Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon Rims made in US, Canada or Europe

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-18-21, 07:54 PM
A2Doug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I believe Enve and HED carbon rims are US made. Any others made in US, Canada or Europe?
Old 03-19-21, 06:04 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
You’re into that Western world, northern hemisphere thing, eh?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-19-21, 01:53 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I believe the top line Bontrager Aeolus wheelsets are made in the USA and Lightweight wheels are made in Germany. Though each of these companies only sell complete wheelsets vs rims.
Old 03-19-21, 02:07 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Enve said their forks were made in the US until they had a recall on the road forks a few years back. Then suddenly it is revealed that they came from Vietnam.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 03-19-21, 02:53 PM
allepunta

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
corima wheels, made in france?
Old 03-19-21, 03:08 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Woven from Ontario; https://wovenprecision.com/about/
We Are One from Kamloops; https://www.weareonecomposites.com/s...t/rim-only-519
Old 03-19-21, 04:18 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Most of the big name bike framesets are made in China. This has led to the fact that most of the high end very well made carbon components including wheels (SUPERteam). The problems I've had with carbon wheels is that when you over-inflate them the wheels become delaminated between the layers of the rims. I don't care who you are or where you're making wheels, this is a problem with the manufacturing method so it doesn't matter where they're made. Now I only use Clinchers because this is a lot less likely.
Old 03-19-21, 04:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Zipp are made in Indiana.
Old 03-19-21, 04:57 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20805 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Zipp are made in Indiana.
Not all of them, not anymore.
Old 03-19-21, 05:11 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Boyd cycling
Likes For biketampa:
Old 03-19-21, 05:33 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Most of the big name bike framesets are made in China. This has led to the fact that most of the high end very well made carbon components including wheels (SUPERteam). The problems I've had with carbon wheels is that when you over-inflate them the wheels become delaminated between the layers of the rims. I don't care who you are or where you're making wheels, this is a problem with the manufacturing method so it doesn't matter where they're made. Now I only use Clinchers because this is a lot less likely.
So.. carbon rims are not Clinchers? Is Clinchers a brand name or something? Why is it capitalized? I am dazed and confused.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 03-20-21, 05:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Meilenstein?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-20-21, 05:58 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Do the rims need to be white, or just the people making them?

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-20-21 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-20-21, 06:31 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
Boyd cycling
Boyd rims are made in Taiwan. Check their website.
That being said, I have Boyd wheels and love them.
Old 03-20-21, 08:43 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by bOsscO
Woven build wheels, they don’t make rims.
Old 03-20-21, 09:54 AM
A2Doug

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Do the rims need to be white, or just the people making them?
Upon reflection, you raise a fair point, though one that is complicated and would need a better discussion venue than a bike-focused forum. I recognize that our hobby/sport, at least in the US, is not very diverse, and I also recognize that someone buying custom carbon bike wheels is privileged, by definition.

I have concerns with manufacturing quality from China, based on personal experience. There are certainly many Chinese suppliers making high quality products in many categories, but I do not know how to evaluate the rims coming from there and choose to buy products made elsewhere when possible. I believe my position is more anti-Chinese-manufacturing-practices, not anti-Chinese-people. So, why did I say US, Canada and Europe. I should have said "not China" since I am not intentionally avoiding all non-Western sources. For example, it appears that Taiwanese manufacturers make some of the highest quality bikes and components, and I own various bike products made there (as well as products made in China). However, I have had trouble determining which Taiwanese manufacturers are actually making product there rather than subbing it out. Manufacturers' websites are often vague. I would certainly consider other sources. I also recognize that manufacturing elsewhere is no guarantee of quality or of good manufacturing practices. Since I don't have a good way to sort, I am using a rough filter, which as you point out, raises some troubling issues. I am likely to go with Enve rims for a variety of reasons, but thought I would post to see what other options I may have missed. I apologize if asked an offensive question or asked it in an offensive way.
Likes For A2Doug:
Old 03-20-21, 11:38 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by A2Doug
Upon reflection, you raise a fair point, though one that is complicated and would need a better discussion venue than a bike-focused forum. I recognize that our hobby/sport, at least in the US, is not very diverse, and I also recognize that someone buying custom carbon bike wheels is privileged, by definition.

I have concerns with manufacturing quality from China, based on personal experience. There are certainly many Chinese suppliers making high quality products in many categories, but I do not know how to evaluate the rims coming from there and choose to buy products made elsewhere when possible. I believe my position is more anti-Chinese-manufacturing-practices, not anti-Chinese-people. So, why did I say US, Canada and Europe. I should have said "not China" since I am not intentionally avoiding all non-Western sources. For example, it appears that Taiwanese manufacturers make some of the highest quality bikes and components, and I own various bike products made there (as well as products made in China). However, I have had trouble determining which Taiwanese manufacturers are actually making product there rather than subbing it out. Manufacturers' websites are often vague. I would certainly consider other sources. I also recognize that manufacturing elsewhere is no guarantee of quality or of good manufacturing practices. Since I don't have a good way to sort, I am using a rough filter, which as you point out, raises some troubling issues. I am likely to go with Enve rims for a variety of reasons, but thought I would post to see what other options I may have missed. I apologize if asked an offensive question or asked it in an offensive way.
Thanks for that. I do think the OP was poorly phrased for what you were trying to ask, and implied troubling, inaccurate, and unfair biases. I read the question you’re asking to be simply, “how do I choose quality carbon fiber rims?”

The answer to that, I think, is by brand reputation primarily. There’s not really that much variance in production methods (leaving aside filament winding for now), so the differences are in materials choice to some extent, and in large part, in process control.

In the case of materials choice, that’s stuff the consumer will never have access to onow about. Things like what the resin supplier is giving to the prepreg CF producer are just too far down the production chain for consumers to be making choices about that stuff, so that’s why I say it comes down to brand reputation.

Brands can communicate to consumers the steps they take to ensure quality, and can offer guarantees on that quality, which is probably the most important thing.

It’s about 8 years old, but take for example this vid from Easton documenting their production process. While it’s clearly had work intensive and requires care, the basic quality of the rim is controlled by the process, including the automated steps like laser cutting of the prepreg.

In which country this work is done is largely irrelevant to quality, but a major factor in the manufacturer’s labor costs.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-20-21, 06:26 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Astral/Rolf Prima? I know the company is in Oregon but I'm not sure if their carbon rims are actually made there. https://astralcycling.com/collections/road-rims/carbon

David
Likes For David in Maine:
Old 03-20-21, 06:44 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts

I have to give you big props for responding thoughtfully to my snarky comment. I am impressed.

I get what you mean now.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-20-21, 07:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have to give you big props for responding thoughtfully to my snarky comment. I am impressed.

I get what you mean now.
I give both of you big props. A reasonable question was raised, a thoughtful response offered, and a nice acceptance from the questioner. Things like this usually degenerate quickly, but this one went in the opposite direction.

Oh, and I'll add Whisky Parts Co as another option for rims. I don't know where they are made (I'd guess Taiwan), but it is a QBP company - so I would guess the quality is solid.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-20-21, 07:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
So.. carbon rims are not Clinchers? Is Clinchers a brand name or something? Why is it capitalized? I am dazed and confused.
It's not true. Me I just wanted a woman but I never bargained for you.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-22-21, 12:40 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by David in Maine
Astral/Rolf Prima? I know the company is in Oregon but I'm not sure if their carbon rims are actually made there. https://astralcycling.com/collections/road-rims/carbon

David
Rolfs cheapest alloy and carbon hoops and hubs are China of memory is correct, anything above that threshold is US made, with spokes from Belgium. All hand built in Oregon. Just put a set of Vigors on my Cannondale.

Likes For Melvang:
Old 03-22-21, 09:05 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Woven build wheels, they don’t make rims.
True, true.
Old 03-22-21, 10:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
beat back the beasts!