Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2019 Allez Sprint Disc headset issue or questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 05:03 PM
veloci1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just picked up a brand new 2019 Allez Sprint Disc from my LBS. got a good deal, but, i am struggling with the headset. i have installed the provided HS following the instructions ( have done this for many, many bikes) and when i torque down the HS cap, the 20 mm cone spacer places pressure on the bearings and the HS feels too tight. the handlebars do not move freely. i have removed the cone spacer and replaced it with 20 mm of regular spacers and it works perfect. so, i am assuming that i got the incorrect cone spacer, correct?

has anyone gone though something like this in the Allez? BTW, i would like to use the cone spacer to keep dust and debris away from the top bearing.
Old 05-03-21, 05:31 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You don't 'torque down' a headset top cap. You adjust the headset properly but there is no specific torque value...despite the possibility of there being one etched on the cap.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-03-21, 05:54 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
As far as I know, allez sprints use a low stack upper headset bearing cap, and no cone spacer like some other bikes (allez elite). You should be good. But I would wonder why you were given the wrong spacer in the first place.

EDIT: yeah never mind: https://www.amaincycling.com/special...00002/p1142676

If you see a difference in headset function between the cone spacer and a regular spacer, you should be very worried. Because it looks like the cone spacer is OE
Old 05-04-21, 07:31 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I've run into this issue a couple times with different bikes. You may need a small spacer under the cap.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-05-21, 08:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Specialized sucks at headsets they make fine bikes and such but headsets they have failed many times. However as topflightpro said a small thin washer on top of the bearings can help solve problems. Also listen to what cxwrench said, no real torquing just tighten till it is able to move freely and not bind but not so loose that things have play. It is not a number on a wrench it is a feeling which normally we wouldn't say normally you tighten every bolt to proper spec but in the case of bearing preload it is feeling and intuition then anything else.