Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rose Pro SL Rim Brake tyre Clearance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 06:38 AM
Paudge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

Newbie here.

On the Rose website it says the Rose Pro SL Rim Brake has 25mm tyres
- has anyone with this bike fitted a 28mm tyre?

Cheers,

Paudge
Old 05-03-21, 08:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Their geometry specs say a 25 is the max. But perhaps they are just being conservative and maybe even smart by leaving clearance for the occasional twigs and stuff sometimes swept up by your tire. The sticky gumbo mud that sometimes washes across a paved trail here will stop you quick if you don't have enough clearance.

However you can look at the your current tires and find the place on your bike that has the narrowest clearance and get a good idea if you can go bigger. Tread to seat tube, tread to rim brake caliper, sidewall to seat stay or chain stay on the rear. Don't forget to check the front wheel too for clearance.

What ever that smallest clearance is now is about how much more tire width you can fit. Tires grow in outside diameter about the same amount as they grow in width as you go bigger.
Old 05-03-21, 10:39 AM
Paudge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your advice on that.

I can't see the bike instore as it's an internet-only purchase that'd ship from Germany to Ireland - that's why I was looking for someone who had one and changed up to the more comfortable 28mm.

But yes, Rose are probably being conservative.
Old 05-03-21, 12:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Why do you think 28 mm tires are more comfortable? The brand and model tire you get has more to do with that IMO. Better rolling tires are generally more comfortable ride than cheaper tires.

But you might want to rethink your choice if you want to have the option of a wider tire. Many manufactures now will specify the widest tire you can put on their bike models. You just have to go to their site and look at everything closely. Some make hard to find, others easy to find.
Old 05-04-21, 03:57 AM
Paudge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thanks for your help and input.

Cheers