Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Ideal power meter+computer combo

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 06-15-21, 07:25 PM
climbr50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to purchase my first power meter. I currently have the edge explore 1000. I was thinking of going with the Favero Assioma Duo. Question is whether these two gadgets are fully compatible with each other, and are there any metrics that I might be missing by going with these pedals instead of the Garmin vector. My focus will be on training with power rather than using the navigation features. Any help/input will be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to offer any other ideas that may be more sensible than the above combo. Thanks a lot!
Old 06-15-21, 08:46 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Some of Garmin's cycling dynamics stats won't be available with the Favero pedals (just a quick glance, I'm seeing power phase and balance are supported, platform offset is not).
Old 06-15-21, 10:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Verify whether your Garmin works with power meters or not. That's a niche feature they use to upsell the more expensive ones.

I have Vectors. I also tendinitis in my ankle. I find the esoteric crap they measure useful. My ankles hurt less after a ride the closer my "platform center offset" is, and you can see when I'm heading a good or a bad day from my L/R balance because it tells how much I'm favoring the one that wasn't injured as badly. This is the use case for data other than power from power meter pedals. If you're normal and healthy, the data won't tell you anything worth knowing as a cyclist.
Old 06-16-21, 05:46 AM
climbr50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Useful info. Thanks a lot. I usually try to get several years out of these gadgets so some of the stuff my become relevant down the road.
Old 06-19-21, 06:11 PM
climbr50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again Seattle Forest and atwl77 for your response. I am wondering if someone who currently owns the edge explore 1000 and favero assioma duo combination can chime in re: whether there are any compatibility issues. Also noted climbpro as one of the features on the newer edge computers. ? how useful is it in actual use. Appreciate your input!
Old 06-23-21, 11:47 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
favero assioma duo worked with my garmin fenix 5 watch and garmin 1030 plus.

garmins website has instructions on how to calibrate a power meter with your device. so it will probably work.

edge 1000 Calibrating Your Power Meter

Old 06-23-21, 11:54 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
You only need to zero offset your Assioma's on initial install or if you remove them and reinstall them on another bike. The only thing you have to make sure you do on your computer is pair it and input your crank length.

Not sure what Garmin is calling "calibration" above.
Old 06-26-21, 07:46 AM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
You only need to zero offset your Assioma's on initial install or if you remove them and reinstall them on another bike. The only thing you have to make sure you do on your computer is pair it and input your crank length.

Not sure what Garmin is calling "calibration" above.
Thats what Garmin call "zero offset".
Old 06-29-21, 02:29 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Also, the Explore software does not allow for structured workouts. In my opinion, this is a huge gap in capability for the head unit. Initially, when first using a power meter, it is useful to just use the PM to get a feel for the power numbers you are getting. But at some point, ostensibly since you are making the leap into using power, you'll want to do an FTP test and then start using structured workouts to improve the aspects of your cycling fitness that will enhance your riding. The Explore will make this challenging, since you will need to run each structured workout manually with the lap key (does the Explore have the ability to record laps?).