Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

[Chainring guard] Same size? Bigger?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-21, 03:52 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello,

I have a triple crankset whose outer ring was removed, so could welcome a chainring protector.

It's BD110, five arms, and the middle ring is 46T.

I was wondering if the chainring guard should be the same size (46T) or bigger (48T).

Thank you.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32922258464.html
Old 07-22-21, 06:21 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
There's no industry standard of how to label ring guards sizes. So until a specific ring guard is placed against your ring you really don't know how much larger across the guard is compared to the ring. Generally one wants the guard to be slightly bigger across then the ring is but not so much so that the ft der needs to be too high, for good shifting, to clear the guard. Most just trust the manufacturer's ad copy Andy
Old 07-22-21, 09:51 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks.

The seller answered that I should use the same size (46T), and the default model, which is for single chainrings (It's also available for double chainrings).

I wonder what the difference is between the two, as there's no picture that shows the two models.