Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

my feet naturally point outward - should i try to fight it with my cleat positioning?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

my feet naturally point outward - should i try to fight it with my cleat positioning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 08:58 AM
mattkime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

new shoes, new cleats. i set everything to neutral position. yet when i ride i feel like my feet are pointed inward and i'm pigeon toed. I rode today without adjusting the cleat position and i could feel the difference in my muscles all the way up through my legs.

I blame it on many years of playing soccer.

anyone else have this? how do you account for it?
Old 04-26-11, 09:30 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I used to toe my SPD-SL cleats in a little, which helped but I would still get an occasional twinge along my knee.

Since, I have switched to Speedplay and initially, left the float "wide open" so that my feet could find their natural position. Over time, I've narrowed down the float till there is only a little left, so now everything is set. No knee problems or aches.
Old 04-26-11, 09:30 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
No, as since I was about 9 years old my cleats have alwyas been properly set up to avoid injury.

Pigeon toed has your toes pointed inward. If your feet are pointed inward then that's the nautral position for you but you have not accounted for the pronation or supination of your feet. So, to me your comment is confusing. Neutral is your foot parallel to the bike and the ground. No one walks that way, at least in many years of doing this.

Easiest way to hurt yourself on a bike without falling off is not knowing how to set up your cleats. Ankle, knee, hip all should be in a straight line when you are pedaling.

My heels are slightly inward and I have a shim under my right foot to straighten (level) it.
Old 04-26-11, 09:32 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I used to toe my SPD-SL cleats in a little, which helped but I would still get an occasional twinge along my knee.

Since, I have switched to Speedplay and initially, left the float "wide open" so that my feet could find their natural position. Over time, I've narrowed down the float till there is only a little left, so now everything is set. No knee problems or aches.
Float helps a lot of you don't want to go to the trouble of getting htem set up properly. Since I rode toe clips and cleats most of my racing life, I hate float, but as I said all my stuff's been dialed in since day one.
Old 04-26-11, 09:36 AM
RMMJ

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use these.

https://www.kneesaver.net/

And Speedplay pedals. the ones with a lot of float, I think the X-5s (blue color)

Last edited by RMMJ; 04-26-11 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-26-11, 09:41 AM
beerob81
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what kind of soccer player has outward facing feet? I've played all my life and my feet toe in more than out because of it...like an open faced golf club, i would imagine your kick to be horrible or your stance to be adjusted for your foot position. these could help though...hope they make them in carbon fiber
Old 04-26-11, 09:42 AM
beerob81
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just kidding btw...the kneesaver thing seems like your best bet if you dont feel comfortable riding with your feet straight...although i wonder how much power loss to the pedal you get by not having your downward force in alignment...
Old 04-26-11, 09:47 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Like almost everything related to fit on a bike:

Set it so it doesn't hurt.
Old 04-26-11, 09:57 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
There's no way should try to fight your natural toe point, because it's possibly one of the quickest ways to hurt your knees. My toes natural point out, so I put my cleats on the suitable angle to cator for it. The only drawback is that my feet rub on the cranks, and on certain frames (with 'sticky outy' chain stays) my heels sometimes hit the stays. I also can't use some wide shoes, such as Bonts. Another tip to get your feet slightly further away from the cranks (if your shoes rub too much for your liking) is to use cleat bolt washers with narrow edges, or use 1 or 2mm of pedal washers
Old 04-26-11, 10:04 AM
mattkime

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
My toes natural point out, so I put my cleats on the suitable angle to cator for it. The only drawback is that my feet rub on the cranks, and on certain frames (with 'sticky outy' chain stays) my heels sometimes hit the stays.
yes, thats definitely me.
Old 04-26-11, 11:24 AM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
my toes point out a bit, and for some reason, i've developed this thing where i put all the pressure on the outside of my foot.

rather than buy wedges, i'm giving a shot to consciously walking and pedaling with my feet evenly flat on the ground. no knee pain yet, but i can feel the difference when i pedal. hopefully it is something you can train yourself out of.
Old 04-26-11, 11:31 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Float helps a lot of you don't want to go to the trouble of getting htem set up properly. Since I rode toe clips and cleats most of my racing life, I hate float, but as I said all my stuff's been dialed in since day one.
I dont have the luxury of popping to a fit shop, living as I do on an island 1000km away from anything resembling civilization. So it took me a while to get things dialed in - but yeah, you are right, once it was dialled in, I didnt need as much float. I still keep a little bit just in case.

Although, even when the float is there, my feet dont move around in the pedals, so I dont really notice it except when unclipping.
Old 04-26-11, 11:34 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by Inertianinja
my toes point out a bit, and for some reason, i've developed this thing where i put all the pressure on the outside of my foot.

rather than buy wedges, i'm giving a shot to consciously walking and pedaling with my feet evenly flat on the ground. no knee pain yet, but i can feel the difference when i pedal. hopefully it is something you can train yourself out of.
I am in a similar situation. I find that when I put my feet evenly and flat on the ground, my knees tend to fold in. I focus on keeping my legs and knees aligned, and letting the feet fall where they may. The wedges work wonders.
Old 04-26-11, 11:35 AM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I struggled with knee pain for a while and still have some issues from time to time. I've done a number of things to try to address this with varying degrees of success. My toes naturally point out while standing, so I (my first fitter, actually) originally set up my cleats that way. I noticed over the course of time, however, that when my knees started to hurt in the usual spot (inside of knee) I could force my heel in (meaning that I would essentially force my foot to point straight ahead, rather than its natural toe-out position) and that would reduce or eliminate my knee pain. I now do this intentionally every time I ride (and perhaps I should adjust my cleats so this happens without me having to intentionally do it).

YMMV, but what I learned is that what feels natural when standing or even walking may not yield the best results on the bike (in my case).

Good luck.
Old 04-26-11, 11:48 AM
ladyraestewart

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neutral is your foot parallel to the bike and the ground. No one walks that way,
I do and I have never had hip, thigh, knee, ankle nor foot problems, aches or pains.
Old 04-26-11, 12:07 PM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go get and pay for a proper fit!
Old 04-26-11, 12:37 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

My heels are slightly inward and I have a shim under my right foot to straighten (level) it.
Inwards - is that like pronation (foot rolls inwards)?

Do you use the wedge to straighten out the foot, or to level out the pressure applied by it - in other words, is the thick end of the wedge on the outside or the inside?
Old 04-26-11, 12:45 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
Pedal Spacers.

https://www.bikefit.com/products.php
Old 04-27-11, 08:09 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by RMMJ
I use these.

https://www.kneesaver.net/

And Speedplay pedals. the ones with a lot of float, I think the X-5s (blue color)
Wow, those are expensive at $48 shipped.

Same thing for under $20 at Amazon:
Old 04-27-11, 09:21 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I'm "walks like a duck" also. Speedplay X and possibly pedal washers or in extreme case pedal savers are the solution. Wedges are for a different problem, pronation. For all who think his feet point in go reread the OP.
Old 04-27-11, 09:25 AM
mrnotwo

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champ Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've developed knee issues as well and I got the duck walk. Pro fitter put me 2 shims but I am still not sure if it's helping me. I have shimano spdsl pedals, maybe moving to speedplays might be the solution. Very useful thread.
Old 04-27-11, 11:58 AM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
make sure you dial in toe before foot bed angle, speaking from experience, toe out seems to decrease footbed angle in my situation. where toe in increases it.
Old 04-27-11, 12:13 PM
spry

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Easier to buy a recumbent and quack
Old 04-27-11, 12:15 PM
thcri

Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I toes point out also. My right heel hits the chainstay on my new bike. When I started riding last year on a Mountain Bike I got Shimano R540's. On my first ride which was a long one my knees started burning. I though well maybe the long ride and the new pedals it may be expected. The pain never really went away until winter. Spring comes and a new bike does too so I buy a pair of PD-5700's to go with my existing cleats and I would be able to switch between bikes. Burning knees appeared again. I started riding my new bike with just tennis shoes and the pain went away. After the pain went away I rode again with my cleats and pedals and the pain came back. Here someone told me about Speed Play and I bought a set. So far now with over 400 miles I have not experienced any pain.

I think fit is very important on any pedal. The Speed Play with their float is probably more forgiving. Shimano's have been good for a lot of people and riding with groups I see a lot of them. They just didn't do it for me.
Old 04-27-11, 12:19 PM
omen7288

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was having right inner knee pain on longer rides on my mtb (20-40 miles). After looking in the mirror and trying to stand in my natural position, I noticed my right foot was pointed slightly outward. So I adjusted my cleat so my heel is more inward towards the chainstay. I use the same shoes/cleats/pedals on my road bike and left them that way. So far no problems. I did not have to adjust both cleats, only my right. So far this has helped. If tweaking or minor changes don't work, I would go get fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.