into the telephone pole. Never chased me or others again.

Another racing days story - early March. Long ride to the NH border with my riding partner. (We'd turn off the east-west state rt and up a very quiet rural road to the unmarked border, turn around and head home.) About a mile from the border we pass a big tree in front of an old farm house. Dog under the tree hears us, raises its head. "Bikes! I chase bikes." So this dog that hasn't taken move fast since last summer gets up and waddles after us. Hilarious. We were laughing so hard we could barely stay in front of it.

A few minutes later we returned, Again dog hear us and thought the immediate "Bikes!" Looks. Lays his head back down and pretends he never saw us. (This story and the one the post above took place the same year. The bookends to my dog chases.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-21-22 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Added fat dog story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.