Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I just read some of the vitriol.....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-22, 05:38 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 655 Posts

"when you hobby causes more stress than your job, time to find a new hobby."

well, I'm taking a 30 day break from all y'all.

Please note I've never once criticized anyone or their bikes. The one time I pointed out on a 1971 restoration that their FD had the safety lip, it was only because I was happy to trade one without the lip if it was important to them.

I've given away free stuff, postage paid, I've found deals for others and sometimes I've even offered sage advice.

Maybe Andy is right. In person, I'm more tolerable. On line, not so much. Whatever it is, I give up. Even my apologies are criticized.

If we meet in person, I will always have a fun bottle to share.

Please, don't respond to this.

Its one of those crazy sunny fall days when it feels much warmer out in the sun than the temp gauge suggests. Friends are watching the hound.

I'm going to go for a ride.
Old 11-10-22, 08:58 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
The C&V forum is mostly made up of C&Vers that have respectgful polite and courteous behavior, but like any other forums out there are a very few (fortunately) that seem to dwell on trying to start arguments between themselves (I th8nk out of some sort of superiority complex.) and other forum members.
You can usually tell what their intentions are when they post replies to your post that jist have enough of a hint of insult to try and get you riled up and start an argument. Through the years being a member of different forums, I learned not to take their bait and just totally ignore then no matter how nasty thry might be towards me or other forum members posting on a thread.
Eventually these immature people just give up and usually never post after I do, again.
I'm sure the guys doing this know I'm talking about them......
So if someone gets nasty in the forums towards you, just end any conversation with them by totally ignoring them....Just show them they are "persona non grata" to you.........
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 11-10-22, 09:45 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I've never understood why a person fed up with circumstances needs to announce they're going away.
Old 11-10-22, 10:04 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 819 Posts
Having been faced with walking away from several organizations with whom I had earlier invested vast quantities of blood, toil, tears, and sweat, all I can say is enjoy your time away, let everything settle, and come back on your terms and timetable.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 11-10-22, 11:03 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Illegitimi non carborundum -- Don't let the bastards grind you down. The friends you make and the knowledge you gain here are what matters. The haters do not, unless you allow them the privilege.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 11-10-22, 11:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
To paraphrase the late great Powers Boothe as Curly Bill Brocious in Tombstone, wishing safe journeys to Wyatt Earp: Fare thee well, fellow traveler, and flights of angels sing thee to thy glory.

And never forget, the lurkers support you in email.
Old 11-10-22, 11:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26391 Post(s)
Liked 10,366 Times in 7,197 Posts
...I thought I was pretty civil in your Campy Rally thread. Honestly, it's hard for me to be much nicer than that.
Old 11-10-22, 11:48 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I've never understood why a person fed up with circumstances needs to announce they're going away.
To get attention, and vent.

I never said anything to anybody when I walked away from this site for a few years.

If somebody is that annoying just block them.

This site does poor job of thoroughly blocking them though. I block someone I don't ever want to see them.

Still just block them.

I come on here mostly for pics of bikes, and pics in the touring sub forum of travel.

Last edited by StarBiker; 11-10-22 at 11:53 PM.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 11-11-22, 12:24 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Petty bickering is no fun to read.

I know a lot of people use the "ignore" function. I tried it for a bit on a couple o' dummies. I now no longer have anyone on ignore. It seemed wasted effort to sanitize or curate existence...a bit snowflake-y for my tastes.

I have a general rule to post no more than 3 posts per thread. It's not a bad rule.

No topic is *that* important.

Also if a thread already has more than 25 replies, anything of value has already been said. Further replies add no value. It's easy to just move on.

It's also easy to skip over the quoted blocks of text as two posters bicker over whose motivated reasoning & intentional miscomprehension reigns supreme. It's wasted hot air of little value & no content. It's best to skip to a new thread.

If ever you get the feeling that there is something you'd like to share, remember: The problem with teaching stupid people new things is they are still stupid...and now they think they know things!

This leads to the last of Base2's own personal gems of indisputable wisdom: Discretion is the better part of valor.

Enjoy your ride.
Catch you on the flip-side.
Base2

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-11-22, 09:17 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Seeing Rob trying to prop himself up his your goodbye thread by publicly announcing his good deeds to us and the "sage advice" he's provided has to be one of the most pathetic things I've read on this forum - topped only by his subtle appropriation of dear Greta as an excuse for his behavior.

We don't care how many good deeds you've done, what you own, or what you've given away. What matters is the person you've been to the rest of us here. I'm sure all of us would welcome you back when you are able to contribute in a positive manner and a productive one.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-11-22, 09:41 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I think if a person doesn't have a thick skin, they should reconsider participating in online forums
Old 11-11-22, 10:21 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
A few days to settle the nerves, if you need to, sure got for it. I haven't noticed anything that would ruffle my feathers.

The guy that flamed out was the dude that was pushing Mercet, now that was a different story.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 11-11-22, 10:29 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
It is the concern over hammered fenders.
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-11-22, 10:29 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
A few days to settle the nerves, if you need to, sure got for it. I haven't noticed anything that would ruffle my feathers.

The guy that flamed out was the dude that was pushing Mercet, now that was a different story.
You forget the Garlatti Guy.
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-11-22, 10:30 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
I think if a person doesn't have a thick skin, they should reconsider participating in online forums
I think there should be room here for everyone.

Basic human decency shouldn't have to be an act of rebellion.
Old 11-11-22, 10:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
This is the C&V forum- for many years it was the one place where people werent total jerks just to be jerks. It still largely is, to be clear.
Go to the General or Road forums and its filled with snark and dbaggery(I for sure join at times). Its filled with arguing over what amounts to semantics. Its filled with obvious trolls.

But this place? Well for the years I have been here, it has been a place of respect, help, and mutual enjoyment. It takes in all sorts of people- those who are strict restorers to those who keep only the frame and modernize everything else. That inherently makes those who participate pretty accepting and tolerant, especially since so many of us have bikes that are period correct and modernized, so we are able to see the benefits of all.
C&V seems to have for sure become a bit less tolerant and a bit more quick to snark, but even then, its lightyears better than other places.

People dont need to be dicks around here just because its a forum. They can absolutely be polite while still pushing back on a comment or narrative they disagree with. I will say that there are a few regulars on C&V who seem to have become less patient and more confrontational in as they have aged. It sucks, but its still a community I really love both passively and actively participating in.

^ I am not defending the OP or what the OP has said. My comments are not at all related to anything the OP has said, actually.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-11-22, 10:55 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
"when you hobby causes more stress than your job, time to find a new hobby."

well, I'm taking a 30 day break from all y'all.

Please note I've never once criticized anyone or their bikes. The one time I pointed out on a 1971 restoration that their FD had the safety lip, it was only because I was happy to trade one without the lip if it was important to them.

I've given away free stuff, postage paid, I've found deals for others and sometimes I've even offered sage advice.

Maybe Andy is right. In person, I'm more tolerable. On line, not so much. Whatever it is, I give up. Even my apologies are criticized.

If we meet in person, I will always have a fun bottle to share.

Please, don't respond to this.

Its one of those crazy sunny fall days when it feels much warmer out in the sun than the temp gauge suggests. Friends are watching the hound.
Good for you, take a break. What we don't like about others is oftentimes what we don't like about ourselves. You seem like a fairly highly stressed person, I would bet interaction with other stressed persons probably isn't healthy for you.
Listen to some music, pedal around (not at the same time, please)
Tune into some old Robin Williams records (Or Patsy Cline, nobody wails better)
Lastly, something that took me years to learn, is that your mental health is the most important thing you have. Everything good/bad in your life comes down to that. If something is affecting you so badly that you can't handle it anymore, that's your cue to do as you did.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 11-11-22, 10:56 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Why is the fork chrome?

you ask too many questions

included campy bye bye

rejected? Scoff

no. Never rejected.

$2.50

(https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nago-blue.html)

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-11-22, 11:00 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Why is the fork chrome?

you ask too many questions

included campy bye bye

rejected? Scoff

no. Never rejected.

$2.50

(https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nago-blue.html)
You take cheques?
Old 11-11-22, 11:01 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
You take cheques?
sorry no checks, only Best Western union.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-11-22, 11:37 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I think there should be room here for everyone.

Basic human decency shouldn't have to be an act of rebellion.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This is the C&V forum- for many years it was the one place where people werent total jerks just to be jerks. It still largely is, to be clear.
Go to the General or Road forums and its filled with snark and dbaggery(I for sure join at times). Its filled with arguing over what amounts to semantics. Its filled with obvious trolls.

But this place? Well for the years I have been here, it has been a place of respect, help, and mutual enjoyment. It takes in all sorts of people- those who are strict restorers to those who keep only the frame and modernize everything else. That inherently makes those who participate pretty accepting and tolerant, especially since so many of us have bikes that are period correct and modernized, so we are able to see the benefits of all.
C&V seems to have for sure become a bit less tolerant and a bit more quick to snark, but even then, its lightyears better than other places.

People dont need to be dicks around here just because its a forum. They can absolutely be polite while still pushing back on a comment or narrative they disagree with. I will say that there are a few regulars on C&V who seem to have become less patient and more confrontational in as they have aged. It sucks, but its still a community I really love both passively and actively participating in.

^ I am not defending the OP or what the OP has said. My comments are not at all related to anything the OP has said, actually.
Oh, I agree 100% with both comments. Some forums are more friendly than others and some parts of this one are usually devoid of snark. So my post was more a general statement than a reference to C&V. I spend time on C&V because I'm old and so are my bikes. Nether the bikes nor I are particularly classic or vintage.
Old 11-11-22, 12:01 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

I will say that there are a few regulars on C&V who seem to have become less patient and more confrontational in as they have aged. It sucks, but its still a community I really love both passively and actively participating in.
This is me, I know it, and furthermore understand it. I accept it, too. People change, sometimes not always for the better. But I try.

But yeah, I have little patience for certain things, and I know I'm not alone. We all have our personal limit regarding what we will put up with. Even so, my occasional loss of patience or grumpiness doesn't characterize my contributions here, they are merely facets. Flawed ones, yes, but we all gots flaws.

DD
Old 11-11-22, 12:11 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Patience with judgement calls over stem shifters.
Patience with personal pet peeves.
Patience with the criticism of others' handlebar adjustments.
Patience with the claim that bikes with fenders have to have bells.
Patience with the new-in-the-box-no-you-don't-get-to-see-it Eddy Merckx listing.
Patience with the co-op frame listing.
Patience with the cryptic blue Colnago "you ask too many questions" listing.
Patience with the triple listing of the blue Colnago.
Patience with the neighbor's house pics probably taken without permission.
Patience with the belief that if a guy looks homeless he's stolen a MASI.
Patience with 3TTT stems being beneath Cinelli.
Patience with "tell me about this MASI from nothing more than a bottom bracket pic."

I'm surprised he didn't start something about Confente

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-11-22, 12:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
This is me, I know it, and furthermore understand it. I accept it, too. People change, sometimes not always for the better. But I try.

But yeah, I have little patience for certain things, and I know I'm not alone. We all have our personal limit regarding what we will put up with. Even so, my occasional loss of patience or grumpiness doesn't characterize my contributions here, they are merely facets. Flawed ones, yes, but we all gots flaws.

DD
Well if it helps, you werent who was in mind when I typed that. But fair enough- accurate self assessment and awareness is something a lot of people lack so its cool to see when people are locked in.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-11-22, 01:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts

It takes a village, this is the bestest, damnest, onlyest place like this, IMO.

I love it here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.