Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

85 years old

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

85 years old

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 09:13 PM
Harold K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
85 years old

This morning I passed a guy riding a couple MPH slower than me. After and I passed he sped up and came up along side me and asked if I was from Chicago because I was wearing a Bears jacket, I told him no but my wife was born there and she bought the jacket for me. Anyway we started shooting the bull and in the process he tells me he is 85 years old. I couldn't believe it, he rode and looked like he was much younger. He told me he rode across the US when he was 63 averaging 109 miles a day. There are a couple other folks I see riding that are older than me (I'm 68) but they ride real slow, This guy moved right along, I was impressed, he was quite an inspiration.
Old 03-04-11, 09:21 PM
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool story
Old 03-04-11, 09:31 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Use it or lose it! I did a half marathon in January with an 86-year-old woman and an 88-year-old man. Both did their first half marathons when they were 81 years old.

It just goes to show you're never too old to take up a sport.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 03-04-11, 10:18 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I'm too old to take up bowling.

So, Harold, after your conversation, did you drop the guy?
Old 03-05-11, 07:09 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold K
This morning I passed a guy riding a couple MPH slower than me. After and I passed he sped up and came up along side me and asked if I was from Chicago because I was wearing a Bears jacket, I told him no but my wife was born there and she bought the jacket for me. Anyway we started shooting the bull and in the process he tells me he is 85 years old. I couldn't believe it, he rode and looked like he was much younger. He told me he rode across the US when he was 63 averaging 109 miles a day. There are a couple other folks I see riding that are older than me (I'm 68) but they ride real slow, This guy moved right along, I was impressed, he was quite an inspiration.
Posting this was a double inspiration!! IMO, we should all aim to get where the 85 year old rider is at!!
Old 03-05-11, 07:37 AM
alcanoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fitter you are and he sounds super-fit, the higher your probability of getting really old and maintaining that fitness. The top 20% most fit based on a standard test, have a factor of 10 greater of doing that over the bottom 20%. That's based on tests of some 43,000 people over many years.

There's a 75 year old who travels around doing these sanctioned 100 mile mountain bike races like Lead Ville (Colorado) and Tanasi/Ocoee (Tenn.) where I frequently ride.

Al
Old 03-05-11, 08:11 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You mean there is really HOPE!!

Great post, and thanks.
Old 03-05-11, 08:18 AM
Bare Feet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcanoe
The fitter you are and he sounds super-fit, the higher your probability of getting really old and maintaining that fitness. The top 20% most fit based on a standard test, have a factor of 10 greater of doing that over the bottom 20%. That's based on tests of some 43,000 people over many years.
Al, What test is that? ~Thanks
Old 03-05-11, 09:06 AM
alcanoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bare Feet
Al, What test is that? ~Thanks
The data was developed by the Cooper Aerobics Center and it's reported on page 150 of Physical Activity and Health Edited by Bouchard, Blair and Haskell, published 2007. https://www.amazon.com/Physical-Activ...9335947&sr=1-1

And I got it wrong. It was "only" 25,341 men. I got my trials confused.

Cooper is the guy responsible for the jogging craze starting in the '70s after he did his research on 5000 Air force Volunteers and published a book. He's still the aerobics guru and has testified before congressional committees.

Our family doctor of that era had worked with Cooper on that research at nearby Tyndall AFB. Cooper made the Big $'s and started the Aerobics center. Unfortunately, you can't find their data in the open literature, but since I read physiology books as a hobby, I came across it in the book.

My present and relatively new doctor, an old guy like me kept harassing me about my getting my hart rate over 80% measured max for like 45 minutes duration periodically. The medical profession is uneducated in exercise/nutrition physiology. He said I was killing myself which would be true if I were unfit. The "killer" mechanism and the related statistics are covered in the book.

During a check-up I showed him these and other data. He wrote down the books name/editors and asked where I got it. At the last visit he asked to scope out a jogging program for him which I did with some trepidation as he's sedentary. I'll find out in a few weeks if he's still with us.

He's been converted.

Al
Old 03-05-11, 09:15 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by alcanoe
Did they take into the account the increased risk of being active, like falling when rock climbing, getting eaten by a shark when surfing, getting hit by a car when riding, etc? I think this only applies if you always wear a helmet, never pass cars/trucks on the right, always come to complete stops at stop signs... I don't think I'm going to make it.
Old 03-05-11, 09:33 AM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
He's my hero. That's were I want to be in 22 yrs. Holy Shrimp! 22 yrs! And I thought I was old.
Old 03-05-11, 09:45 AM
alcanoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Did they take into the account the increased risk of being active, like falling when rock climbing, getting eaten by a shark when surfing, getting hit by a car when riding, etc? I think this only applies if you always wear a helmet, never pass cars/trucks on the right, always come to complete stops at stop signs... I don't think I'm going to make it.
Yes. The results (Cooper data) are expressed as all-cause mortality or the risk of death from everything you can think of compared to the lower 20% of fitness. There are data/curves (not from the Cooper center) showing that your risk of death iis far higher during the actual activity then when not exercising as well.

If they had a relatively large/ statistically significant number who were shark bait or experienced terminal velocity at impact, it would have reduced the apparent benefit in the over-all statistics.

There is one bar chart on page 290 which shows the deaths due to sudden cardiac arrest per million person hours. During jogging it exceeds 40. Overall risk for sedentary men is about 19 and for active men is about 4 (when not exercising). This is not related to the Cooper trial data nor was fitness measured, just activity.

The data doesn't really say one is going to make it. It says you have a far better chance if you are fit. More fit ='s more alert to danger, better reflexes to avoid an accident and not least, a better chance of surviving and full recovery. I've experience the latter in spades.

Al
Old 03-05-11, 10:16 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We ride with a "senior" bike group. They have re-defined the meaning of the word "senior" in my mind. Our president is 81 and can ride 50 miles, then goes home and does yoga or swims or takes a walk. Our oldest member (one of the founding members) is 87 and rides his recumbent up Baldy Rd. to Shinn Rd. every Sunday morning (anyone who lives in my area will know this route and the challenge that grade presents). Most of our members are younger, in their 50s - 60s and very strong riders, completing centuries and also riding with even younger riders of another group. Staying not just active but physically fit, and eating right, sets these folks apart.
Old 03-05-11, 10:32 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Through the length of my years, I have found out that if you aim VERY HIGH, AND I MEAN VERY HIGH, if you miss getting to that point, you still be way out in front!!

I know, I am a genius to figure that one out all by myself!!
Old 03-05-11, 01:22 PM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my 30's and early 40's, I was very fit, doing group rides with racing members of the old Chico Velo without getting dropped too often I was eating right, not smoking or drinking, and just generally having a grand old time of it.

Then can a period of career and personal instability, for lack of a better term, and I basically turned into a health care train wreck. Smoking, drinking, ballooning up to 225#, total cholesterol > 230, high LDL, low HDL, and hypertensive as hell. There aren't any excuses for this kind of self abuse, but I got a huge wake up call last June in the form of a heart attack. It was a big enough vascular event that it could have easily killed me, but by some incredible stroke of luck, it did very, very little myocardial damage. A couple stents and stern warnings from a cardiologist later, I had an essentially normal echocardiogram and thallium stress test.

Long story short, you don't squander a second chance like that. So I'm firmly back on the straight and narrow life style and the bike - big time. My weight is down to 168 (more to go), my lipid panel is better than perfect, and I'm off my ACE-inhibitor meds entirely. I've gotten a lot stronger on the bike than when I started 7 months ago, BUT... I do get discouraged by how pathetic I still am, especially when I think of where I was 20 years ago.

Then you came along with a story like this, and it gives me hope that I might just reach a point where I can participate in some group rides again without embarrassing myself too badly. I know better than to expect a return to the form I had in the mid-80's, but hey, if I can get, at age 63, to where your 85 year old is now, I just might make it to the Davis Fall Century this year after all.

Mostly, I just wanted to say a big thanks for posting this...

-Bert

Last edited by bsektzer; 03-05-11 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-05-11, 01:26 PM
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree bsektzer. I see the struggle my in-laws are having with health and they are not yet 85. I want to be the guy on the bike at 85, outdoors, enjoying life.
Old 03-05-11, 04:38 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I met this guy, 79 years old, at the top of Mt. Constitution in the San Juan islands.

He rode up without stopping (I rested about 20 times), and does it every year. Note RAMROD jersey.

I'm going to try to be like him, but I'm pretty sure that there's something physiologically different about his body. I'll bet he was doing double centuries at my age (57) and I can't even imagine doing that.
Old 03-05-11, 05:27 PM
alcanoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I met this guy, 79 years old, at the top of Mt. Constitution in the San Juan islands.

He rode up without stopping (I rested about 20 times), and does it every year. Note RAMROD jersey.

I'm going to try to be like him, but I'm pretty sure that there's something physiologically different about his body. I'll bet he was doing double centuries at my age (57) and I can't even imagine doing that.
I doubt it's physiological although some of it could be. I would bet he just rides harder/longer than most of us. I think the physiological component would affect how quickly he could do it. He may also have a training regime where he gets over lactate threshold for a while periodically. That leads to a big boost in power capability for lower heart rates which is a boost to endurance. Most of us recreational riders don't bother.

If you are a mountain biker, it's real easy to spend time over 80% measured max heart rate. Last week I spent 45 minutes over 80% out of an hour 53 minute ride. It wasn't planned, it just happens that way although I make sure I spend some time over 80% once in a while.

I meet a 65 year old on some mountain trails periodically. He's phenomenal and does the annual 100 mile mountain bike race. He rides these very tough/steep trails 5 days a week and they are long rides as well. He works at it, he also lives very close by the trails.

Also, that mirror sticking out of his back might have something to do with it.

Al
Old 03-05-11, 07:17 PM
outwest5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a guy around me that is in his 80's. This morning I rode with a guy in his 70's who had stronger, bigger legs than most on the ride. He was way ahead.
Old 03-05-11, 07:28 PM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Living in West Central FL our cycling club attracts a number of seniors. Plenty of 65 plus riders that can ride all day or out ride the younger riders for 40 miles. I rode sweep one day and had the pleasure of riding with Harvey from Chicago. Well into his 80s and he rode strong for 45 miles, a real inspiration. Gives me hope and also something to think about when I don't feel like getting up and heading out; just go ride!

Mark
Old 03-05-11, 08:34 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

Awesome!!
Old 03-05-11, 10:23 PM
TomD77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If family history is any guide, I don't have to worry about what my performance level will be when I'm in my mid-80's. I'm not bidding for immortality, I just want to be capable and active while I'm here.
Old 03-07-11, 08:54 AM
Harold K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 68, my sister is 78 she just bought a power scooter chair and that scares the hell out of me. There is nothing wrong with her that's not wrong with me, we both have arthritis, but our attitudes are different. Her attitude is I have to be careful so I don't hurt myself. Mine is if I don't keep active I'll be in a chair in 10 years so I ride my bicycle in the rain.
I'll report back in ten years.
Old 03-07-11, 09:17 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TomD77
I'm not bidding for immortality, I just want to be capable and active while I'm here.
+1
As long as I'm here I want to stomp the terra.
Old 03-07-11, 10:51 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
My goal has been to remain alive into my 80s, let alone ride a bicycle. Perhaps there is hope that I'll be able to do more than just breathe if I make it that far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.