Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium road bikes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Titanium road bikes

Old 07-22-20, 05:05 AM
HEAVYSNOWMAN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Titanium road bikes

Just keen to hear what people know about weight limits on titanium road bikes compared to carbon.

Currently ride canyon on the seat post weight limit, and looking at a titanium option down the track

Hope you can help.
Old 07-22-20, 05:24 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Blow the bank account. Buy a Baum Correta.
Likes For zatopek:
Old 07-22-20, 06:04 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Lynskey advertises that their Backroad touring frame does not have a weight limit! You might check the websites for the various manufacturers. If you need help with that, post which ones most interest you and someone will probably assist. If you post your weight folks will be able to know if they have relevant personal experience. Also, we have an entire subforum devoted to "Clydes." I predict you will enjoy a Ti bike if you get one!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-22-20, 07:16 AM
TheCharm 

Bikes: 2015 Surly Disc Trucker & 2011 Trek 7.3fx

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
Isn't it more than just the bike? Aren't there limits on your wheel build and hub selection that likely supersedes any weight limit for a particular frame?
Old 07-22-20, 01:31 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Well I have a very nice Wilier CF bike I bought in 2013. Then in 2017 I bought my Habanero TI and it weighs about 17.8 pounds without pedal and the Wilier is maybe around a pound lighter tops. In any case have not road the Wilier more than maybe 6-7 times since then. The TI just has a better ride and much more quiet. It makes hardly a sound especially with Shimano Ultegra Hubs no clicking too. I just feel a lot better off on the TI it has zero flex but yet is not harsh and to me it is the best of steel ride in a much more powerful frame. Also I am totally against pressfit bottom brackets and buried cables. This bike takes nothing to put in new cables and I don['t see any gain in a CF bike except it might weigh less if you want to go that direction.

And of course there is not weight limit on this TI frame although a given wheelset might have a weight limit. I weight about 169 pounds but I am sure a 300 pounder would have not problem on a good well built sturdy wheelset.

Get a TI and your are done looking.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 07-22-20, 02:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Leonard Zinn can build you a ti bike that is safe and suitable for your weight (and an excellent bike).
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-22-20, 02:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Leonard Zinn can build you a ti bike that is safe and suitable for your weight (and an excellent bike).
Yes, Zinn's specialty is building bikes for large people. However, there are plenty of off-the-shelf bikes (ti and steel) that can handle very high weights. Even most cf frames effectively have no weight limits. Most good frames are stronger than the wheels and cockpit components attached to them.
Old 07-22-20, 03:52 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Ti bikes are known for their flexibility. If the flexibility is optimized for an average sized person, it might be too flexible for a heavier person. Still rideable, but with more flex than is ideal.

There are a number of custom ti bike builders in Australia. If you're heavier and plan on staying heavier, maybe custom ti bike is worth the cost.
Old 07-23-20, 10:18 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Clyde on a Lynskey

I am right around 230 lbs. I have a Lynskey R350 with maybe 10k miles on it. No issues. The bike is wobble free up to 35 MPH peddling as hard as I can with a little help from a good strong tail wind.

As others have mentioned, wheels and some of the other components will be the biggest issue. When I weighed 270 I had a custom wheel set made with 36 spokes, Hope hubs and DT Swiss rims and spokes.

Current wheels are Rolf Echelon and the front has been flawless. I broke a couple spokes on the rear which Rolf fixed and they say I should not have any issues.

I have a carbon seat post and at 230 it is not a problem. I did break one on my MTB by landing off a jump while seated. Not the most fun I have ever had. MTB now has a Thompson alloy post, which is less than 100 grams more than the carbon post.
Old 07-23-20, 11:43 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I am right around 230 lbs. I have a Lynskey R350 with maybe 10k miles on it. No issues. The bike is wobble free up to 35 MPH peddling as hard as I can with a little help from a good strong tail wind.

As others have mentioned, wheels and some of the other components will be the biggest issue. When I weighed 270 I had a custom wheel set made with 36 spokes, Hope hubs and DT Swiss rims and spokes.

Current wheels are Rolf Echelon and the front has been flawless. I broke a couple spokes on the rear which Rolf fixed and they say I should not have any issues.

I have a carbon seat post and at 230 it is not a problem. I did break one on my MTB by landing off a jump while seated. Not the most fun I have ever had. MTB now has a Thompson alloy post, which is less than 100 grams more than the carbon post.
I'm about the same size. I also have a carbon seat post and bars on my TI (Bikes direct) bike. I also have an aluminum Trek Emonda but the TI bike gets most of the rides. Its a real pleasure to ride. My other components have held up just fine. I have a set of wheels with 20 spokes front and 24 rear. They stay true just fine.
Old 07-25-20, 10:39 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
I am a heavy rider and my ti Foundry Chilkoot has held me quite well. I have 32h wheels handbuilt with White Industries T11 hubs, Sapim Force spokes and SecureLock Brass nipples on H+Son Archetypes and my finishing kit is Ritchey Classic seatpost and stem and Zipp Service Course SL-70 Ergo bars and I am running Ultegra Di2 6800. The bike is extremely comfortable and doesn't feel extremely flexy on me.

I also have two titanium mountain bikes that I am building up.
Old 07-25-20, 10:58 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
I would love to have one of these.

Unfortunately I am poor.

Likes For Wileyone:
Old 07-29-20, 10:50 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
I ride a Lynskey R270 Disc at 183-191lbs, no complaints. Fat down tube actually makes it feel pretty stiff laterally, too.

That Dekerf though... shmexy.
Old 07-30-20, 12:34 AM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Don't stress about the frame. Stress about good wheels. Pretty much all weight is absorbed by your tyres and spokes.

I ride this thing at 280lbs and it's pretty much all carbon. I've ridden carbon bikes and alloy with good wheels as high as 330lbs. Never had anything go on me except thin spokes on low spoke count wheels.

Likes For illdrag0n:
Old 07-30-20, 02:38 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
How much weight savings do you get between titanium and steel?
Old 07-30-20, 09:05 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
The short answer is what steel frame and what Ti frame?

I have a steel Ritchey Breakaway 60 cm frame and a Lynskey R350. with a 61 cm frame. With the same wheels on them, the Ritchey is maybe just a little bit lighter. It has Super Record brakes and the Lynskey has Record. The Lynskey is EPS and the RItchey is the lighter cable shift shifting. Both are sitting in the 16-17 pound range, so they are not weight weenie bikes. The Lynskey frame is about 3.5 pounds, the Ritchey is maybe 3.25, but with the slightly lighter components it is a bit lighter. The Lynskey is more stable at speeds above 30 MPH. Both are very comfortable on 20-30 mile rides. Ti is not about light. It is about comfortable, durable, and for me no rust issues in the spring when the ice melting crap is still in every puddle.

A steel Rodriguez Outlaw would probably be a couple pounds lighter. But at 17 pounds in a 61 cm Effective Top Tube frame with a 230 pound rider, the difference is bupkes.
Old 07-30-20, 05:52 PM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
FWIW Steel Bianchi Veloce: 10 kg, Ti Motobecane Ultegra: 8.5 kg, carbon Bianchi Infinito Chorus: 8 kg. All in their default configurations as I bought online or in LBS.

Climbing Mount Diablo in SF Bay Area was about the same on Ti or carbon and noticeably harder on steel.
Old 08-01-20, 03:06 PM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I'm intrigued by Ti but haven't found anything that seems to tick the boxes for me.
Old 08-03-20, 10:32 AM
TSawyerLV

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What are some opinions on Litespeed? I have looked at the Ultimate and T1SL. Are they really bikes that once purchased would satisfy the owner for years?
Old 08-03-20, 11:57 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TSawyerLV
What are some opinions on Litespeed? I have looked at the Ultimate and T1SL. Are they really bikes that once purchased would satisfy the owner for years?
I'm still riding my Litespeed Tuscany I bought in 1999.
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 08-03-20, 02:07 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
Historic, 20th century Lightspeed is now Lynskey - the family sold the brand sometime in 1999. They started Lynskey under their own name sometime in the next decade after their initial non-compete expired.

Last edited by aliasfox; 08-03-20 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 06:10 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
The short answer is what steel frame and what Ti frame?

I have a steel Ritchey Breakaway 60 cm frame and a Lynskey R350. with a 61 cm frame. With the same wheels on them, the Ritchey is maybe just a little bit lighter. It has Super Record brakes and the Lynskey has Record. The Lynskey is EPS and the RItchey is the lighter cable shift shifting. Both are sitting in the 16-17 pound range, so they are not weight weenie bikes. The Lynskey frame is about 3.5 pounds, the Ritchey is maybe 3.25, but with the slightly lighter components it is a bit lighter. The Lynskey is more stable at speeds above 30 MPH. Both are very comfortable on 20-30 mile rides. Ti is not about light. It is about comfortable, durable, and for me no rust issues in the spring when the ice melting crap is still in every puddle.

A steel Rodriguez Outlaw would probably be a couple pounds lighter. But at 17 pounds in a 61 cm Effective Top Tube frame with a 230 pound rider, the difference is bupkes.

weights listed on weight weenies would suggest that the Lynsey frame is just about a pound lighter than the Ritchey, so the weight difference you’re seeing is likely in the build.

I agree though with your point that you have to compare specific bikes.

That said, the difference between a steel frame and a comparable steel frame is usually around 300-400 grams or so.

For example my Merlinextralight frame ways 1200 grams. While you can find steel frames under 1500 grams, they’re not going to be as stiff as the Merlin. A comparable steel frame would be something like a Colnago MasterXlight that comes in at 1598grams.

you can certainly find lighter steel frames, but I’d suggest that most super light steel frames would be more reasonably compared to an ultralight Ti frame such as a Litespeed Ghisallo at 898 grams.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-04-20, 06:17 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts

I would never buy a bike from the American Bicycle Group. IMHO, they ran the Litespeed brand into the ground after purchasing it from Lynskey. There are multiple threads on here, about ABG screwing Litespeed owners on warranty claims. I personally have jade teammates treated very poorly by the ABG Litespeed.

IMHO, if you want a “litespeed”, buy a true one made by the Lynskey family.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 08-04-20, 01:38 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I ride a Lynskey R270 Disc at 183-191lbs, no complaints. Fat down tube actually makes it feel pretty stiff laterally, too.

That Dekerf though... shmexy.
More importantly - how's it staying up?
Old 08-04-20, 01:43 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
My main ride is a 2000 Vortex I bought used in 2003 - it really is a forever bike. Although Litespeed ownership changed hands in 1999 I think, I doubt if the actual fabricating/welding personnel changed straight away (my frame still has a David Lynskey signature in the chainstay). However, just because currently LSs aren't "Lynskey-built" doesn't necessarily mean that they're somehow inferior. That being said, if I were in the market for a Ti frame, I would look at Lynskey first simply because they still use threaded BBs. LS appears to have gone all-in on press-fits

Last edited by Litespud; 08-04-20 at 01:48 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.