Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

i know you're not dr's but IT band synd

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-31-11, 09:25 AM
edawggg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i know this is not a board of dr's but where else do i go? i got out yesterday and rode for about 2 hours. my knee was killing me that last mile. i know the source of my pain was IT band syndrome last year. i stretched and rolled like crazy this winter.

i've been rolling my leg for the last 24 hours and nothing. it doesnt feel tight at all.

this makes me feel like the source of my pain is not my IT band
i did get a new bike a few months ago, perhaps an innacurate fit?
Old 05-31-11, 09:28 AM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Bikes: Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a runner I can say this.
If the pain is on the outside of the knee it is the IT. Stretch stretch and stretch. Many people have to live with IT pain when ever they run.

Try KT Tape. I have used it in the past with great success.

As a cyclist I would say check your float and crank arm length. Make sure the bike is properly fitted.
Old 05-31-11, 09:44 AM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pat straps. I know it sounds crazy but they worked for me.

I never realised what running on an unlevel surface would do but I suffered. There is also this stretch where you stand on an elevated surface like a step with 1 foot. drop your weight and lift back up. weird sounding I know, you could probably find it on google somewhere.
Old 05-31-11, 09:48 AM
opie

Bikes: 2012 Venge, 2011 Transition, Surly Troll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me (notice how that's bold) stretching and rolling were not as beneficial to fixing my ITBS issues as strengthening my glutes. My hips and but had gotten so weak. I started adding in glute bridges and the adducter and abducter machines at the gym twice a week and the ITBS in my right knee has gone away. I still stretch and roll but not nearly as much. When I slack on the hips and butt strength the ITBS wants to creep back in
Old 05-31-11, 09:49 AM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not lupus.
Old 05-31-11, 09:52 AM
edawggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hit legs real hard in the gym this winter. all types of presses and squats. lunges, dead lifts, extensions, curls. i appreciate the advice but i dont think its possible to work legs more
Old 05-31-11, 09:55 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Just because you had ITBS before doesn't mean that's what's happening now. "My knee was killing me" conjures up 5 or 6 diagnoses without even thinking too hard about it or being an orthopedist. It's kind of like saying "I'm sick. What's the best treatment?"

It may still be ITBS, but before you continue treating a potentially wrong diagnosis, I would see someone and get that knee examined.
Old 05-31-11, 09:59 AM
edawggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the reply. it was yesterday and i am going to have it looked at today after work. theres no harm in asking around on the internets today.

the pain feels similar to itbs but i just thought that if it was my thigh would be super tender also.
Old 05-31-11, 10:00 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I_like_cereal
As a runner I can say this.
If the pain is on the outside of the knee it is the IT.
...unless it's an LCL sprain, meniscal injury, floating body, bursitis, or some other tendinitis/tendonopathy.
Old 05-31-11, 10:02 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by edawggg
thanks for the reply. it was yesterday and i am going to have it looked at today after work. theres no harm in asking around on the internets today.

the pain feels similar to itbs but i just thought that if it was my thigh would be super tender also.
Not always. Most of the pain in ITBS is not in the muscle, but rather a focal inflammation of the IT band right where it rubs over the lateral part of the femur. But like I said, still worth getting it looked at. The likelihood that it's something else is a little higher also, now that you mention that you'd been hitting the weights hard all winter.

And yes, there's plenty of potential harm in seeking medical advice on the internet, but I won't bore you with any of those stories.

Also--and this isn't really a true medical recommendation because I don't have any real evidence to back the claim--I really, really like Hammer Nutrition's Tissue Rejuvenator. It's basically a formulation of glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, and a smattering of herbs that are purported to have anti-inflammatory properties. After a bout of ITBS during my marathon training last year and a super-fast recovery I'm sold on the stuff. Seems to get me off the NSAIDs quicker if I do have an injury. I have no definitive proof that it works, so that's why I recommend it as a cyclist/triathlete and not as a doctor, but certainly nothing in it is going to hurt you.

Last edited by DrPete; 05-31-11 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-31-11, 10:14 AM
edawggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Not always. Most of the pain in ITBS is not in the muscle, but rather a focal inflammation of the IT band right where it rubs over the lateral part of the femur. But like I said, still worth getting it looked at. The likelihood that it's something else is a little higher also, now that you mention that you'd been hitting the weights hard all winter.

And yes, there's plenty of potential harm in seeking medical advice on the internet, but I won't bore you with any of those stories.

Also--and this isn't really a true medical recommendation because I don't have any real evidence to back the claim--I really, really like Hammer Nutrition's Tissue Rejuvenator. It's basically a formulation of glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, and a smattering of herbs that are purported to have anti-inflammatory properties. After a bout of ITBS during my marathon training last year and a super-fast recovery I'm sold on the stuff. Seems to get me off the NSAIDs quicker if I do have an injury. I have no definitive proof that it works, so that's why I recommend it as a cyclist/triathlete and not as a doctor, but certainly nothing in it is going to hurt you.
the pain is directly on the right side of my right knee. i can feel a tight little tendon or muscle or something and that is what hurts. ive been rolling around on my roller all up and down the thigh and no pain, soreness or tightness.

i hope the pain is just from improper fit
Old 05-31-11, 10:23 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
the pain is directly on the right side of my right knee. i can feel a tight little tendon or muscle or something and that is what hurts. ive been rolling around on my roller all up and down the thigh and no pain, soreness or tightness.

i hope the pain is just from improper fit
Well, IF it's ITBS, then first and foremost you need to rest it till the pain goes away and the inflammation settles down. Also, strengthening is all fine and good but you need to keep that IT band and glutes stretched, and there are a ton of stretches online to use. The foam roller is great and I use it too, but it won't get the glutes very well.

As for the bike fit, if it's ITBS I'm guessing the pain hits at the bottom of your pedal stroke as the IT band snaps over the femur, in which case your saddle might be too high and it's straightening your leg too much--so something to try. Like I said, though, best to make sure you have the right diagnosis before you embark on too many changes, and you've got that base covered.

I don't usually recommend the professional uber-fits from places like FitWerx et al, but if you are prone to a certain injury it might be money well spent. Having someone tailor your fit to your range of motion, flexibility, and unique injury issues is very valuable.

Last edited by DrPete; 05-31-11 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-31-11, 10:24 AM
Wescoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't give us a whole lot to work with, but here are a few things to consider...

Have you had your bike professionally fitted? If so, how long ago? EDIT: Reread the original post...do you have your old bike (that I assume didn't give you issues) to take measurements from? This is the biggest variable and I bet the root cause of the problem. I'd take it back to where you bought it (or got fitted if its different) and let them know its not working for you. If its a reputable shop, they should work with you to iron the issue out.

What cadence do you ride at? I find if I let my cadence drop even 10 RPM, it really bugs my left knee (the one I have had persistent ITBS issues with) after a few miles

Has nothing setup wise changed but you've developed a knee pain?

Did you ride while dealing with ITBS last season?

Part of the reason I took up serious cycling was because I wanted a high exertion cardio activity that was relatively low impact. I still run, but if I run too much, my IT band lets me know. I find cycling to help a lot. I have to be militant about stretching, staying hydrated all the time and keeping my cadence up while on the bike of ITBS kicks back in.

Last edited by Wescoe; 05-31-11 at 10:26 AM. Reason: momentary lapse in reading comprehension...
Old 05-31-11, 10:43 AM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stretches for you and others.

Pic of the pain.

Notice how all the tendons run along all of the muscles that you have been hitting hard. If you strengthen a muscle and do not stretch the tendon things can become too tight and snap or create other problems.

Stretch and RICE. Yoga or Tai Chi is good for stretching as well.

Last edited by I_like_cereal; 05-31-11 at 10:45 AM. Reason: info
Old 05-31-11, 10:48 AM
edawggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i did fight itbs last season and it was bad. i had my old bike professionally fitted but not the $250 custom fitting. it was 2 cm too big for me. i hung it up for the winter and hit the weights (weekly lifting real hard), did all types of stretches and foam roller (daily). i bought a tarmac in march (right fit) and was fitted by a guy who was trained but hadnt done it in a while. i started the season out slow and easy. i thought i felt warm sensation in my it band throughout rides but never any pain. last year it was my left knee and now its my right knee.

i ride at a high cadence on a low gear (small chain ring and medium gear on cog). i push big gears for the rare sprint.

i kinda feel that the pain all began when i went with cleats/pedal. SPD almost killed me instantly and now i ride with speedplay that offer the most float.
Old 05-31-11, 10:51 AM
edawggg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that is where the pain is. im afraid it is itbs but ive done everything to fight it and prepare this off season. i stretch like crazy every day!!
Old 05-31-11, 10:53 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Dr. Pcad is in.
Old 05-31-11, 11:35 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend of mine has done everything he can for his ITBS, but the only thing that works is weekly massage with a cycling specific masseuse that was the signouer for the Saturn team. If he's not training all the time, he drops down to once a month but still has to get it done.
Old 05-31-11, 11:42 AM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bet its a fit problem. post a video of your stroke with a view from the front or rear
Old 05-31-11, 02:39 PM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please remember that if the upper body is strong, ie the glut and the lower leg is weak, ie the calf, then the glut will pull harder on the tendon because there is no balancing force on the opposite end.

The same thing happens with the patella and the associated tendons. Been there done that.
Old 05-31-11, 02:40 PM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that is where the pain is. im afraid it is itbs but ive done everything to fight it and prepare this off season. i stretch like crazy every day!!
Stretching everyday could be the problem. Relax and go slow. Stretch slow and probably not everyday.
Old 05-31-11, 03:01 PM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me the most recent issue with my IT was directly related to new shoes/cleats. Following an adjustment of the cleat position and a rest to let the IT band 'heal' I was good to go. Changing out cleats on the same shoe is relatively easy, just mark the location on the shoe before swapping, but getting it right on a new shoe/cleat setup can be a bit more difficult.

Good luck, I know it sucks not being able to ride when you want to but rest is required.

Mark