Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestion for dogs chasing you?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-06-22, 08:09 AM
ADAM31

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in Tennessee and we have a considerable number of dogs that like to chase cyclists in the area or maybe they just like to chase me. I have been bitten by one particular dog and luckily I was able to use my water bottle hitting him on the head in order for him to let go of my foot. Any suggestions or something you use to keep dogs away?
Old 11-06-22, 08:13 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Lots of threads with lots of suggestions about this.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-06-22, 09:02 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Did you call law enforcement on the dog that bit you? If not, that is step number 1.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-06-22, 09:15 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
A bit of a pain to carry but hornet/wasp spray will temporarily blind the dog, can fire a fair distance and should cure the behavior. As stated, a call to LE is truly the best first choice but my tolerance for this is about zero after a couple of inexcusable incidents.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 11-06-22, 09:45 AM
Charles Lathe

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
I talk to the dogs. I ask, “What are you doing? I am supposed to be here.” I tell them they are not supposed to be in the road or that they are going to be in a lot of trouble if they don’t go home. Most of them seem kind of confused by this and for me it works better than yelling at them. A few of them are just plain mean dogs. but most seem to respond to talk better than to yelling. We have a lot of loose dogs in North Carolina.
Likes For Charles Lathe:
Old 11-06-22, 10:59 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
A bit of a pain to carry but hornet/wasp spray will temporarily blind the dog, can fire a fair distance and should cure the behavior. As stated, a call to LE is truly the best first choice but my tolerance for this is about zero after a couple of inexcusable incidents.
And if you get caught using that on anything but insects, you're legally liable. Just read the label on it.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 11-06-22, 11:02 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Originally Posted by Charles Lathe
I talk to the dogs. I ask, “What are you doing? I am supposed to be here.” I tell them they are not supposed to be in the road or that they are going to be in a lot of trouble if they don’t go home. Most of them seem kind of confused by this and for me it works better than yelling at them. A few of them are just plain mean dogs. but most seem to respond to talk better than to yelling. We have a lot of loose dogs in North Carolina.
I did that once; was grinding up a steep little hill and this dog came charging out of a yard barking like mad. No way I could outrun or outmaneuver it, so I just stopped, patted my leg and called to it to come to me. Dog totally freaked and sprinted for the house.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 11-06-22, 11:07 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
And if you get caught using that on anything but insects, you're legally liable. Just read the label on it.
In a situation of an aggressive dog threatening harm I’m not one bit concerned with that.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 11-06-22, 11:19 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
In a situation of an aggressive dog threatening harm I’m not one bit concerned with that.
Then use something legal for self-defense, like pepper spray, or buy a little water pistol and fill it with grapefruit juice.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 11-06-22, 11:48 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
I carry HALT pepper spray. I feel like the best way to confront an aggressive dog is to get off the bike keeping it as a barrier and using whatever means necessary to defend yourself. I do not recommend trying to outrun them. It's a good way to get hurt worse than a dog bite.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 11-06-22, 11:59 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAM31
I live in Tennessee and we have a considerable number of dogs that like to chase cyclists in the area or maybe they just like to chase me. I have been bitten by one particular dog and luckily I was able to use my water bottle hitting him on the head in order for him to let go of my foot. Any suggestions or something you use to keep dogs away?

...when I lived in East TN, this was a problem for me as a runner. I carried a small squirt gun filled with household ammonia. You hit the offending dog in the eye or on his nose. They still bark, and they still chase you after this experience (which they think is their job), but they never came close enough to get squirted again. I imagine this would work as a cyclist, as well, but you might have to dismount to aim it.
Old 11-06-22, 12:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Several things work for me. Most of the time I just pay them no attention as all they do is just run along side and bark. They tire quickly if I'm doing any decent speed at all.

And for all the dogs I've stopped and come to a halt, they cease barking immediately and some act puzzled. Some come up and sniff me and I might rub them behind the ears or on the neck. Not the top of their head. I've been told that's a no-no for petting strange dogs.

I've never had a dog bite me whether on the bike or any other time. If I was bitten while riding as you describe, then I'd at least report it and file a complaint to the local sheriff. Might be nothing becomes of that, but if that dog and/or address acquires a history of such reports then it might help someone out in the future.
Old 11-06-22, 01:22 PM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts
My buddy has an air horn, dogs usually back up.
Likes For striker65:
Old 11-06-22, 02:13 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
I think I'd take my chances on the legal system on the minuscule chance I was caught, rather than the legal system on finding an owner and insurance after getting bit.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-06-22, 02:26 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I had problems years ago, and Halt works as advertised. I kept it clipped to my hydration pack shoulder strap for a quick draw (essential). One tiny village on the only pavement for miles around had a mean dog who had been hit with Halt numerous times. He was maniacal in his aggressive barking, but he kept about 15 feet away from any cyclist.
Old 11-06-22, 03:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
I usually wave and say “Hi, buddy!”
Old 11-06-22, 03:49 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Lots of threads with lots of suggestions about this.
Dog threads are the new waving threads.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-06-22, 03:59 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Dog threads are the new waving threads.
... and they never end well.
Old 11-06-22, 04:07 PM
RH Clark

I usually wave and say “Hi, buddy!”
You must not live in The Dirty South. We had a middle-aged woman die from dog attack here locally, and then the pack also killed the official lady that was sent to investigate. 90% of the barkers and nippers I encounter are not really all that dangerous and a "HI, buddy!" works just fine. I assume we are only concerned here about the other 10% that can actually be life threatening.
Old 11-06-22, 04:12 PM
Chicken_fat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAM31
Knock on wood, I usually talk to them and so far they just like to make a bunch of noise and run along side until I’m past their area.

I have pepper spray but haven’t used it. I did check with animal control and they were very pro cyclist and had no issue with using it if need be.
Old 11-06-22, 04:36 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by RH Clark
You must not live in The Dirty South. We had a middle-aged woman die from dog attack here locally, and then the pack also killed the official lady that was sent to investigate. 90% of the barkers and nippers I encounter are not really all that dangerous and a "HI, buddy!" works just fine. I assume we are only concerned here about the other 10% that can actually be life threatening.
People have been killed by dogs everywhere, including in my home town where I have lived nearly all my life. I got attacked by a dog delivering newspapers when I was a teenager. I still usually say “Hi, buddy” these days or just keep riding and don’t react. Never been harmed by a dog while riding a bicycle, and I’ve ridden across the U.S. and then some.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-06-22 at 06:43 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-06-22, 06:39 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Try waving and keep on riding!
gm
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 11-06-22, 07:59 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I've never had a dog bite me...
Me neither, but I've had two quite small dogs come off the side of the road full speed into my front wheel. Got the scars on my legs to prove it.
Old 11-06-22, 08:10 PM
RH Clark

People have been killed by dogs everywhere, including in my home town where I have lived nearly all my life. I got attacked by a dog delivering newspapers when I was a teenager. I still usually say “Hi, buddy” these days or just keep riding and don’t react. Never been harmed by a dog while riding a bicycle, and I’ve ridden across the U.S. and then some.
You have just been lucky. There are some out there that will pull you off. I've encountered hundreds that ran and barked, without incident, but I was also wrecked by a Pit that grabbed me. Some dogs will attack no matter how friendly you act, period.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 11-06-22, 08:36 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Things to try in order:
1. 53x11
2. Yell at the dog to go home.
3. Squirt them with your water bottle.
4. Use pepper gel (not spray which gets carried by the wind).
5. Use your bike frame as a weapon.
6. Roll up your sleeves and give the dog your best Ip Man fighting stance.
Likes For JW Fas:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.