Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

What is this Rossin Record worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 09:32 PM
vwchad

Bikes: 2013 Focus Izalco Pro, Soma Grand Randonneur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is this Rossin Record worth?

I have the opportunity to pick up this Rossin Record. Not entirely sure on the year, possibly the late 1970s, best I can tell. Seems to be in OK shape, mostly just needs some cleaning up. Campagnolo shifters, crankset, and hubs. Suntour Superbe brakes and levers. Suntour derailleurs. The guy is asking $500 obo. Is that reasonable? Cheap? Overpriced? I'm not really in the market for another bike, but this opportunity presented itself and I'd kind of like to save it from rotting in a garage.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0793.jpg (107.4 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by vwchad; 07-01-15 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 07-02-15, 05:47 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
That may be tough call. For some reason you don't see a lot of Rossins, at least I don't, I don't think they ever had the popularity of a DeRosa, Merkxx or Colango. While it may be worth $500 I suspect this machine needs a lot of elbow grease and some consumables. A Rossin is on my 'try it out' list so if it was close to me I might try for closer to $400 because once I did all the work to overhaul, cables, tape ect it might be tough getting $600+/- out of it if I didn't like it.

I think it just depends on haw bad you ant it and if you willing to loose a bit if you don't like it for some reason.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-02-15, 05:57 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
As long as the frame is damage free, I think it is a good deal. I am assuming it is not Columbus SLX. SLX would make it a run and grab it NOW deal. Does the fork appear to be original? If the fork is not original, then the value is quite a bit lower.

This bike screams part out. Even if you want to keep it, myself, the mish mash of higher end components deserves to be sorted out. Find the missing Campy pieces and move the Suntour parts to a new home. Cyclone first generation and Superbe bits all have very good value. Close to $500 in parts on that bike.

Make sure stem and seat post are not stuck.

Looks newer than 1970s to me: bottle braze ons, TT cable guides, fork crown style, etc.

Last edited by wrk101; 07-02-15 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-02-15, 07:46 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Wow, great deal. Maybe it was a midwest thing, but that was a top notch bike in the day. Turin bike shop in Chicago sold a lot of these. I sold one without wheels, brakes, or bar/stem for $400 a couple years ago.
Old 07-02-15, 08:05 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
"I'm a buyer at $500, not a penny more. That's all I'm gonna give you son."

-The Old Man
Old 07-02-15, 11:19 AM
vwchad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. As for the tubing, it is Columbus, but I don't believe it is SLX. At least I don't see any mention of that on the sticker. The fork does appear to be original. My thoughts have been similar regarding the mixed and matched components. Replacing them with matching parts would take some work. I do all my own wrenching, so thats not a problem. The additional cost of tracking down good components is something to be considered though, even if I do sell off the Suntour parts. I'm on the fence at this point. Don't really need it, but it could be a fun project. I don't think it is going anywhere any time soon. The seller isn't actively looking to off load it. I just happened to come across it and he offered it up for sale.
Old 07-02-15, 02:00 PM
holden west

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like it has a nice Turbo saddle which is always a bonus. I vaguely recall Rossins being popular on the criterium circuit in the 80s. You'd drool over the Colnagos in the bike store but the Rossins were out there on Saturdays getting the job done. Perhaps they offered a better value at the time, no crazy pantographing or wild paint jobs.

Last edited by holden west; 07-02-15 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 02:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You are in Metro Seattle region Its gotta add to the cost ..
Old 07-02-15, 03:38 PM
vwchad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You are in Metro Seattle region Its gotta add to the cost ..
Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on which side of the transaction you happen to be on, that holds true with most things around here.