Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Well... I finally learned how to ride a bike (first post)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 07:47 AM
33yearslate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts

No joke, I'm 33 years old and never learned. I was bored in lockdown due to the pandemic so I decided "heck, why not take this time to learn?" So I bought a bike online, it was delivered pre-assembled, and I hopped on and just kept at it... and ended up learning in about 3 hours after a couple of embarrassing falls in a very remote road near my neighborhood.

It was HARD. It probably seems like second nature to everyone on this site but there's a lot happening when you get on a bike. Just getting the bicycle in motion and placing your feet on the pedals requires a ton of coordination when you've never done it before. And when I did start to get the hang of it for the first time... I rode it into a ditch of about 1 foot of water and nearly injured myself . I came home soaked, but triumphant! I learned.

Now, 3 days later, it feels good to have this dark cloud of a thing - not knowing how to ride a bike - no longer hanging over my head as a source of shame. I always made excuses whenever anyone asked me whether I wanted to go bike riding with them. And the feeling of someday knowing I'll be able to say "yes" (when we are no longer social distancing) is super exciting.

Riding, itself, is very freeing and enjoyable. I haven't actually gone anywhere yet though - I'm way too scared of riding outside my little neighborhood onto a main road or a sidewalk of a major street. But I can tell I'm going to get there if I keep practicing.

Right now, I still sort of swerve and lose control at times. And I have no sense of when to change gears at all - I just leave them both on the middle gear until I get the hang of things. But the progress is going well. I'm on day 3 right now and am gradually starting to feel more and more relaxed when riding.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story with some bike enthusiasts. I love my new bike.

*hugs bike*

Cheers
Old 04-17-20, 07:55 AM
33yearslate

P.S. I should probably mention, the bike I grabbed is a Trek FX1 with disc brakes. Although I have no frame of reference at all, I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
Likes For 33yearslate:
Old 04-17-20, 08:16 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 435 Posts
Better late than never! Interesting to hear about learning to ride from a different perspective. Hard for me to remember when I didn't ride a bike. Sure you'll have lots of fun with it, congrats on staying with it, you'll have it mastered in no time at all.
Old 04-17-20, 09:30 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Congratulations for having the persistence to get it right. I had a kid in my Scout troop who still didn't know how to ride a bike when he aged out at 18. He was just afraid to try. That was in spite of the encouragement from several adult leaders who are cyclists. It's sad because cycling can be a lifelong way to keep fit and enjoy the out of doors.
Old 04-17-20, 09:39 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Enjoying it is the best part.

Wait til you begin to see some fitness benefits when you learn to ride faster & longer.

Stay safe.
Ride On!
Old 04-17-20, 09:53 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
For those who are curious: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../fx-1/p/17446/

Good to hear you like cycling. It just keeps getting better.
Old 04-17-20, 10:09 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Good for you! I recall learning when I was 8, on a 24" Roadmaster that was too big for me. The other kids would push me down the sidewalk, let go, and I'd fall over. Maybe the second day, I flew free. Then it was my brothers turn. Push him til he didn't fall over.

With my kids, I started them on training wheels. My 7 year old grand daughter still does not know how to ride. She live in a place with steep hills, she'll have to be transported to a flat area to learn.
Old 04-17-20, 10:12 AM
TK LP

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts
Now you’ll never forget how!
Old 04-17-20, 10:13 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Good for you and welcome to the gang!
Old 04-17-20, 10:24 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Huh, Didn't know Trek delivered to your house. Pretty cool for such times. But even cooler you were brave enough to learn to cycle at 33. That is so awesome!

Likes For hillyman:
Old 04-17-20, 10:33 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Good job on learning to ride!

Never had a bike delivered pre-assembled. Do you know enough about bike mechanicals to give it a good check and make sure it was done correctly, and nothing came loose during shipping?
Old 04-17-20, 10:38 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-17-20, 10:39 AM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by hillyman
Huh, Didn't know Trek delivered to your house. Pretty cool for such times. But even cooler you were brave enough to learn to cycle at 33. That is so awesome!
I don't know if they normally deliver to houses. But my current residence is literally walking distance from the nearest Trek. So we were able to arrange a socially distanced "handoff" where they left it at my door.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I can already tell I'm going to stick with this new hobby. It's a really fun way to get around.

As soon as I feel comfortable, I'm going to start biking out of the neighborhood and going places. I'm giving it another week of practice and learning how to change gears properly.
Likes For 33yearslate:
Old 04-17-20, 10:48 AM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
That TREK is an excellent first bike, you choose well.
Old 04-17-20, 10:52 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
What a great post! Welcome to the community!
These forums suck sometimes but cycling not so much.
Likes For joelcool:
Old 04-17-20, 12:00 PM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by 55murray
That TREK is an excellent first bike, you choose well.
Glad to hear it! It goes way faster than I imagined it would without much work. I imagine it will feel great to go full speed with it on an open road someday (when I work up the courage!).
Old 04-17-20, 12:07 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Congrats! Good for you for trying something outside of your comfort zone.
My sister who is 50, in good shape, athletic, has still never learned to ride a bike. It seems baffling from the outside to us riders!
Sounds like you already appreciate that unique feeling that riding a bike delivers - there's really nothing else like it. Enjoy!
Old 04-17-20, 03:08 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
Congrats! It takes a lot of guts to learn something as an adult that most people learn as a kid.

Nice first bike.....Now go ride it like you stole it.
Old 04-17-20, 03:22 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Good for you.

One thing you will probably want to put together for your new ride is flat repair kit and maybe a few basic tools. The basics don't cost much.

A fact of life is that bicycle tires tend to puncture much more easily that auto tires and if you are miles from home with no way to repair the puncture, it sucks (don't ask me how I know). If you ride enough, sooner or later you will flat. Flats are pretty simple to repair and be on your way in no time.

It is good to familiarize yourself with the procedure in the comfort of your home so you aren't trying to learn to do it on the side of the road. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to change a flat and many threads here about putting together a basic flat and repair kit.

Good luck.
Likes For August West:
Old 04-17-20, 03:34 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Congratulations. I can imagine it's something that would not be easy to learn as an adult.

A couple of pointers for you. 1. A bike will tend to go where you look. Many times when people crash, it's because they see something like a curb or ditch and they can't take their eyes off it and run right into it. Motorcyclists call this target fixation. Look where you want the bike to go and don't fixate on obstacles.

2. When your moving on the bike and you start to turn the handlebars, the bike will turn in the opposite direction. This is referred to as counter steering. I suspect someone will follow up and say that doesn't happen on a bicycle but they are wrong. It does. Try it out for yourself and see.

Understanding these two things will help you feel more confident riding.
Old 04-17-20, 03:47 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
Good for you! I worked one time with a woman who grew up living in an apartment building on a steep hill in San Francisco. The only place she could ride her little bike was in the garage downstairs. When I knew her much later she had eventually moved to a flat area and had really learned to ride. It gave her a lot of joy. Hope your new skill does too.
Old 04-17-20, 05:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Congratulations. I can imagine it's something that would not be easy to learn as an adult.

A couple of pointers for you. 1. A bike will tend to go where you look. Many times when people crash, it's because they see something like a curb or ditch and they can't take their eyes off it and run right into it. Motorcyclists call this target fixation. Look where you want the bike to go and don't fixate on obstacles. .
This sounded silly to me until I made it a regular thing (particularly off-road where squeezing between rocks and roots can be a safety issue.) One thing that helps is to look next to the obstacle---you have it in the periphery so your brain doesn't freak out, but you also don't crash right into it while staring at it.
Old 04-17-20, 07:06 PM
Dk20

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Glad to see you are putting your down time to accomplish learning to ride a bike. Now, when you hear the cliche "It's like riding a bike..." you'll understand. Enjoy your new found activity.
Old 04-17-20, 08:14 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by 33yearslate
.Anyway, I just wanted to share my story with some bike enthusiasts. I love my new bike.

*hugs bike*

Cheers
That's so cool, thanks for posting about it. And you have so much to look fotward to. Way to go!
Old 04-17-20, 08:33 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Very cool!

You learned like probably most of us. Me? I was about 6 or 7 (around 1959 or so) and my older brother got his first bike. (we weren't allowd to have bikes until we were 8). I was very jealous, so being a good big brother he "taught" me how to ride. The bike was way too big for me. He and his buddy got me up on the seat and together pushed me as fast as they could and let go. Flat, grassy front yard, so the crash was just business as usual for me. I learned pretty quickly after that. I've never lost the sense of fun riding a bike.

The way most little kids learn nowadays is on a little bike without pedals. They sit on the seat and scoot along with foot power until they get proficient at balancing. Then they get the pedals and it's a relatively pain free process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.