Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I've been using an alpaca base layer lately

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 10:07 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Normally this would be the time to start thinking about spring classics, but there's snow on the ground and more falling out of the sky right now.

I've been using an alpaca base layer lately. It works as well as merino wool, but warmer. Breathes really well. Comfortable from 25 to 60 F so far with appropriate layers and activity.

Base layers are usually either wool or poly, so this was novel and I wanted to give it a try. I'm going to get more.
Old 02-28-17, 11:03 PM
vwchad

Bikes: 2013 Focus Izalco Pro, Soma Grand Randonneur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any details? Brand? Did you get it locally (I'm just north of Seattle)? Link?
Old 03-01-17, 12:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Llama wool ... just doesn't sound as exclusive.
Old 03-01-17, 07:33 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That reminds me: need to order socks....
Old 03-01-17, 07:54 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Llama wool ... just doesn't sound as exclusive.
+ Vicugna pacos.... looks like a cross between a lama and a sheep.

It is still wool. I hate wool as a base layer because of the structure of wool fibers (hairs) traps/stagnates air and moisture. Wool fibers don't (can't) migrate moisture. I prefer dry next to my skin (as opposed to old sweat).

I really dislike the "feel" of tech fabrics like polypropylene. But they do wick moisture away from me. I reserve wool for outer layers where it can trap body heat after vented inner layers evaporate away the sweat.

But if you're going to be sopping wet (as in swimming) in winter temperatures.... a wool base layer would be the way to go. As the wool fibers will preserve that thin wet layer and stagnate your body heat. Even if your outer layers are also wet.
Old 03-01-17, 09:53 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by vwchad
Any details? Brand? Did you get it locally (I'm just north of Seattle)? Link?
Place down in Trout Lake, near the border with Oregon. I had them ship to me. There weren't really any other options, a lot of people make alpaca socks and hats and scarves but no outdoor/sport base layers. This one seems to work really well, at least in cool and cold weather.

https://woopwear.com/

Old 03-01-17, 07:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
+ Vicugna pacos.... looks like a cross between a lama and a sheep.

It is still wool. I hate wool as a base layer because of the structure of wool fibers (hairs) traps/stagnates air and moisture. Wool fibers don't (can't) migrate moisture. I prefer dry next to my skin (as opposed to old sweat).
I don't have this exact model, but similar from the same maker. Poly lining with wool outer layer. I like them.. not sure why there isn't more of this stuff out there specific to bike clothing
Terramar Woolskins Zip Neck Base Layer Top (For Men) - Save 65%
Old 03-01-17, 07:57 PM
Flatbroke

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Place down in Trout Lake, near the border with Oregon. I had them ship to me. There weren't really any other options, a lot of people make alpaca socks and hats and scarves but no outdoor/sport base layers. This one seems to work really well, at least in cool and cold weather.

hot damn looked in to buying some but they are sure proud of those things.
Old 03-02-17, 08:17 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
..... not sure why there isn't more of this stuff out there specific to bike clothing
Me either. Unless it's just... no (or little) demand.

Bicycling isn't exactly a massive winter sport. Very limited selection of winter clothing at the LBS. So any maker of quality cycling clothing might need to be pretty vertical.... being both maker and marketer... of cycling clothing. I can't find grab that name from the top of my head.

I would look to Europe... where winter bicycle commuting is commonplace. But they don't seem to have the same need for specialized cycling clothing. I think we might be stuck with finding much of the clothing from other sources for now.
Old 03-02-17, 09:45 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatbroke
hot damn looked in to buying some but they are sure proud of those things.
$70 camel hair t-shirt. :O
Old 03-03-17, 04:02 PM
vwchad

Bikes: 2013 Focus Izalco Pro, Soma Grand Randonneur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the link.
Old 03-05-17, 07:39 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I will have to look into these for next year now that I live in a place that actually gets cold. I have been using some 6 year old Rapha wool baselayers with a short sleeve jersey and jacket, and that has been fine down to about 32 degrees, but if there is no snow and it has been dry (common here most years) I wouldn't mind riding when it is a little colder, and the wool Rapha baselayers aren't THAT thick.
Old 03-05-17, 03:47 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Normally this would be the time to start thinking about spring classics, but there's snow on the ground and more falling out of the sky right now.

I've been using an alpaca base layer lately. It works as well as merino wool, but warmer. Breathes really well. Comfortable from 25 to 60 F so far with appropriate layers and activity.

Base layers are usually either wool or poly, so this was novel and I wanted to give it a try. I'm going to get more.
How's it feel to the skin. I can't wear normal wool as it breaks me out but merino is fine and my choice for a base layer. Curious how this compares to the softness of merino?
Old 03-05-17, 04:24 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
How's it feel to the skin. I can't wear normal wool as it breaks me out but merino is fine and my choice for a base layer. Curious how this compares to the softness of merino?
I was curious as well. I found this short article: Everything You Wanted to Know About Alpaca Fleece But Were Afraid To Ask
Old 03-06-17, 10:02 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Feels very soft, more than merino.
Old 03-06-17, 10:57 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
https://www.alpacamall.com/
Old 03-06-17, 12:22 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
$70 actually seems reasonable to me for alpaca. Do they require special care?

I'm not picky abut baselayers personally. The generic Costco ones work fine for me.
Old 03-06-17, 12:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

I'm used to paying around that much for a merino base layer so it's not that big a deal. I expect it to last me a few years.

I use the machines to wash (cold water, shampoo) and dry (air cycle) it. Throw it in a drawer until I need it. So far so good but I've only had it a couple weeks.
Old 03-06-17, 08:00 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Feels very soft, more than merino.
Hey thanks. After around 5 years my think Minus33 Merino baselayer has a hole worn in it by rubbing on my chest strap. Was thinking about replacing it so maybe I'll try one of these.
Old 03-05-19, 10:38 AM
armsofandes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, I just saw this forum on a google search and I thought I'd share my insight. Yes, Alpaca wool is more durable and warmer than Merino wool and softer than cashmere. This has to do with where Alpacas live which is in the andes area of Peru and there's constant change in harsh weather. So the wool of the alpacas have to be able to endure harsh sunlight, freezing temperatures at night, and harsh winds. If you are interested in trying other base layers and mid layers of alpaca, feel free to google arms of andes. Everything is 100% Royal Alpaca meaning of 18 microns and all produced in Peru. I don't mean to advertise; I just thought I'd share since I saw some people were interested. Please note the inventory is in Los Angeles and Amsterdam so shipping costs are not high.
Old 03-06-19, 01:36 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
was totally underdressed uptop for approx 2 hours (much of it uphill) into unexpected/unforecasted cold wind and rain today with only some arm warmers, a summer jersey and the rapha merino short sleeve base layer.
started at 80 degrees, got down to mid-50's with the wind/rain. merino base layer was a godsend. that rapha merino (non-sale) runs $85 apiece and i've got several. indispensable. i will check out the alpaca wool underliner since
it's a few bux less and i wear the merino wool underliner on every ride and i ride from 40 degrees to 100 degrees.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-06-19 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-06-19, 06:08 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have several different base layers, Rapha Merino, Ibex light and mid-weight, and some generic Costco that is a Merino blend. The Rapha is ok for me, a bit light when it is below 50 degrees. I most like the Ibex 200 weight base layer, it keeps me warm from 40 degrees and above. Since Ibex went out of business I have been looking for another 200 weight base layer, and the Whoopwear at 170 and the Arms of Andes at 230gms look like promising candidates.
Old 03-11-19, 02:58 AM
armsofandes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
was totally underdressed uptop for approx 2 hours (much of it uphill) into unexpected/unforecasted cold wind and rain today with only some arm warmers, a summer jersey and the rapha merino short sleeve base layer.
started at 80 degrees, got down to mid-50's with the wind/rain. merino base layer was a godsend. that rapha merino (non-sale) runs $85 apiece and i've got several. indispensable. i will check out the alpaca wool underliner since
it's a few bux less and i wear the merino wool underliner on every ride and i ride from 40 degrees to 100 degrees.
Hey, by any chance do you find merino itchy? If so, do you see a difference in the brand?
Old 03-11-19, 02:59 AM
armsofandes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalheart44
I have several different base layers, Rapha Merino, Ibex light and mid-weight, and some generic Costco that is a Merino blend. The Rapha is ok for me, a bit light when it is below 50 degrees. I most like the Ibex 200 weight base layer, it keeps me warm from 40 degrees and above. Since Ibex went out of business I have been looking for another 200 weight base layer, and the Whoopwear at 170 and the Arms of Andes at 230gms look like promising candidates.
I appreciate that note, if you're interested you can use discount code: bikingforumsONLY for 10% off
Old 03-11-19, 06:43 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm used to paying around that much for a merino base layer so it's not that big a deal. I expect it to last me a few years.

I use the machines to wash (cold water, shampoo) and dry (air cycle) it. Throw it in a drawer until I need it. So far so good but I've only had it a couple weeks.
+1

The alpaca product is less expensive than a Smartwool base layer at REI.

I use mesh wash bags with Woolite in the machine on delicate.

Thanks for posting this.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.