Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Leather ADGA Saddle Restoration

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-07-22, 10:23 AM
sigster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hello,
Recently got my hands on an old Peugeot (posted on here before about buying a front rack). I quickly replaced the saddle, but I kind of want to restore the thing. The leather is dry and old (from the 70s), and I'm just wondering what to do with it. I've been told to use some leather soap, but I've never done anything with leather so I'm not sure how to use that.
Thanks in advance
Old 09-07-22, 10:47 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by sigster
Hello,
Recently got my hands on an old Peugeot (posted on here before about buying a front rack). I quickly replaced the saddle, but I kind of want to restore the thing. The leather is dry and old (from the 70s), and I'm just wondering what to do with it. I've been told to use some leather soap, but I've never done anything with leather so I'm not sure how to use that.
Thanks in advance
paging @rhm
Old 09-07-22, 12:21 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Hello,
Thanks in advance
It really depends on the condition of the leather, and "dry" doesn't tell us much. I don't spose you can post a photo or two?
Old 09-07-22, 12:38 PM
sigster

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
It really depends on the condition of the leather, and "dry" doesn't tell us much. I don't spose you can post a photo or two?
I can't post photos on the forum or open my PMs until I have done 10 or more posts.
Old 09-07-22, 12:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
I can't post photos on the forum or open my PMs until I have done 10 or more posts.
You can post some to the album on your homepage and they may get moved here.

In the meantime welcome aboard, glad you found us, you're in the right place.

You need 5 posts X 2 days for 10 to post pics here, go around, say Hi AND comment on any threads you like.
Old 09-07-22, 12:49 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Yeah, no worries, i can wait....
Old 09-07-22, 01:04 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 217 Posts
Following/piggybacking as I just got an old Dawes touring bike with a Brooks B.17 that may be beyond saving. Used up nearly half a tin of Kiwi saddle soap (on a damp t-shirt) and it would still turn the rag coffee brown. Went to a stiff-ish brush from there, but that's starting to remove surface. Should I just seal the gunk somehow? I don't have Proofide at hand, was going to use Timberland "waxed leather protector" which is beeswax and coconut oil. Well, the current formulation is, however this tin might be 20 years old.
Old 09-07-22, 01:22 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by EVlove
Following/piggybacking as I just got an old Dawes touring bike with a Brooks B.17 that may be beyond saving. Used up nearly half a tin of Kiwi saddle soap (on a damp t-shirt) and it would still turn the rag coffee brown. Went to a stiff-ish brush from there, but that's starting to remove surface. Should I just seal the gunk somehow? I don't have Proofide at hand, was going to use Timberland "waxed leather protector" which is beeswax and coconut oil. Well, the current formulation is, however this tin might be 20 years old.
You might have been better off going slower, sparingly to see how it responds.

I would encourage you to stop where you're at and wait a couple of days and see.

You can always ride them anyway but I would plan on it possibly being a display only saddle.

Wipe it down good and get any excess off for now and I would not plan on using anymore.
Old 09-07-22, 01:47 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Originally Posted by merziac
You might have been better off going slower, sparingly to see how it responds.

I would encourage you to stop where you're at and wait a couple of days and see.

You can always ride them anyway but I would plan on it possibly being a display only saddle.

Wipe it down good and get any excess off for now and I would not plan on using anymore.
Well, as long as it still turns a damp rag brown, my pants are not going on there, that's for sure. Disappointed to see that Brooks doesn't seem to offer a leather replacement service. If (and that's a big "if") I decide I want a traditional saddle, I'm leaning towards Selle Anatomica just because they do. The pseudo-Italian name bugs me but apart from that they seem a lot less snooty than Brooks.
Old 09-07-22, 02:53 PM
merziac

Well, as long as it still turns a damp rag brown, my pants are not going on there, that's for sure. Disappointed to see that Brooks doesn't seem to offer a leather replacement service. If (and that's a big "if") I decide I want a traditional saddle, I'm leaning towards Selle Anatomica just because they do. The pseudo-Italian name bugs me but apart from that they seem a lot less snooty than Brooks.
If you use black shorts for awhile they can often "burnish" it so it doesn't transfer as much, clear polish, elbow grease and a good horse hair brush can help quite a bit as well.

The other thing is heavy treatment causes the finish to come loose from the leather, especially when it has been dry and hard for a long time.

Like I said, I would encourage you to let it sit for couple days at least and see how it is after that, a damp rag at this point is going to pull color off the leather that has been treated because the bond has been softened.

These will put up with a lot, a heavy hand is usually not one.

I have a couple dozen Brooks saddles, many in regular use, old, very old, new, in between, broken in and not, etc. on and on.

Under typical use, a Brooks can easily last a lifetime, some of mine are over 40 years old and still going strong.

Brooks offers a 10 year warranty on a new one that will never be needed if it is even reasonably well cared for.
Old 09-07-22, 03:50 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
EVlove , rhm can recover your Brooks saddle and you can customize it in the process, if you so choose. Rudy's work is exceptional. He made me this Ideale which was his 10th saddle. Since he's way past 100+ at this point his skill level is even better.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-07-22, 04:25 PM
EVlove

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
EVlove , rhm can recover your Brooks saddle and you can customize it in the process, if you so choose. Rudy's work is exceptional. He made me this Ideale which was his 10th saddle. Since he's way past 100+ at this point his skill level is even better.

Yes, thanks, checked out his site right away from his link above. Impressed and delighted that someone is doing this and that it seems to be working for him. It's an option but probably overkill for my intended use at this time, which is short but intense rides. I'd prefer a slimmer shape than the B.17 anyway. Probably a toss-up between working out some kind of trade with him, or picking a used or B stock Selle Anatomica.
Old 09-07-22, 04:48 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
Disappointed to see that Brooks doesn't seem to offer a leather replacement service.
If you put yourself in their position then look at some of the considerations
  • the saddle frames have changed dimensions over the years, even with the same model number, so careful measurement and checking to determine if the leather stamps, leather molds and model stamps have been retained and are available
  • the frame quality may be compromised, so checking to determine whether it is suitable
  • the cleaning/refurbishment of the saddle frame to meet legal obligations
  • the time taken locating the stamping dies to cut the saddle top, installing then using, then returning to the storage area
  • the time taken to track the individual leather top whilst it undergoes immersion in the water
  • the time taken to locate the moulding dies, installing them, using them and then returning them to the storage area
  • the time taken to track the individual saddle top during the drying process
  • the time taken to locate, install then use, then return the model stamps to the storage area,
  • the time taken to ensure the appropriate rivets are used
  • the time taken to invoice and prepare for postage the refurbished saddle
  • the time taken to ensure that the payment has been made.
I do not think many would be prepared to pay the cost, which would be substantially more than the cost of buying a new one. So I can understand the business decision not to refurbish existing saddle frames. Supplying a new leather top for the customer to arrange for its installation would also present problems in ensuring the frame matches the existing tops produced, and then the capacity of the end user to install the rivets without the installation hardware.
If you want a recover then Rudi does them. In Australia, there is Paul Watson. He does outstanding work, and museum quality. Have a look at some of his work on his Facebook page. But you can buy a new one far, far cheaper. Or you could put a new leather cover on it yourself as I do. Leather forming, then riveting. But it is still cheaper to buy a new one.
Likes For Big Block:
Old 09-07-22, 05:47 PM
merziac

+++++++++^^^^^^^^ a bazillion.
Old 09-07-22, 10:58 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Disappointed to see that Brooks doesn't seem to offer a leather replacement service.
Here's a B-17 replacement service for $104.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20408254724...rfjYA&LH_BIN=1
Old 09-08-22, 07:44 AM
EVlove

Good grief folks, it's a bike saddle, not a religion.

This isn't even my thread so I'll keep this brief:
-My bike, my butt, my money = my decisions.
-Try not to confuse lack of post count with lack of experience.
-Selle Anatomica offers new leather for $100 ($75 if you buy a second skin at time of original purchase). I'm aware that it's a very different design that's inherently shorter-lived but I just don't buy the argument that a replacement service would end up costing more than a new saddle.

Anyway, the B.17 will be sunning itself in the garden today, upside down. I gave the underside a second coating of the Timberland product and this should help it soak in. For the top, I'm thinking I can ride it with a soft cloth under a rain cover for a while and see how bad of a mess it makes.
Old 09-08-22, 07:47 AM
EVlove

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Here's a B-17 replacement service for $104.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20408254724...rfjYA&LH_BIN=1
That link is for a new saddle at $80 and I'm not sure it's legit.
Old 09-08-22, 07:54 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts

This isn't even my thread so I'll keep this brief:
-My bike, my butt, my money = my decisions.
-Try not to confuse lack of post count with lack of experience.
-Selle Anatomica offers new leather for $100 ($75 if you buy a second skin at time of original purchase). I'm aware that it's a very different design that's inherently shorter-lived but I just don't buy the argument that a replacement service would end up costing more than a new saddle.

Anyway, the B.17 will be sunning itself in the garden today, upside down. I gave the underside a second coating of the Timberland product and this should help it soak in. For the top, I'm thinking I can ride it with a soft cloth under a rain cover for a while and see how bad of a mess it makes.
No one has told you what to do, and no one has told you not to buy a Selle.

Last edited by Germany_chris; 09-08-22 at 11:22 AM.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-08-22, 10:56 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
That link is for a new saddle at $80 and I'm not sure it's legit.
It's legit.
Old 09-08-22, 02:56 PM
EVlove

Scenes from today's fun in the sun. I like how the underside came out. That's two applications which produced a nice thin waxy layer. It came to me with the tension screw practically all in like this, which seems odd after 40+ years and who knows how many miles.

Not happy yet with the business side:

Before

During, showing the Timberland treatment. It's an old tin but I doubt the stuff has changed. Made in Ireland which makes me think it's originally for horse tack.

After three applications

It still seemed blotchy, dry and dull, so I gave it another coat and that's where I'll leave it for now. Ignore the spots near the two "corner" rivets, that's some kind of old glue stain that I haven't been able to remove completely.

Last edited by EVlove; 09-08-22 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For EVlove:
Old 09-08-22, 03:02 PM
EVlove

And by the way, the metal Brooks tag bending out like that, does that mean the leather has shrunk?
Old 09-08-22, 04:57 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
For really dried out saddles, I’ve had good results with this stuff:

Old 09-08-22, 06:03 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
And by the way, the metal Brooks tag bending out like that, does that mean the leather has shrunk?
Don't read anything into that. Shrinking is far less of a problem than stretching. Sometimes the rivets just pop from daily use and the metal is quite thin to boot.

OK, call it a cult

I just don't buy the argument that a replacement service would end up costing more than a new saddle.
If there was money to be made, someone would be doing it. There's a few members on this list who've done it well and they can speak to truth.

Last edited by clubman; 09-08-22 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-17-22, 04:25 PM
EVlove

So, while our OP apparently hasn't been back to the forum in a while, I'm happy to report that my Brooks carried me for 32 miles/50 km of pretty varied New England roads today, comfortably. And I don't wear padded shorts, either.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that this represents a lifetime distance record for myself, and I'm, oh, right around 50 years past my training wheels I suppose. Just had no interest in longer rides at all when I was younger, the bike was strictly for commuting. So you may imagine that comfort in the saddle was my no. 1 concern planning today's trip. Turns out my knees start complaining long before that would become an issue, still dialing in saddle height. But the real problem today was that I foolishly trusted the 40+ year old spokes on the Dawes for this ride. Broke one (drive side rear, naturally) 20 miles into the trip and my wonderful wife came to rescue me with the Zizzo folder in the trunk. Swapped the Brooks over and kept going!
Old 09-19-22, 06:46 AM
sigster

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i have returned! I have been very busy working on finding employment, volunteering, and hanging out with friends. Apologies for the delay.
I also couldn'tfind a particularly interesting thread to post on, so I've been waiting for that as well. I think I've just about hit 10 posts though, so I'm going to try and post photos again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.