Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to clamp carbon bike w/ aero seatpost to workstand

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 04:02 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I am used to lightly clamping my bike to the stand by the seatpost but just got a new bike with an aero seatpost. What is best practice to clamp to the stand in this case?
Old 05-03-21, 05:06 AM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
https://silca.cc/products/hirobel-clamp

Likes For KLiNCK:
Old 05-03-21, 05:20 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I am used to lightly clamping my bike to the stand by the seatpost but just got a new bike with an aero seatpost. What is best practice to clamp to the stand in this case?
Still the seatpost, HOWEVER you will get a lot of different responses and all of them are, for the most part, correct.

(Well, except for the "if you don't do it this way you're WRONG!", that's probably not true.)

For me it depends on what I'm doing. Usually I'll just rest the bike on the stand on the top tube, no clamp at all. If I have to I may use the clamp to lightly "hold" the frame, using very little pressure.

If I really need to screw with the bike, the seatpost. I think there are adapters that can work with aero seatposts if your clamp doesn't fit it well.

But also, if I really need to be torquing the bike around so much - which I almost never am, as it's fairly new and won't need cranks or BB removed for some time - I'd probably just put it on the ground leaned against something.

Summary: seatpost is best if possible; if not possible, you're not doing anything dangerous or heinous by resting it on, or lightly clamping, the top tube.
Old 05-03-21, 06:00 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Seen these recommended a good bit recently for these types of bikes. But I can't imagine the bike shops all have bought these, so how are they managing?
Old 05-03-21, 06:07 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Expensive but works well.

Old 05-03-21, 06:14 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Couple of options:
1. just hang the bike by the saddle and squeeze the clamp tight against the seatpost. This is not a perfect option, and the bike will move if pushed in the wrong direction, but it is unlikely to fall.
2. Depending on the style of clamp you have, you can clamp it front to back of the seatpost. This does put the bike at a weird angle for the repair stand and is often less than perfectly balanced - it can tip over - but again, it is sufficient to work on a bike.
Old 05-04-21, 12:16 PM
RandomDesign

Bikes: 2021 BMC Teammachine SLR Three

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 20 Posts
You can also get the "Giant ISP Bike Seatpost Clamp Adapter" set for around $30. It's made for Giant's seatposts but fits similar shaped ones very well.