Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium road bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Titanium road bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-20, 01:43 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
More importantly - how's it staying up?
No complaints from the wife, and she sees it everyday. We live in a Manhattan apt and it's just hangin' out next to the couch until it gets taken out to play.

... we're still talking about bikes, right?
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 08-04-20, 03:23 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
No complaints from the wife, and she sees it everyday. We live in a Manhattan apt and it's just hangin' out next to the couch until it gets taken out to play.

... we're still talking about bikes, right?
I don't know anymore...and I don't think I want to know...
Old 08-04-20, 04:30 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
yep litespeeds are crap... just awful,, and ulgy... oh wait a min...

strike that.. they are pretty amazing bikes and i would buy another used one in a second.... big bang for buck and im a clyde and at 6,3 no washy BB no flex on the bike anywhere... just one hell of a great bike and dont know about ABG,,, i just know this bike is solid and its a blast to ride fast..

Likes For scuzzo:
Old 08-04-20, 06:48 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by scuzzo
yep litespeeds are crap... just awful,, and ulgy... oh wait a min...

strike that.. they are pretty amazing bikes and i would buy another used one in a second.... big bang for buck and im a clyde and at 6,3 no washy BB no flex on the bike anywhere... just one hell of a great bike and dont know about ABG,,, i just know this bike is solid and its a blast to ride fast..

Missed my point. It wasn’t about the bikes; it’s about the company ABG. I wouldn’t not buy a used Litespeed at the right price. I would never buy a new Litesped from ABG, with a price that factored in the value of a warranty that history shows they’ve failed to honor.

So if you can find a used Litespeed at a good price ( which in part be the result of the beat down ABG put on the brand) fine. But I stick by my point I would never buy a bike from ABG, and if you want a new ”Litespeed”, the best ones carry a Lynskey badge.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 08-04-20, 08:17 PM
Litespud

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
and if you want a new ”litespeed”, the best ones carry a lynskey badge.
👍😀
Likes For Litespud:
Old 02-05-22, 09:07 AM
whatshubdoc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
T1sl

So what do you guys think about the T1sl?
Old 02-07-22, 08:06 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by whatshubdoc
So what do you guys think about the T1sl?
If your goal is speed at some reasonable level of comfort may be just the frame for you, but for the OP and at my age it would likely be a one ride frame.
Old 02-07-22, 10:32 AM
whatshubdoc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to ride a Tarmac. Now I ride a Synapse, but the "snap" just isn't there when I get on the gas. I bought it because of the taller head tube as I had back surgery.

I recently got a chance to ride a Seven 622S and a Lemond Ti and LOVE the way the road feels like honey, thus went down the rabbit hole of looking for a Ti bike. The T1SL has a tight back end (406mm CS, shorter than Tarmac/Cervelo R series!) with a neutral 73* HTA (less twitchy than Tarmac, prob same as Synapse, which I like), and a BB drop of 71mm (love the 70-72mm). I'm thinking this would equate to stable turning, with very good acceleration. Am I wrong?

There are not a lot of reviews out there on the T1SL, and most sing its praises with no negative points, so that makes me a little skeptical.
Old 02-07-22, 07:50 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
I'm intrigued by Ti but haven't found anything that seems to tick the boxes for me.
curious about this statement.
what box are you referencing here.
​​Ti can check every box.
Old 02-10-22, 06:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
​​Ti can check every box.
Aero?
Ultimate stiffness/weight ratio?
Old 02-10-22, 06:25 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Aero?
Ultimate stiffness/weight ratio?
my guess is for the 99% of us.
​​​​yes....
thanks.
Old 02-10-22, 06:29 PM
PeteHski

my guess is for the 99% of us.
​​​​yes....
thanks.
So if Ti checks ALL the boxes for 99% of us, why are we not all riding Ti bikes?
Old 02-10-22, 07:22 PM
thehammerdog

So if Ti checks ALL the boxes for 99% of us, why are we not all riding Ti bikes?
because it aint cheap..its rare.
but you knew that..
Old 02-10-22, 10:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Because the improvement over steel is not so huge that it justifies the big jump in price for people without deep pockets. I only bought a Ti frame because it's 27 years old and the seller didn't make it look all that great. You had to look under the clapped out components.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-11-22, 01:30 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
I've seen weight limits for wheels but not for frames. I wonder what the ANSI test standards are for bike frames?
Old 02-11-22, 04:11 AM
PeteHski

because it aint cheap..its rare.
but you knew that..
But aside from cost, Ti doesn't tick every other box. You asked the question, so I gave you a couple of obvious "boxes" that it doesn't tick. Cost is another one, at least when comparing against other metal frames.
For me personally Ti does actually tick all my boxes, it's just that carbon ticks some of my boxes for a frame even better - mainly it's better stiffness/weight ratio in my case.
Old 02-11-22, 04:44 AM
thehammerdog

But aside from cost, Ti doesn't tick every other box. You asked the question, so I gave you a couple of obvious "boxes" that it doesn't tick. Cost is another one, at least when comparing against other metal frames.
For me personally Ti does actually tick all my boxes, it's just that carbon ticks some of my boxes for a frame even better - mainly it's better stiffness/weight ratio in my case.
my bianchi mega tube ti frame is silly stiff.
glad you like the bike you ride....thats the goal.
Old 02-11-22, 04:50 AM
PeteHski

my bianchi mega tube ti frame is silly stiff.
glad you like the bike you ride....thats the goal.
You can make any material silly stiff, but you can't change its fundamental stiffness/weight ratio.
Old 02-11-22, 06:34 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Added cost of those benefits is most likely the reason most don't go the Ti route. Same for most things. I detest the long throw of Shimano brifters. The price of electronic shifting means that's not an option either. I'll always be 2 or 3 Shimano systems behind so that I can use Microshift brifters (gasp). That's just me.

Last edited by seypat; 02-11-22 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-11-22, 06:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
If in an alternate universe, Ti was as easy and as cheap to make into a bike as CF is, then all the manufacturers would be marketing and selling Ti, and CF would be the more niche product. There is no margin in Ti (or decent steel) -- ask yourself why any large bike manufacturer doesn't even offer 1 model of Ti bike. A quick look at eg. Spesh's website indicates they offer 124 models of CF bikes, and 86 Aluminum. Really no room for just 1 Ti model?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-11-22, 02:57 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
If in an alternate universe, Ti was as easy and as cheap to make into a bike as CF is, then all the manufacturers would be marketing and selling Ti, and CF would be the more niche product. There is no margin in Ti (or decent steel) -- ask yourself why any large bike manufacturer doesn't even offer 1 model of Ti bike. A quick look at eg. Spesh's website indicates they offer 124 models of CF bikes, and 86 Aluminum. Really no room for just 1 Ti model?
CF is neither easy or inherently cheap to make into a bike. It is very labour intensive, raw materials are expensive and requires very expensive equipment. Layup design is also very technical. If you were a one-man-band then you would actually find Ti easier to work with - as difficult as it is to fabricate. That's why you don't see many small outfits making custom carbon frames and the ones that do tend to work with stock carbon tube rather than full monocoque layups.
Old 02-11-22, 03:22 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
CF is neither easy or inherently cheap to make into a bike. It is very labour intensive, raw materials are expensive and requires very expensive equipment. Layup design is also very technical. If you were a one-man-band then you would actually find Ti easier to work with - as difficult as it is to fabricate. That's why you don't see many small outfits making custom carbon frames and the ones that do tend to work with stock carbon tube rather than full monocoque layups.
Custom is a different story. Scroll thru Aliexpress for an idea of rock-bottom costs. The cheapest ti frames are typically 3x that of CF. CF may be labor intensive but I imagine its lower-skilled labor assembling them. Ti frames look to be about $800-$1k, but finding sub $500 CF frames is pretty easy. There's nothing wrong with CF and it's a great material for bike frames, but I'd wager the margin on these is double what they could get on a Ti frame that they'd still be able to find buyers for without pricing out of the market.
Probably a bad analogy, but maybe like comparing a Tissot $300 quartz battery watch with a $300 Tissot Automatic. Probably the Quartz watch keeps better time and probably has a better margin.
Old 02-11-22, 04:40 PM
thehammerdog

You can make any material silly stiff, but you can't change its fundamental stiffness/weight ratio.
indeed.
Old 02-11-22, 11:44 PM
Litespud

Originally Posted by tFUnK
I've seen weight limits for wheels but not for frames. I wonder what the ANSI test standards are for bike frames?
My Litespeed is lightish but not super light (nominally 1350g for the frame), but a state-of-the-art 6/4 Ti frame in 2000. A friend brought his larger custom Ti bike (Kish, Carrboro NC - 3/2.5 Ti, built ~2020) around to my place for a bit of work, and when I lifted it onto the stand, I was amazed at how much lighter his bike was than mine (transient weight-envy, but I got over it). We have identical wheels and similar group sets (I have Chorus 10, he has Chorus 11). Ti fabrication has no doubt advanced in the 20-year difference between our bikes, but someone else suggested that mass-produced frames tend to be overbuilt because they have to conform to set standards - ANSI, for example - up to and including destructive testing, while custom frames don't have to. A custom frame can be as light as the builder thinks it can be for a given user/application, while mass-produced have to cater to the worst-possible situation (ie, the heaviest possible customer). My frame is likely way stronger (and heavier) than it needs to be for me. If you want to realize all the possible benefits of Ti - corrosion-resistance, comfortable ride and lightness - it seems that custom is the way to go.
Old 02-12-22, 03:53 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Custom is a different story. Scroll thru Aliexpress for an idea of rock-bottom costs. The cheapest ti frames are typically 3x that of CF. CF may be labor intensive but I imagine its lower-skilled labor assembling them. Ti frames look to be about $800-$1k, but finding sub $500 CF frames is pretty easy. There's nothing wrong with CF and it's a great material for bike frames, but I'd wager the margin on these is double what they could get on a Ti frame that they'd still be able to find buyers for without pricing out of the market.
Probably a bad analogy, but maybe like comparing a Tissot $300 quartz battery watch with a $300 Tissot Automatic. Probably the Quartz watch keeps better time and probably has a better margin.
You can't really compare the two skillsets directly as they are completely different. CF involves highly skilled design of the layup and the manual production skills are similar to dress-making. At the highest level it is a very skilled job and individual pieces can be very intricate. But you can cut a lot of corners to make a cheap CF frame. You can use low quality materials, low skilled labour and skimp on the layup design. The end result once painted might look much the same as a high-end frame, except with much lower strength and integrity. A top quality carbon frame is never going to be a cheap product. It requires a lot of IP and experience to do it properly. With a Ti frame it's a lot harder to cut corners in production. It's fairly easy to see the quality of fabrication. The design process is much more simple too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.